Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Hide

Default Full move when fatigued

Hey there, I am searching for an advantage to keep full move when in low on HP or fatigued, any ideas? Someone here posted something for this... seems I can't find it right now. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Full move when fatigued

Extra Move 5 (only when move is reduced by fp or hp loss -50%) [13]

I'm not married to that -50% number, but I think its in the right ballpark.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

I have a couple issues with this build. First, if your Move is lower than 10, this is actually increasing Move when you're lower than 1/3 FP/HP, since Move is halved at that point. Second, if your Move is higher than 10, it's not increasing your Move enough.

Instead, I'd recommend a build based on Enhanced Move - it has the advantage of applying no matter what your Move is, since it's multiplicative. I'd use your suggestion of -50% for "only while below 1/3rd HP or FP", and Cosmic, Second Nature (Power-Ups: Enhancements, p. 9), +150%, for a final value of [40].
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I have a couple issues with this build. First, if your Move is lower than 10, this is actually increasing Move when you're lower than 1/3 FP/HP, since Move is halved at that point. Second, if your Move is higher than 10, it's not increasing your Move enough.

Instead, I'd recommend a build based on Enhanced Move - it has the advantage of applying no matter what your Move is, since it's multiplicative. I'd use your suggestion of -50% for "only while below 1/3rd HP or FP", and Cosmic, Second Nature (Power-Ups: Enhancements, p. 9), +150%, for a final value of [40].
But for an average person, with Basic Move 5-ish, the Enhanced Move build is much more expensive. In fact, it's more expensive than buying Basic Move without the limitation, for anyone with BS less than 8. That suggests it's not the right build, to me.

Instead, I'd go for the original build - increased Basic Move, with the -50% (say) limitation - with the pre-requisite/taboo that you can't buy more levels than half your original Move.
pgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Yes, the limitation needs to be more precise: "Only to cancel reduced move from HP or FP loss -50%" could work.

I actually chose 5 based on the typical PC move, which is 6. If you only buy half of your move, then when you have both 1/3rd FP and 1/3rd HP you won't have enough move to cancel the second halving.

Now that I look at it more closely, you need to buy your entire move in order to not be effected by a single halving, because the newly purchased move will be halved as well.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I actually chose 5 based on the typical PC move, which is 6. If you only buy half of your move, then when you have both 1/3rd FP and 1/3rd HP you won't have enough move to cancel the second halving.
I had forgotten that the halvings stack - if there's one thing I like to avoid as a character, it's being below both 1/3rd HP and FP, so it probably didn't come up. :-)

Anyway, I still think Enhanced Move is the best way to do this, as it doesn't require changing the point cost if you have more or less Move. You'd just buy two levels of Enhanced Move, instead of one, and limit the second level with "only while below both 1/3rd HP and FP", which I'd rate at -75%.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Inversely anyone for buying something that stops the halving effects? Say Cosmic +100% to Move?

Then just buy up your base Move, so a Move of 6 would cost 30 points to be "unaffected by FP and HP halving".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Hide

I see, it looks interesting.
Isn't there something akin to high-paintreshold but with the scope of "ignoring move penalties"? What happens if this is a machine, and it requires full move when low on HP?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Celjabba

Supernatural Durability include the immunity to halving move from hp-loss but even at -80%, it would still cost [30].

At that price, I would throw in "full move when fatigued" for free. It is in the same cost ballpark than Evileyeore "Modifying Other Characteristics" approach.

Seem too expensive, compared to High pain threshold. If asked by a player, I would rule by fiat that it would cost [15], or perhaps better : [10] for hp and fatigue each, total [20], but I have nothing to anchor these values.

Last edited by Celjabba; 03-21-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:

For abilities that only work when a pool of points is at a low level, the only comparison I can think of is "Unkillable Only" for Regeneration, but I don't know how that would scale to FP loss.

I think that was only -40% and UK only takes effect when you would die due to a failed HT roll or reaching an absolute multiple of negative HP, so if we're talking about something which begins to benefit you while still in positive FP, thinking perhaps -30% at most.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote