Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #381
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In real life rifles with bayonets turn out to be much more effective at prisoner control than just rifles; there's something about stabbing that makes people want to avoid it more than being shot.
TV has given people a lot of weird ideas about the danger and survivability of gunshots. But almost everyone has cut themselves badly enough to make them careful about that.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #382
Snapshot

Mailanka,

I just wanted to applaud you for your Psi-Wars series on your blog. I think it should be required reading for anyone wanting a worked example of hammering the GURPS toolkit into a campaign.

Huzzah!
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #383
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
TV has given people a lot of weird ideas about the danger and survivability of gunshots. But almost everyone has cut themselves badly enough to make them careful about that.
It works on people who probably have seen more people get shot then they have TV, so I don't think that's it. I think there's an immediacy to the threat that blades have that barrels lack.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:14 AM   #384
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Out of curiosity (and I may have just missed it) have you looked at the simplified automatic weapons rules from AtE?
They're the same as the simplified automatic rules from Action 2, which is very much canon for Psi-Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It works on people who probably have seen more people get shot then they have TV, so I don't think that's it. I think there's an immediacy to the threat that blades have that barrels lack.
I think so too. People intuitively understand that "pointy things bad." It's a primal reaction. We logically know that guns are bad too, but I don't think it hits our lizard brains with as much impact.

Right! So, Happy GURPS day! Rounding out our armed martial arts, I have a discussion of Neurolash weaponry, including alternate items, their role in the setting, new techniques, and possible styles that might apply.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #385
Kalzazz

Man, if blades are what encourage offenders to be cooperative I wish I could have traded my baton for an arming sword

COs observing offender work squads outside the walls are one of the few places where the ancient equipment of a horse and a pistol are still a thing . . . I would be totally okay with issuing swords as well

Does PsiWars have like biometrics or something? I know a big concern with weapons is that criminals might take the weapon from the officer and use it on them

I have also wondered why you can only have crushing neurolash weapons

Is there any reason you can't have say a neuro sword?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #386
Mailanka

Quote:
I have also wondered why you can only have crushing neurolash weapons

Is there any reason you can't have say a neuro sword?
I see no reason why you couldn't have a neurolash sword, except that the purpose of a neurolash weapon is to be "non-lethal" and slicing someone with a sharp blade is, traditionally, not non-lethal. Thus, I've chosen for crushing weapons, as does Ultra-tech (neurolash gloves, neurolash batons, neurolash whips), but for $500 on top of your sword, sure, why not a neurolash blade?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #387
Kalzazz

Well, a sword that inflicts agony is surely much cooler for making people stop fighting than a sword which doesn't inflict agony, plus I'm sure all the blood boiling and steaming and flaring up as it is spilled on a neurolash field is very cool looking and cinematic
Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #388
Humabout

Quote:
why not a neurolash blade?
Tired of your victims not fearing your knives? Pointing a blaster at loved ones not doing the trick? Threatening entire worlds just can't crack that princess you captured? Try our new PainBlade!

Not only does is slice and dice with the cruel efficiency of our highest quality vibroblade, but the mere touch of its cold, black ceramic edge sends waves of agony shrieking through your victim's body. Our patented neurostimulation technology is the envy of villains and bane of heroes everywhere. Never be defied again. Because nothing says evil quite like a PainBlade. Get yours today!

Offer valid while supplies last. Some restrictions may apply. Not legal in any state. Not for use on turnips, wood fiber, plastics, or other inanimate objects. Make all payments in cash; no traceable payments accepted. Tweny-four monthly payments of $50. No grace period given. Failure to pay will result in a personal demonstration of the product. Shipping and handling not included. PainBlade is a registered trademark of EvilCorp, LLC. Danville, KY. 2012.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 09-22-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #389
Mailanka

Quote:
Well, a sword that inflicts agony is surely much cooler for making people stop fighting than a sword which doesn't inflict agony, plus I'm sure all the blood boiling and steaming and flaring up as it is spilled on a neurolash field is very cool looking and cinematic
Also, I've added the Neurolash Field Parry and the Neurolash Field Push, both of which are tricks that might be handy to have with a blade. If you really need to fight a guy with a force sword and you can't have a force sword yourself, a vibro-neuro-sword might not actually be that bad, all crackling with dangerous energy that can actually hold the destructive field of the force sword at bay.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #390
Kalzazz

Veuro-sword?

Of course this super awesome sword now probably retails for as much as a force sword!

If someone is really feeling the need for non lethal they can probably still smack someone with the flat of the sword with the neuro turned on

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack