Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #21
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Private Game for Jericho Group - Zombie Apocalypse [IC]

Skipper’s Log: 7:05PM EST, July 18th, 2017 – St. Augustine Marina

Dr. Kai and his siblings are loaded up and ready to depart. Too bad Tyler came down with the flu…he would have really enjoyed this group of passengers. Speaking of the flu, apparently it’s going around like crazy now. It’s pretty strange since it’s a little warm for flu season, but I suppose it happens.

We have a pretty diverse group of guests on board. In addition to Dr. Kai there is Kelsey, a horse rancher out of Texas. She’s very friendly but not good with personal space. She also might be hard of hearing…I have no other explanation for why she is so loud. Then there is Mike who, best I can tell, is a bona-fide rocket scientist, or something like that. He had a lot of questions about The Venture…strange things that people don’t normally ask. Stuff like “What’s her draught, fuel capacity, is she petrol or diesel, etc.” He’s definitely a gear head. Next is Sam. She looks like a personal trainer or athlete of some sort. I saw her pick up the large drink cooler, prop it on her shoulder, and carry it up into The Venture like it was nothing. Fully loaded, that thing is easily 120+ pounds, and it normally takes both Tyler and I to load it on the ship. I also get the notion that it would be hazardous to your health to **** her off. Clint is a pretty chatty guy…but I think he drank the “Bear Grylls Kool-Aid” (seriously…who watches that guy’s stuff anymore?). He does seem to know a little about boating and fishing. He and Mike were both talking about how they can’t wait to try catching some Marlin or Tuna. Clint even shared some bits about his secret pan-seared spiced Yellow-tail recipe. If it tastes like it sounds, I probably won’t miss the fondue set after all. Finally there is Frank. He’s kept to himself and didn’t seem to keen on making conversation with me, though he does seem to relax a little bit around his siblings. I know we have never met, but he does look vaguely familiar. I might ask him about once he loosens up. Oh…and the fur coat…I HAVE to know why he boarded wearing a fur coat…in Florida…in July.

Everyone is settled in and having drinks and telling stories on the fly deck. It’s time to get this show on the road.

Skipper’s Log: 6:37AM EST, July 20th, 2017 – Atlantic Ocean

Day two out in the open sea and it’s mostly good news.

The weather is holding up nicely, and we are making good time. We should make it Barton’s Cove a few hours ahead of schedule.

The bad news is that Tyler never brought the sat phone onboard. He must have had it in his luggage…again. Dan never made it out to check the radio, so let’s hope it holds up.

Skipper’s Log: 2:15PM EST, July 25th, 2017 – Barton’s Cove

It’s our 2nd day on the island and everyone seems to be having a great time. We had a very nice ceremony on the beach yesterday afternoon where Dr. Kai spread Helen’s ashes and everyone took turns saying some words about their foster mother. She sounded like a wonderful woman…a real “Mother Theresa” if you will. I’m sad that I didn’t get a chance to meet her.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
TheOneRonin

Skipper’s Log: 1:50PM EST, July 31st, 2017 – Barton’s Cove

Well, looks like we aren’t leaving today as planned. It’s been raining and windy since this morning…that tropical storm must have turned north. The water is way too rough, so we will have to wait it out.

Skipper’s log: 9:06AM EST, August 3rd, 2017 – Barton’s Cove

The weather is FINALLY letting up. Seems that tropical storm/hurricane parked its butt right over us for almost 3 days straight. Good thing it’s past us…we have just enough food and water to make it back to St. Augustine. If we were stuck here any longer, we’d have to go to Bermuda for resupply, and that would just delay the return trip even more.

Dr. Kai and I just finished checking out the 78. She’s in mostly good shape, though the fly deck really took a beating. The radio antenna and radar dish both snapped clean off, so that means no radar, and only very short range radio (when it works) for the trip home. Also, we had to re-patch the water storage tank. We will need to keep a close eye on water usage for the next couple of days.

It’s been fun, mostly, but I’m ready to get back home.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
TheOneRonin

Skipper’s log: 5:31PM EST, August 8th, 2017 – Just off the coast of St. Augustine, FL

Something is most definitely not right. We started seeing smoke coming from multiple areas along the coast this morning, and now we are close enough to tell there are several fires burning all over St. Augustine and points north. It looks like it is even worse up by Jacksonville. We’ve also heard lots of sporadic gunfire and a few explosions. Dr. Kai pointed out a complete lack of police or fire truck sirens, which is really scary considering all the chaos that seems to be going on. Frank mentioned that he had no cell service on his phone, and so we all checked ours…same thing…no service. And we are plenty close enough to get some sort of signal. The radio has been mostly worthless, so we are all completely in the dark. We will wait until sunrise to anchor… it should be less dangerous once the sun is up.

Skipper’s log: 8:45PM EST, August 8th, 2017 – Just off the coast of St. Augustine, FL

Things just keep getting stranger. Just before sunset this evening we were approached by a Catalina 18 sailing in from the south. Dr. Kai had a few words with the crew before letting them board. The crew ended up being a family…the husband, Carlos Romero, his wife Stephanie, and their 3 kids…Elizabeth, Matthew, and Lucas.

According to Carlos, everything started falling apart around the time we left. Apparently there was a mass outbreak of what everyone thought of as the flu all over the country. People were getting sick left and right, and no one knew why. Hospitals were filling to capacity, and people were starting to panic. Then about week after it started, the infected started dying, en mass.

I’m not sure about the rest of what I’m going to write here, but Carlos swears on his life it is true. The people who died started…coming back. It’s like they never were really dead…but they were…changed. Reports were that they violent, hostile, inarticulate, and unable to communicate. That’s when the **** really hit the fan. There was shooting and violence and looting and all sorts of hysteria. Carlos grabbed his family and was able to get out on his Catalina. They initially sailed south towards Miami where Carlos’s sister lives, but they saw/heard the same thing…fires burning, gun shots, and just anarchy. So he decided to turn around and head back north, and that’s where he found us.

Carlos was hoping to find some supplies…they are running short on food and water. Carlos drives a Culligan water delivery truck, and it’s parked at the Castillo de San Marcos. At the very least, he was going to try and get his family some drinking water and maybe scrounge some supplies.

Stephanie also let us know that they are running low on asthma medication for Lucas, and she doesn’t know what they will do when he is out.

Kai has called everyone to the upper deck to talk about the next steps. We don’t have very much left in the way of food and water…maybe a couple of days at best, and the 78 is very low on fuel…there isn’t enough to get us very far, but if we stay anchored and just run the electrical systems, we are good for a least a week.

Regardless of what we do, we cannot stay here on the boat forever. I don’t know what is waiting for us inland, but it sure scares the hell out of me.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #24
TheOneRonin

9:30PM EST, August 8th, 2017 – Just off the coast of St. Augustine, FL

Ben, the Yacht’s skipper, hustled into the common room on the mid deck of the 78, a crumpled notepad in his hand. Carlos Romero, the owner of the Catalina Sailboat currently tethered to the Yacht followed right on his heels.

Carlos’ wife and kids were bunking on the Catalina, but the rest of the passengers of the 78 had gathered into the common area on the mid-deck of the 78. Ben had turned off the electrical systems of the yacht in order to conserve power, which only added to the stifling heat and oppressive humidity so typical of summertime in Florida. Even the breeze blowing through the open windows on the yacht did little to cool everyone off.

“Carlos and I finished the supply inventory and it’s not good.” Ben glanced down at the crumpled notepad and continued. “We have enough food to feed us all for just under a week…maybe 5 or 6 days, but we will be out of drinking water in less than 3 days. What’s worse is that Lucas is out of asthma medicine, and the heat isn’t helping. He’s going to need more meds very soon.”

Ben glanced back at Carlos, pity for the 6 year-old evident in his gaze.

“The 78 doesn’t have enough fuel to go very far, but if we stay anchored and use the electrical systems sparingly, we can stretch out the fuel for a week or more. The Catalina isn’t any better off…but she has a sail once she’s out of gas.”

“The radio on the 78 is still shot, so no help there. Not that I think we could call anyone to help. If the coast guard could help, they’d be here already.”

Ben lets his gaze sweep the passengers in the common room.

“I don’t know what to do next, but we have to do something before we are out of food and water.”
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #25
Rhoopes73

It had been quite a journey. It started off as a nice vacation, if a touch bitter sweet. They had a small ceremony and released Helen's ashes on the beach. Then thing started going wrong. First the storm kept them trapped on the island and he had to extend his vacation. Then, on their way back, the strange fires and gunfire. Something had sparked riots and looting. Then they met the Romero's with a strange story about a plague and the dead coming back to life. That was, of course, quite impossible. The dead did not come back to life. Perhaps it was some mutated version of the rabies virus or something, causing the disorientation and violence. One thing was clear, however, they needed to find out what was happening. According to Ben, supplies were low, especially water, and the youngest Romero, Lucas, was out of medicine. However, if there was looting going on, the yacht would make a tempting target. The skiff would only hold about three people and not really be able to carry back supplies.

"Ben's right," Kai added. "We have to do something. However, going to the city looks dangerous, especially since I have not heard any police sirens. If there are looters running around, this yacht would make a tempting target. On the other hand, the skiff will only hold about three people with no room for any supplies. It will, however, allow three of us to get to shore and find out what is going on there. Either way, we will probably want something to protect ourselves. I assume the boat has a flare gun, which may be enough to scare off the average looter, though not if they are determined and armed. I suggest we decide if we want to go in all together or just send a few of us ashore in the skiff for information and that we search the boat for anything that may be of use to protect ourselves as we go ashore."
Rhoopes73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #26
TheOneRonin

Ben, the Yacht's skipper, nods his head at Dr. Kai's assessment.

"You're right about the flare gun. I have it and 3 flares up front. If some of you decide go go ashore, I can bring the 78 in to Camachee Cove to drop you guys off, but I doubt it would be safe to stay there. I can pull her back off shore, and you can shoot a flare when you get back. We will be on the look out for it, and I can bring her back in to pick you guys up."
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #27
MHLouviere

Sam stood on the bow of the yacht, flexing her hands at her side. She had stepped away to think and try to make sense of things. "What in the hell happened here?" She mostly spoke to herself but didn't care if anyone heard her. Sam turned and walked back toward the group. "I'll go. I can carry supplies and provide some hands-on protection should we need it...and by the sound of things, we'll need it."
MHLouviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #28
UrzaHarkonnen

Clint took his black cowboy hat off his head and held it to his chest, solemnly gazing across the shoreline at the ruin that lie beyond. "It ain't right..."
He swallowed hard before placing the hat back upon it's throne.
"I don't feel right with anyone goin' into what looks like a news story in Syria than our home state, but a bold man once said 'Bravery is not a quality of the body. It is of the soul.' -Bear Grylls"
Clint nodded, "I'll go ashore when we go ashore."
UrzaHarkonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #29
TheOneRonin

Kelsey stands up and wipes the sweat off her brow.

"Dang it...if you guys are going, so am I! And I've got somthin' for those looters if they try anything funny."

Kelsey mimes bringing a rifle to her shoulder and aiming down the sites.

"Got me a 20-gauge crack-barrel in the back of ma truck. I probably have a box of shells somewhere back there too!"
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #30
MHLouviere

"Hey Mikey...you coming to shore? If so, think you could grab my gloves from your car? If not, I'm gonna smash your windows in...if they aren't already."
MHLouviere is offline   Reply With Quote