Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #21
smurf
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#51): Extra Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Previous Thread: Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging
Next Thread: Pending

Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who want to participate in the discussion but need a little help. If you already know what you want to say, feel free to skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken this trait for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
  • Is there anything this trait does really well?
  • Is there anything you think this trait could or should do differently?
  • Any related traits you believe are necessary for full discussion? Go ahead and bring them up, but remember that this is a thread for Elastic Skin.
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e version of these traits compares to them in earlier editions?
Call it tropey but I originally started with a modified race with a +1SM Tail.

The main idea was they could hang from it. But it was one arm.

Arm ST +12 was needed for the max one armed lift allowance.

It was flexible, so I gave it constriction attack.

It's a tail so I decided to give it an inconvenience position. Chairs, cars, public transport, clothes etc etc had to cater for this rather long appendage.

Of course it has no fine manipulators or at least it is a 'thumb' it can push buttons and squeeze things so it isn't truly NFM. So I gave it no digits.

I suppose if the limb is +1SM would the Arm ST be entitled to a -10% discount?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Indeed, a large part of Long can be circumvented by taking Stretching . . . and just stretching your arms at the campaign start and keeping them that way. Sure, you don't get the damage bonus, but you do get reach. And at modest ST levels, you can get Striking ST for a decent damage bonus on all arms.

Though one thing to keep in mind about using the Extra Legs path: each Extra Arm allows using one Extra Attack without having to buy Multistrike, and unlike legs, arms can wield (force-multiplying) weapons.
Fair points, and another could be using Unbalanced type weapons.
However you do need Extra Attack to really utilize that potential.
I could see a comparable enhancement applied to Extra Arms that would be good for some of this. As for carrying extra weapons being tall and using a weapons harness with Fast Draw could achieve the same effect.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I suppose if the limb is +1SM would the Arm ST be entitled to a -10% discount?
Hm... I need to think about that myself. In part, because I was interrupted reading this thread, really want to respond to something posted earlier, but didn't want you to think I hadn't seen your post (since you quoted me... though that might be because it was the OP).

So, what I wished to address is the discussion about octopuses... it is something I thought had been suggested, but I can't find it now and I'm not sure if there was a RAW argument against it or not.

So, if a creature has X amount of arms but, mechanically, they function as or close to Y amount of arms, and X>Y, could that just be written off a Special Effect, or accounted for with a Limitation? I mean, if X<Y for the same scenario, so that a creature with fewer arms somehow managed to function as if it had Extra Arms, I'd expect to pay accordingly.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 02-06-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #24
Refplace

Quote:

So, if a creature has X amount of arms but, mechanically, they function as or close to Y amount of arms, and X<Y, could that just be written off a Special Effect, or accounted for with a Limitation? I mean, if X>Y for the same scenario, so that a creature with fewer arms somehow managed to function as if it had Extra Arms, I'd expect to pay accordingly.
Yes.
GURPS is a get what you pay for system and if your extra Arms dont do anything you should not need to pay for it. Odds are they do something so it might still be a small UB.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #25
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yes.
GURPS is a get what you pay for system and if your extra Arms dont do anything you should not need to pay for it. Odds are they do something so it might still be a small UB.
I think I worded it backward, and have corrected my previous post. Yet it sounds like you answered what I meant to ask.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 PM   #26
Refplace

Quote:
I think I worded it backward, and have corrected my previous post. Yet it sounds like you answered what I meant to ask.
Your welcome then :)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #27
Bruno

It might be worth a perk if they're considered "decoy" hit locations where there are "excess" arms that can be crippled without significantly modifying your effective number of arms.

On the other claw you still loose HP for having them attacked.

On the gripping hand, having more arms (or legs) doesn't make you easier to hit. It might justify buying a higher SM, but that's a separate issue from the arms themselves.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #28
whswhs

Note that GURPS Powers: The Weird has rules for critters with an arbitrarily large number of arms.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Note that GURPS Powers: The Weird has rules for critters with an arbitrarily large number of arms.
Are you talking about the Polypoids?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Your welcome then :)
Yes, thanks! I was trying to correct my error before bed; please pardon my lack of manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
...and another book to add to my wishlist. XD

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, extra arms, week, [basic]