Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default GURPS Dark Sun Conversion

One of my longer-running projects is to create a Dark Sun conversion. I see this as sort of an "Ultimate Dark Sun" project - I will take the coolest parts from the Original Boxed Set, the Revised Boxed Set, and the new edition for D&D 4E. Overall, I will try to recapture the feel of everything without trying to recreate every nuance of the original rules - thus, there might be some simplifications or alterations.

Whenever I come up with something new, I will post it into this thread. Please give me feedback if you think I made some mistakes, or if you have come up with some better way to convert everything.

EDIT: All "finalized" elements of the conversion can be found here!

First, I will start with the races of Dark Sun - and it is only appropriate that I will start with the ones presented in the original boxed set. More exotic races will follow at a later date.

= Races =

== Dwarf (57 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10], HT +2 [20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP +1 [2], Will +1 [5].
Advantages: Extended Lifespan 2 [4], Higher Purpose [5], Infravision [10], Magic Resistance 3 [6].
Disadvantages: Stubbornness [-5].
Features: If the dwarf is killed while having failed his Higher Purpose, he will return as an undead banshee haunting his unfinished works.

Notes: The Higher Purpose of a dwarf is referred to as his focus. This is a longer task that requires at least one week to complete, and the dwarf may choose a new one after finishing it.
The Magic Resistance of dwarves works explicitly against wizardly magic only (defiling or preserving). Alchemical potions/fruits work normally.

== Elf (62 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: DX +2 [40], IQ +1 [20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move +1 [5], [HP -1 [-2]
Advantages: Enhanced Move (Ground, only affects long-distance travel -40%) 0.5 [6], Extended Lifespan 1 [2], Infravision [10], Silence 1 [5], Temperature Tolerance 3 [3].
Disadvantages: Claustrophobia (15) [-7], Elven Code of Honor [-5], Impulsiveness (12) [-10], Reputation -1 (as untrustworthy cheaters, all the time) [-5].

Notes: Due to their Temperature Tolerance, the "comfort zone" of elves ranges from (35-HT) °F to (95+2xHT) °F.

Elven Code of Honor (-5 points): Live for the moment; don't get tied down to a place and reject all confinement; protect and respect your tribe members (and the rare others who you consider your friends); outsiders are potential enemies who might swindle, cheat, or harm you and thus can be swindled and lied to in return.

== Half-Elf (30 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: DX +1 [20]
Advantages: Infravision [10].

== Half-Giant (52 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: ST +10 (SM +1, -10%) [90], IQ -2 [-40], HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers:
Advantages: Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]
Disadvantages: Chummy [-5].
Features: Size Modifier +1.

== Halfling (14 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: ST -2 [-20], DX +2 [40].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move -1 [-5], Per +2 [10].
Advantages: Magic Resistance 2 [4].
Disadvantages: Odious Racial Habit (eats other sapients) [-15]
Features: Size Modifier -1.

The Magic Resistance of halflings works explicitly against wizardly magic only (defiling or preserving). Alchemical potions/fruits work normally.
Halflings start with Cultural Familiarity (Halflings) instead of Cultural Familiarity (Tablelands).

== Mul (29 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: ST +2 [20], IQ -1 [-20], HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: FP +3 [6].
Advantages: Less Sleep 2 [4], Lifting ST 3 [9].

== Thri-kreen (jeral) (106 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: DX +2 [40], IQ -1 [-20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move +1 [5], Basic Speed +0.5 [10], Per +2 [10]
Advantages: Affliction 1 (Paralytic Venom: HT; Follow-Up, Teeth or Striker, +0%; Paralysis, +150%) [25], Damage Resistance 4 (can't wear armor, -40%) [12], Doesn't Sleep [20], Extra Arms 2 [10], Fangs [2], Sharp Claws [5], Super Jump 2 [20], Vibration Sense (air) [10]
Disadvantages: Odious Racial Habit (eats other sapients) [-15], Short Lifespan 1 [-10], Vow (only own what they can carry, no concept of money) [-15].
Quirks: Consider elves delicious, see everything in terms of "the Hunt", loyal to "pack".
Features: Cannot jump backwards

Notes: The Fangs represent mandibles.
After being bitten, the victim must make a HT roll. Failure means he’s paralyzed for one minute times his margin of failure.

Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 02-20-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Fwibos

Default Re: GURPS Dark Sun Conversion

Wow, thanks!

I shall be subscribing to your newslett-er, thread!
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
NineDaysDead
Banned

A thri kreen template (I favour higher point templates that tend to significantly differ from baseline humans):

Thri-kreen:
2nd Ed: +2 Dexterity; +2 Wisdom; -1 Charisma.
3rd Ed (dragon magazine): +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Intelligence, –4 Charisma.
4th Ed: +2 Constitution; +2 Wisdom;

EPH = Expanded Psionics Handbook
TkoA = Thri-Kreen of Athas
DSCS1 = Dark Sun Campaign setting 1st Ed

Thri-Kreen
Weight: 450+d20 lbs
Height: 84 +1d4 inches (48 inches longer than they are tall)
Lifespan: Base age 6, venerable 25*, max age 25 + 1d10 years
*-1 Str/Dex

Human (Male/female)
Weight: 140/100 + 6d10 inches
Height: 60/57 + 2d8 inches
Lifespan: Base age, 15 + 1d8, Middle age 40**, old age 53***, venerable 80****, max age 80 + 2d20 years

** -1 Str/Con; +1 Int/Wis
*** - 2 S t r / D e x , - 1 C o n ; + 1 W i s
**** -1 Str/Dex/Con; +1 Int/Wis

Athasian Thri-kreen [370]
ST +5 (NFM -40%, SM+2 -20%) [20]; DX +3 [60]; IQ -1 [-20].
Speed +2.25 [45], WILL +2 [10], Per +2 [10].

Advantages: Afflication: Paralyzing poison (Follow-up: Sharp teeth +0%, Melee attack, No parry -35%, Paralysis +150% [22]; Doesn’t Sleep [20]; DR 5 (can’t wear armour -40%) [15]; Extra Arms +2 [20]; Extra attacks 4 [100]; Racial Memory (Reliable +8, +40%) [21]; Reduced Consumption 3 (water only -50%) [3]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Super Jump 2 [20]; Super Jump 1 (Vertical only -25%) [8]; Temperature Tolerance 10 [10]; Thri-Kreen Hunting Talent 4 [20]; Very Fit [15]; Vibration Sense [10].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Hidebound [-5]; Racial Reputation: Hated by Elves -4 penalty, Large Class, Always recognised [10]; Sense of Duty: Clutch [-5]; Short lifespan [-10]; Stuttering (Not vs. own race) [-7].
Racial Learned Skills: Survival (Desert) [1], Tracking [1]
Taboo Traits: Cannot swim [0]

Thri-Kreen Hunting Talent: Camouflage, Naturalist, Navigation, Survival, and Tracking.
Reaction bonus: Hunters, and the like. 5 points/level

1. Strength
Thri-Kreen Weigh 450+d20 lbs, in GURPS that means they should have a ST/HP of 15. However, they didn’t receive a bonus to ST (though in 3.5 they get a +2, EPH p.15), and TkoA says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKoA page 42
Size also prevents thri-kreen from supporting their bodies using arms alone, unless a thri-kreens maximum press figure from the Strength table in the Player; Handbook exceeds the total body weight. The thri-kreen must otherwise support or brace his or her body if the arms are used to try to climb or even to maintain a hanging position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKoA page 52
Since most of the thri-kreens bulk is in its lower body and abdomen, a thri-kreen is considered man-sized when determining which weapons it can wield.
So I gave them ST +5 (No Fine Manipulators -40%, SM+2 -20%) [20], since a 460lbs leaping Thri-kreen should be able to make some nasty slam attacks.

2. Dexterity
Originally Thri-kreen had a minimum Dexterity of 17, in GURPS this should be greater than a mere +1. Kromm’s notes suggest 13.

3. Speed bonus.
Thri-kreen have a base movement of 18 compared to a humans 12. That’s 1.5 times as fast.
With the minimum dex of 17, they get an armour class bonus of -3. That’s 3 points of improvement over the average human.
Thri-kreen have the special ability to dodge missiles.

I folded all of this into a high speed score.

4. IQ, WILL and Per modifiers
Thri-kreen have a -1 to INT and a +1 to WILL, making them less intelligent and more wise than the average human.

5. DR 5 (can’t wear armour -40%) [15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCS1 page 16
A thri-kreens exoskeleton is extremely hard, and gives the creature a base armor class of 5.
TKoA has this as AC 8, but I believe that got errated in sage advice, and in 2nd ed reverts back to AC 5. DR 5 is giant tortoise level.

6. Extra attacks 4 [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCS1 page 17
They are able to make one bite and four claw attacks per round.
It might be worth putting a limitation on the last 3 levels, since if they’re using a weapon they can only make 2 attacks, 1 bite + 1 weapon attack.

7. Super Jump 2 [20]; Super Jump 1 (Vertical only -25%) [8]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCS1 page 17
The thri-kreen can leap 20 feet straight up or up to 50 feet straight forward.
With a speed of 8 this gives 52 feet horizontally and 25 feet 4 inches vertically.

8. Vibration Sense [10].
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKoA page 39
The thri-kreens sensitive antennae, which detect tiny changes in air pressure, reduce melee combat penalties due to darkness, blindness, or invisibility by 1 point (or 5%, as appropriate).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCS 1st Ed page 16
ranged activities (like missile combat) do not gain this benefit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS page 96
You can detect the location and size of objects by sensing vibrations with your skin, whiskers, or antennae.

Temperature Tolerance 10 [10]
Thri-kreen can keep hunting throughout the midday heat and cold desert nights.

EDIT: Revised version:
Athasian Thri-kreen [333]
ST +5 (NFM -40%, SM+2 -20%) [15]; DX +3 [60]; IQ -1 [-20].
Speed +2.25 [45], WILL +2 [10], Per +2 [10].

Advantages: Afflication: Paralyzing poison (Follow-up: Sharp teeth +0%, Melee attack, No parry -35%, Paralysis +150% [22]; Doesn’t Sleep [20]; DR 5 (can’t wear armour -40%) [15]; Extra Arms +2 [20]; Extra attack (Single Skill: Bite, -20%) 1 [20]; Extra attacks (Single Skill: Claws, -20%) 3 [60]; Racial Memory (Reliable +8, +40%) [21]; Reduced Consumption 3 (water only -50%) [3]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Sharp Claws [5]; Super Jump 2 [20]; Super Jump 1 (Vertical only -25%) [8]; Temperature Tolerance 10 [10]; Thri-Kreen Hunting Talent 4 [20]; Very Fit [15]; Vibration Sense [10].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Compulsive Hunting (15 or less) [2]; Hidebound [-5]; Odious Racial Habit (eats other sapients) [-15]; Racial Reputation: Hated by Elves -4 penalty, Large Class, Always recognised [10]; Sense of Duty: Clutch [-5]; Short lifespan [-10]; Stuttering (Not vs. own race -50%) [-7].
Racial Learned Skills: Survival (Desert) [1], Tracking [1]
Taboo Traits: Cannot swim [0]

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 02-14-2011 at 12:45 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Elf [105]
Attribute Modifiers: DX +3 [60];
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP -1 [-2]; WILL -2 [-10]; Basic Speed +0.25 [5]
Advantages: Acute Vision +2 [4]; Extended Lifespan 1 (Only X1.5 -50%)[1]; Infravision [10]; Intuition (Reflexive +40%; Reliable +8, +40%) [27]; Long Legs [10]; Magery 1 [15]; Temperature Tolerance 2 [2].
Disadvantages: Claustrophobia (15 or less) (Takes extra time 8 [x256], -80%) [-1]; Demophobia (15 or less) (Takes extra time 8 [x256], -80%) [-1]; Easy to Kill 2 [-4]; Impulsiveness (6 or less) [-20]; Racial Reputation (-2 with everyone outside tribe, always) [-10].
Perks: No Endurance rolls for Running [1].
Racial Skill Bonus: Running +3 [6]
Racial Learned Skills: Running 16 HT+6* [12]
*Includes Racial Skill Bonus.
Taboo Traits: Agoraphobia, Honesty, No Sense of Humor, Truthfulness and Workaholic.
Common Advantages: Intuition (Inspired +100%) [+15];

Notes: The intuition is instead of a bonus to IQ:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elves of Athas, page 21
Elves have an inherent tendency to be highly intelligent. This intelligence manifests itself not as introspection and complex planning but as intuitive leaps of genius in the now. They can determine the best course of action from moment to moment, thinking on their feet with nearly flawless mental agility.
Acute Vision +2 [4];

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elves of Athas, page 12
They can see farther and with more clarity than a human or half-elf.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 02-13-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I'd strongly recommend using the Clopterrans from DF as a thri-kreen base template to tweak slightly for dark sun. In particular, Jurgen, your thri-kreen probably need horrific appearance, disturbing voice, and extra attack 1. Low tech level is probably important as most thri-kreen seem to be TL 0 nomads.

Also, psionic powers.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 02-12-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
== Half-Giant (52 points) ==

Attribute Modifiers: ST +10 (SM +1, -10%) [90], IQ -2 [-40], HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers:
Advantages: Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]
Disadvantages: Chummy [-5].
Features: Size Modifier +1.
With an average height of 11 foot 9 inches that should be Size Modifier +2.

Also ST +10 seems too weak, based on the max lift of their minimum strength in AD&D their ST would be around 26, based on the GURPS' (Cube root of weight) X2 it should be ST 23. If you want them to act like fantasy giants who ignore the silly square cube law, I would give them a minimum of ST 23 + Lifting ST +10, making one half giant able to lift another half giant as well as one human can lift another human.

EDIT:
With a maximum lifes span of 220 years, some degree of longevity/extended lifespan might be in order.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 02-12-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
With an average height of 11 foot 9 inches that should be Size Modifier +2.

Also ST +10 seems too weak, based on the max lift of their minimum strength in AD&D their ST would be around 26, based on the GURPS' (Cube root of weight) X2 it should be ST 23. If you want them to act like fantasy giants who ignore the silly square cube law, I would give them a minimum of ST 23 + Lifting ST +10, making one half giant able to lift another half giant as well as one human can lift another human.
Alternatively, takes the stats for an Ogre from DF3, add Chummy, bump up SM to +2, and remove the hideous appearance and tone down the social stigma.

Way I figure is you can exactly copy everything D&D said all the species could do. That will likely put racial templates well beyond what is affordable for lower point games and require some pretty convoluted builds. Or you can use lower-point builds that capture the important stats and the "feel" and actually have a party with all the different races in it built on no more than 200 points, and mostly use stuff that's already been published. Personally I prefer the second approach.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 02-12-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Way I figure is you can exactly copy everything D&D said all the species could do. That will likely put racial templates well beyond what is affordable for lower point games and require some pretty convoluted builds. Or you can use lower-point builds that capture the important stats and the "feel" and actually have a party with all the different races in it built on no more than 200 points, and mostly use stuff that's already been published. Personally I prefer the second approach.
I don't see a need to keep the point totals low, Dark sun wasn't noted as a low powered setting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back of Dark sun boxed set
More Powerful PCs!
• All DARK SUN™ game characters begin at 3rd level!
• Ability scores that can go as high as 24!
• All PCs have one or more psionic powers!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I don't see a need to keep the point totals low, Dark sun wasn't noted as a low powered setting:
"Post-apocalypse fantasy."

Besides, 3rd level is about on par with GURPS' normal "heroic" starting point of 150 pts, IME. Also, if you start low, you can always go to higher point totals. It's harder to come the other way.

Finally, it lets you convert DF resources with only slight tweaking.

Semper Fi
Old 02-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
"Post-apocalypse fantasy."
I don't see your point, Exalted is also "Post-apocalypse fantasy." EDIT: "Post-apocalypse fantasy." doesn't mean low point totals any more than "gritty" does.

Quote:
Besides, 3rd level is about on par with GURPS' normal "heroic" starting point of 150 pts, IME.
3rd level is 3 times the normal starting level in AD&D.

Quote:
Finally, it lets you convert DF resources with only slight tweaking.
Much of DF doesn't seem appropriate for Dark Sun.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 02-12-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Tags
conversion, dark sun