Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #1
The Colonel

Default BRP Demon Armour?

Did anyone ever convert demon armour from Elric/Stormbringer into baseline BRP? As I understand it a direct port would be game breaking due to the different ways the combat systems work...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: BRP Demon Armour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Did anyone ever convert demon armour from Elric/Stormbringer into baseline BRP? As I understand it a direct port would be game breaking due to the different ways the combat systems work...
I'm not familiar with either, but I'm curious. What's the deal with it?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm not familiar with either, but I'm curious. What's the deal with it?
As I understand it, the BRP combat rules use armour as damage resistance, as does Stormbringer (which runs on the BRP engine), but Stormbringer involves more heroic levels of play and armour which would merely be top end in those circumstances becomes game-breakingly immune in the default game.

There's quite a lot I like about the BRP magic system - POW is a very interesting stat and the idea of tying up your overall casting capacity by maintaining enchantments interest me, likewise actually permanently burning POW for various things. Also the idea of a piece of armour that is actually a bound demon is cool lore wise - especially in a modern setting where that piece of armour might look like a duster but be capable of shedding 7.62NATO ball... and biting people who pick your pocket. And attacking you if it you don't keep an eye on it.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Unwilling ally like a wearable demon familiar? Special abilities like allowing its DR to be used by the wearer?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Unwilling ally like a wearable demon familiar? Special abilities like allowing its DR to be used by the wearer?
Well, the archetype is Stormbringer.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
As I recall in the 1st edition of Stormbringer demon armour used its hit points as DR. Non-magical weapons didn't harm the demon, and even a weak demon could give enough protection to stop any attack by a human with a mundane weapon (aside from criticals, which ignored armour, I think). Demon weapons did damage to the demon armour's hit points, and so could eat away at it, and as they did quite a bit of damage, it wouldn't take too long for a demon weapon to chew through an equivalent suit of demon armour - a couple of hits, maybe. Of course that was a couple of hits of survival more than mundane armour would give vs. any decent demon weapon.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote