Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #291
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

As Communion and Psionic Powers are essentially complete, I take a break this week to look at whether or not it actually works. We can't know for sure until we have a few playtests under our belt, but I wanted to stop and take a look at the system the same way I did with Starfighter Combat.

Today, I kick off the process of Evaluating the New Power Framework with a discussion of the theory behind what I'm doing.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #292
Mailanka

Alright, having discussed what I'm doing, I look at Psionic powers in the Psi-Wars Framework, including how they tend to break down into niches, the difference between an open and closed power, and whether or not psionics break down when players go absolutely nuts with them.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #293
Mailanka

Moving past psionics, I return to Communion, discuss its design goals and whether or not I think my rules met them in Meditations on Communion. Includes alternate petition rules!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 AM   #294
Mailanka

Happy GURPS day! I round off my evaluation of my power framework with a discussion of the paths in Walking the Paths of Communion.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #295
Mailanka

This week, I wind up my discussion of Psionic Powers and Communion, starting with Psionic Character Considerations
Old 08-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #296
Mailanka

At long last, the whole point of all this Psionic discussion: Psionic Power Sets.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #297
Mailanka

Putting the psionic character considerations together, we get the first of our psionic templates, the Mystic.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #298
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Putting the psionic character considerations together, we get the first of our psionic templates, the Mystic.
Just wanted to post that although I don't comment a lot, I do read these!

The stats are thorough and well-formatted, though if I may make one suggestion--add a little more story time. Personal experiences as players and game masters really helps the audience connect with the blog post and cement the concepts they've learned. Which also means repeat readers!

I hope my suggestions don't sound condescending. My writing is less energetic at 1 AM. =.=
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 AM   #299
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Just wanted to post that although I don't comment a lot, I do read these!

The stats are thorough and well-formatted, though if I may make one suggestion--add a little more story time. Personal experiences as players and game masters really helps the audience connect with the blog post and cement the concepts they've learned. Which also means repeat readers!

I hope my suggestions don't sound condescending. My writing is less energetic at 1 AM. =.=
To do that, I'd have to be running a game. Psi-Wars isn't up and running yet, I'm afraid. Also, as a general rule, I try not to tell you your story, but give you the tools to construct your own. That philosophy has its drawbacks, of course. As you rightly point out, some people like to read stories and they tend to come back to keep reading. But here, at least, that's not what I'm doing. I do understand that people need context, need to see how all of these things come together. I suspect that will become clearer as we get closer to the final setting.

That said, I'll keep my ears open. Comments like yours suggest that there might be readership for more story. I do notice that I get far more response from playtests and sample characters than I do from rules and templates (though rules and templates get quite some silent views, and the most popular by far seem to be general RPG theory)
Old 08-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #300
Mailanka

Alright, winding up Psi-Wars and Psionics, I introduce yet another new template, the dreaded Psi-Hunter.

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack