Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Hyrneson

Default Fractional Wealth

This is from an article by Matt Riggsby.
Is there any way for a person to add these GCA?

Fractional Wealth

Level Points Starting wealth and monthly pay multiplier
Poor -15 1/5
Struggling -2 -14 1/3
Struggling -1 -12 2/5
Struggling -10 1/2
Average -2 -8 2/3
Average -1 -4 3/4
Average 0 1
Average +1 4 1 1/3
Average +2 8 1 2/3
Comfortable 10 2
Comfortable +1 14 3
Comfortable +2 17 4
Wealthy 20 5
Wealthy +1 24 10
Wealthy +2 27 15
Very Wealthy 30 20
Very Wealthy +1 54 30
Very Wealthy +2 88 40
Filthy Rich 100 50

(If the pagination flakes out, sorry.)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Fractional Wealth

I can't think of any reason why that couldn't work in a data file. Although, looking at how wealth is handled right now, I'm not entirely sure what's all going on in there.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I can't think of any reason why that couldn't work in a data file. Although, looking at how wealth is handled right now, I'm not entirely sure what's all going on in there.
There's... a lot going on there because of the bonus to Status and issues related to both the Status Advantage and Disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
This is from an article by Matt Riggsby.
Is there any way for a person to add these GCA?
I'd need to read the article, can you give me the issue number and article title?

The layout of what you posted did go off. If you wrap it in code tags it'll generally hold the formatting [ code ] [ /code ] but without the spaces.

As for the values, they seem a little off if I'm reading what you wrote correctly. It looks like the first second column is the point cost and the third is the wealth multiplier, however this would imply that the article vastly increases the cost of Wealth while decreasing the multiplier since you have Filthy Rich listed as 100 points with a x50 wealth multiplier when the standard rules have it as 50 points and x100 wealth multiplier.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
Hyrneson

Eric, email coming to you.

The article was from volume two of Pyramid, July 28, 2006, "Building the Low-Tech Landscape". It's part of a series that Matt Riggsby wrote on developing a good set of stats for running a medieval realm.
http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=5953

In the last section of the article he proposes that the steps in the rules for wealth are too far apart. He doesn't change the Wealth rule but instead enhances it by providing for additional steps.

- - -
The wealth levels in GURPS are fine for putting a character in a general economic ballpark, but may be regarded as a bit coarse-grained for this kind of work. GURPS has character wealth increasing by factors of two or three or more, when in reality there's a broad range of levels of income. The GM may also want to allow fractional wealth levels to reflect a fuller spectrum of incomes, as detailed here:
[TABLE CAN BE FOUND IN THE ARTICLE]
This is useful for dealing with small gradations both among poor peasants and other workers and among more powerful figures. The difference between a count and a baron, for example, might not be a quantum leap in income and direct holdings, but rather a slightly higher income and the allegiance of several lesser noblemen. The count might have an Ally Group, Wealth (Wealthy+1), and a few points in Independent Income where subordinates simply have Wealth (Wealthy).
If a character takes a fractional wealth level, the GM may want to impose a similar fractional Status adjustment: 2 points for Status +1/3, and 4 points for Status +2/3. Each level of fractional Status increases monthly Cost of Living by 1/3 of the amount of the difference between the higher and lower levels of Status. Status +1/3 provides a +1 Reaction bonus to people of the same Status in circumstances where Status would normally apply. Status +2/3 provides a +1 Reaction bonus to people of the same Status or a Status one lower. The difference is too subtle for people with more distant Status to discern.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I'll take a look into this later, but it does look like if flips the point cost and wealth multiplier of Filthy Rich for some reason. Standard rules are that Filthy Rich costs [50] and gives a Wealth Multiplier of x100, but for some reason this chart lists the cost as [100] with a Wealth Multiplier of x50. The intermediate levels cost and multiplier are then based on this possibly erroneous flipping of cost and multiplier. It also leaves me wondering what "Multimillionaire" would cost and what multiplier it should give.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
Hyrneson

Let's not discount the possibility that I mis-entered the numbers to the chart.
:p