Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Ogre Computer Game

It's at the very least, a really good start. I have STEAM and also prefer playing offline, but this may be a good first step to getting the digital game onto other platforms down the road.

I'm really stoked for this.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
Tim Kauffman

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3o0&ajaxhist=0

:D
Old 08-30-2016, 12:20 AM   #13
Phasma Felis

Steam is DRM-optional; it's the publisher's decision. Plenty of games sold on Steam can be run just fine from their install directory even you've closed the Steam application.
Phasma Felis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #14
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasma Felis View Post
Steam is DRM-optional; it's the publisher's decision. Plenty of games sold on Steam can be run just fine from their install directory even you've closed the Steam application.
Then we can only hope they choose to go that direction
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #15
Misplaced Buckeye

Just saw the one minute video on the pre alpha test of the Ogre computer game. Some observations:

1) Looks like they are going with 3D and not 2D for the game. Movement was smooth but many comments from people about the game allowing stacking in the teaser...almost like it was more GEV or ODE than the original Ogre. Myself I think I'd rather see the Classic Counters from the ODE in 2D for this game and step it up to 3D for an ODE upgrade or second game.

2)The zoom in feature looked very nice when it broke up the stacked units but maybe in the Zoom out the hex needs some type of marker; someone suggested a number over the hex signifying the number of units in the hex.

3) Getting a map editor in 3D might be a big wish compared to just right clicking on a hex ion 2D, selecting editor and being presented with a selection to click and place.

Looking forward this moving forward....
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
1) Looks like they are going with 3D and not 2D for the game. Movement was smooth but many comments from people about the game allowing stacking in the teaser...almost like it was more GEV or ODE than the original Ogre. Myself I think I'd rather see the Classic Counters from the ODE in 2D for this game and step it up to 3D for an ODE upgrade or second game.

2)The zoom in feature looked very nice when it broke up the stacked units but maybe in the Zoom out the hex needs some type of marker; someone suggested a number over the hex signifying the number of units in the hex.
I'm fine with ODE instead of Ogre. We have never had a computer-playable G.E.V., and there's no good reason not to do this right the first time. Making it "just Ogre" is unnecessarily limiting.

I didn't like the color switching for the stacking because that isn't how Ogre works; all your units are the same color. I suppose that might represent a stack of dissimilar units. A number above would better represent, but what do you do when the stack is three different types of units (multiple numbers, etc)? Representing stacking is not a simple nut to crack.

Another note about stacking... I wonder if it will be a hard limit, or a configurable one. As of ODE, 5 is a "recommended" limit. It would be interesting to allow you to set the number as a configuration option.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Another note about stacking... I wonder if it will be a hard limit, or a configurable one. As of ODE, 5 is a "recommended" limit. It would be interesting to allow you to set the number as a configuration option.
The other configurable choice needs to be ramming vs. overrun rules.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #18
ianargent

I'm OK with the stacking being represented by cycling models at the distant zoom levels and "expanding" as the camera zooms in. This was clearly a tech demo of the graphics engine, and while my inner grognard wants the counters, you need the 3D to have wide appeal. Maybe someone can do a "classic counters" model set as a mod.

Which reminds me. For the love of FNORD, don't go out of your way to make modding hard. In fact, try and make choices that make modding easy.
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
I'm OK with the stacking being represented by cycling models at the distant zoom levels and "expanding" as the camera zooms in.
I understand why, but I feel like it would be visually distracting to see cycling pictures on the map. I would like to see that be configurable (speed of cycle, etc), or use a static reference that a stack exists that I can inspect manually.

Quote:
This was clearly a tech demo of the graphics engine, and while my inner grognard wants the counters, you need the 3D to have wide appeal. Maybe someone can do a "classic counters" model set as a mod.
Which reminds me. For the love of FNORD, don't go out of your way to make modding hard. In fact, try and make choices that make modding easy.
/me has a visual of making a counter set that just looks like thick old-school counters backed on foam board.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #20
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasma Felis View Post
Hello there :) We're the developers of the game working with SJGames. We're still a long way off completion so we're looking into such issues now. Basically at this stage we expect the game to have a single player mode, than can be played in Steam's offline mode and also Multiplayer, that needs Steam to be online to run. We're also looking to make use of other online systems such as cloud saves and Steam Workshop. Hope this info helps!
AurochDigital is offline   Reply With Quote