Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Operative Sin

Default [Question] Making Cordage/Rope

Low-Tech covers a multitude of differing types of fibers and ropes... but it doesn't seem to cover what skill is used to actually make them.

Is this covered by that rare creature known as 'Professional Skill ()'?

Can you use Survival for this when stranded on a deserted island or in the remote wilderness?

Maybe this is an attribute (DX/IQ) check?

Is this actually covered somewhere and I'm just blind?
Operative Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Question] Making Cordage/Rope

Looking at how rope is actually made, there are multiple skills that can be used. I'd say it's your highest skill among any relevant skill for the material and situation.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

As a general rule of thumb, if another skill doesn't clearly cover the production of an item, Professional Skill is probably appropriate for it. Though I wonder if Knot-Tying might include details of making rope as well? The skill's pretty niche, so expanding it would be nice, but I don't know if, historically, that's justified.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
As a general rule of thumb, if another skill doesn't clearly cover the production of an item, Professional Skill is probably appropriate for it. Though I wonder if Knot-Tying might include details of making rope as well? The skill's pretty niche, so expanding it would be nice, but I don't know if, historically, that's justified.
Making a simple rope is simple enough to be covered by Survival, if you're just using whatever plant fibers are available. Professional Skill is only needed for making industrial strength ropes.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Rope should probably be considered a textile. The steps to process the raw materials are very similar, and the final steps are a small fraction of the complete process. The final step for rope is fairly simple. There are many ways to do it, but none of them are particularly hard. Nothing that would require a skill.

So I'd let the existing Professional Skill (cloth-working) cover it.

Survival should cover the proper way to make rope from local plants by hand, yes. I wouldn't let you sell that rope or give it good stats, but it should let you use local materials to make simple necessities. And I wouldn't let someone with NO training make a rope.

Knot-tying should certainly include making a rope, at least the final stage after you have a bunch of weak twine.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
(E)

Pre TL 7 seamanship(?) Involved a lot of rope maintenance and personally I would say use that if it was present.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative Sin View Post
Low-Tech covers a multitude of differing types of fibers and ropes... but it doesn't seem to cover what skill is used to actually make them.
Making cordage, etc. from found natural materials is a good example of Survival skill. Probably most low-tech cordage and rope is made using that skill.

Making specialized cordage, like bowstrings, can use skills such as Armoury, Knot-Tying, or Mechanic.

If you're making rope on a commercial scale from prepared materials, it's Professional Skill/TL (Roper). Back in the day, this was a common trade, especially around ports and shipyards.

Splicing or maintaining ropes and similar uses Climbing, Crewman/TL0-8 (Airshipman, Seamanship, etc.), Knot-Tying, Housekeeping, Survival, or whatever other skill seems appropriate.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 06-15-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Survival should cover the proper way to make rope from local plants by hand, yes. I wouldn't let you sell that rope or give it good stats, but it should let you use local materials to make simple necessities. And I wouldn't let someone with NO training make a rope.
Actually, some low-tech rope and cordage made using Survival skill is very well made, to the point where it is just as good as commercial quality stuff. Select for good materials and high Survival skill.

For example, Inca rope bridges:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_rope_bridge

Alternately, it might be an application of Engineering/TL0 or 1 or Professional Skill (Rope Bridge Builder).
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative Sin View Post
[...]Can you use Survival for this when stranded on a deserted island or in the remote wilderness?[...]
If you're stranded, you might be able to use those instead of rope. (I couldn't stop myself.)
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
tanksoldier

Quote:
Alternately, it might be an application of Engineering/TL0 or 1 or Professional Skill (Rope Bridge Builder).
I think it's more likely that's Engineering (Civil)/TL0 for the bridge itself.

I think Rope-making itself would be a skill similar to Masonry, Carpentry, Leatherworking, etc. It would allow you to make all kinds of rope and cordage out of various materials and have a good idea of the strength and other properties of rope that you encounter. For example, many modern synthetic ropes are easily melted by friction. At higher TLs it would also cover the manufacture and properties of various kinds of cable.

I would allow rope making to default to Survival skill but unless there was some reason to believe the character had actually made rope before it wouldn't be full skill. I would also allow a default from Seamanship (which is probably what Tom Hanks used) and Climbing for ropes and cords used in those skills.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote