Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Multi function limbs

Not sure how to search for info on this - suggestions welcome.

Designing a horizontal hexapodal TL 11 species that live a highly machine like existence. As such I don't think they would have a problem with completely interchangeable capabilities with each limb. Walk on it, carry things with it, vivisect that hominid's brain with it. So a combination leg, arm, and bush robot manipulator times 6. How do I do it since extra arm and leg seem to be mutually exclusive choices or at least heavily implied with 'If this then it is not that' verbiage.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Multi function limbs

Extra Legs (6) and Extra Arms 4 (Foot Manipulators) as well as Foot Manipulators (both arms).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Bruno

This is a long standing problem, yes.

The Foot Manipulator limitation on Extra Arms is sort of meant to be "My only two feet are my extra arms" but I've handwaved that taking it in conjunction with Extra Legs is "good enough".

Basically, buy enough arms so that all your limbs that can be used as arms are included in the total. Buy enough legs so that all your limbs that can be used as legs are included in the total.

Species is not "horizontal" if they can walk around without using at least some of their arms - one of the big penalties is that particular problem. I think, for practical purposes, the only thing that's left is the kicking penalty. "Horizontal" is just an interesting description.

If they can walk around at full speed by using all their limbs as legs, and can walk around at reduced speed by using some as arms, look at Semi-Upright.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
clu2415

See the Foot Manipulatiors limitation on Extra Arms. The text for that implies that you can add an access limitation onto all your "bush robot" functions since you can't use them while walking on that limb.

The bush robot raises some questions along these lines. It has extra arms 4 (extra flexible), but the text claims 6 arms. So it has 4 extra flexible arms and 2 normal arms? For a hexapod with "universal limbs", you'd take extra arm 4, but how do you "delete" the default two legs you start with? I don't see much about how body plans work.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
The bush robot raises some questions along these lines. It has extra arms 4 (extra flexible), but the text claims 6 arms. So it has 4 extra flexible arms and 2 normal arms? For a hexapod with "universal limbs", you'd take extra arm 4, but how do you "delete" the default two legs you start with? I don't see much about how body plans work.
Extra Legs just specifies the number of legs, you don't "delete" any. If you have four you take Extra Legs (Four legs) if you have six, Extra Legs (Six legs) and so on.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Extra Legs just specifies the number of legs, you don't "delete" any. If you have four you take Extra Legs (Four legs) if you have six, Extra Legs (Six legs) and so on.
But the legs from Extra Legs can't be used for manipulating things. Are you saying to have to pay for the leg and arm functions separately?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
But the legs from Extra Legs can't be used for manipulating things. Are you saying to have to pay for the leg and arm functions separately?
You pay for "can lose legs and still walk" separately from "can manipulate more than two things". These are actually unrelated abilities.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
clu2415

So a six legged and six armed beastie would pay 40 points for extra legs and 40 points for extra arms.

A creature with six universal limbs would pay 14 points to add arm status to default legs, 40 points for extra legs, and 14 points for manipulator feet. And you get a six point refund for your 0 point default arms being Manipulator Feet. Right?

Last edited by clu2415; 07-06-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
whswhs

See p. B53, "Modifying beings with one or two arms." For the two arms that everyone has, you multiply the -30% Foot Manipulators limitation by 10 for each arm; so you have -6 for the two basic arms being Foot Manipulators. You buy the four added arms for 7 points each. That's a total of 22 points. Now, since you can have up to six legs, you pay 10 points for Extra Legs. That brings your total to 32 points.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So a six legged and six armed beastie would pay 40 points for extra legs and 40 points for extra arms.
No, Extra Legs (Six Legs) is only [10].
Quote:
A creature with six universal limbs would pay 14 points to add arm status to default legs, 40 points for extra legs, and 14 points for manipulator feet. Right?
Having your two arms be foot manipulators is a disadvantage worth [-6]. Each additional Foot Manipulator is [7], so six foot manipulators is [22]:
Extra Arms 4 (Foot Manipulators -30%) [28]
Foot Manipulators (Both Arms) [-6]

You also have six legs:
Extra Legs (Six Legs) [10]

For a total of [32]

Ninja'd by Bill.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-06-2017 at 10:15 PM.