Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2019, 12:36 AM   #11
Bengt

Default Re: Fates worse than death

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I'm not convinced. If stripped of technology, how many modern people would do well if abandoned in a TL2 environment? Even capable folk would quickly need things like food and water but would need to gain the trust of the natives in order to avoid confrontations about competition, but without a gun or friends... And without a language in common?

It would be real torture knowing that a better life exists while trying to figure out how to maybe make a bow and knowing that smelting iron is something you'll never figure out in your lifetime. Let alone building a spaceship.
Agreed, it feels pretty cinematic for someone to thrive in such an environment. Even if you are good at wilderness survival in general and the planet has at least some plants/wildlife that are nutritious, you'll have an awful period of trial and error eating ahead of you. And then there are long term deficiencies to deal with, e.g. scurvy.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 AM   #12
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Always a possibility, though stranding them on an uninhabited planet is even worse. I think that there would be plenty of people who would initially get a kick out of playing the sage to primitives, especially if the primitives are sexual compatible and attractive, so some may find being stranded among primitives a blessing rather than a curse. Of course, 'blessings' like Transcendent Appearance could be a curse in disguise, as the 'blessed' individual would become the target of rapists and serial killers.
I couldn't stomach setting myself up for a sage as a knowing deception and I am to fastidious to consider the conditions some natives live in to be sexually attractive, though by accounts Polynesians were quite the lookers.

In any case I don't think I would like to live without technology. It would mean being cut off from books, cut off from my friends and forced to live a life I really have not the skill for.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
edk926

Quadriplegia
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #14
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Being Norwegian.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #15
mr beer

The AD&D module, Temple of Elemental Evil (T1 to T4) says if you hand over the McGuffin to Iuz, your character becomes permanently evil and an NPC. So yeah I did that to someone - Iuz showed up, announced who he was, demanded the McGuffin or face death, the character complied. These days I wouldn't because it was a dick move but hey that's what the module said and I rolled with it.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
Being Norwegian.
You have a low tolerance of discomfort.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
Prince Charon

Brain and eyes taken out and kept alive in a jar, with a mirror in front of the eyes so the victim can see himself (or herself, or whatever).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #18
David Johnston2

I have a collection of "books from the restricted stacks" that I have yet to unleash on the unwary but possible consequences for the unwary reader include:

Having their eyes burned out of their head.

Nightmares every night.

A "spell book" that contains a resurrection spell that actually brings back something else in the dead character's body.

Contains a recipe for something that is extremely addictive and deleterious to the user's sanity.

Traps the reader in a pocket universe.

A listing of the True Names of some of the most intelligent and potentially useful demons.

Body transformation spells that if you fumble them have permanent effects.

Amnesia.

Possession by a ghost.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #19
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
You have a low tolerance of discomfort.
I don't get it.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #20
Extrarius

Affliction(
Disadvantages: Blindness, Deafness, Numb, No Sense of Smell/Taste, Low Pain Threshold;
Negated Advantages: Vibration Sense, Radar, Imaging Radar, Ladar, Para-Radar, Sonar, High Pain Threshold;
Incapacitation: Agony
)

I call it senseless agony (the person is trapped in agony without any senses).
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote