Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #121
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Why no Heavy Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Challenge accepted ;)

Cheers

HANS
Oorah!

I can easily imagine that this would fill enough space to be an e23 product rather than a Pyramid article, though I will of course gratefully take whatever is being offered. With the scope for both generalised advice about the rules effects of various small concerns and for tiny nit-picking notes about each individual weapon brand, it could go on almost forever. ;)

I'd like to see suggestions for modifying encumbrance levels or penalties for various sub-par ways to carry weapons and gear. Well, frankly, an overview about Smuggling, Holdout, Fast-Draw and the distribution of gear would be nice, complete with lots of skill modifiers for minor issues. Some common load-outs and the effects on FP use and various tasks for carrying weapons in some positions, i.e. stuff such as 'a cavary saber or broadsword hanging by the side can occasionally cause -x to Running, Jumping and Acrobatics' or more generally 'if longer than x, a gun or other item worn [somewhere] can cause -y to skills z'.

Since Bulk is a bit coarse-grained and reflects two seperate things (ergonomics/pointability as well as size and shape for concealment), I'd like to see some guns receiving Holdout modifiers that distinguish tiny and flat weapons with Bulk -1 from more-or-less full-sized ones that are merely handy to point and shoot, also for a Bulk -1.

Examples, complete with specific gun stats, of what esoteric demands and skilled gunsmithing can accomplished in the real world. Notes for all the cases where the generic gunsmithing rules say that something is possible and gives stats X, but the specific model of gun actually doesn't work that way.

An examination of the various bonuses to Acc or skill possible through various means, such as accessories, Aiming, stabilising and more, and how they can be combined and how they do not. In particular, I'd love to see inherent accuracy seperated somehow from the ergonomic factors that also go into the Acc stat. Match-qualility ammunition would then no longer have any effects on Acc at typical RPG hero knife-fight ranges, but would have a greater impact on the MOA rules about maximum effective skill. I'd also want adjustable micrometer sights, all optics, range-finders, ballistic tables or programs, etc. lumped together in a category called something like 'Targeting Devices', and the limiting factor for Precision Shooting would be the lower of inherent Acc and the bonus from targeting devices.

Eh... well, let's just say that I'd love to see a follow-up to Tactical Shooting with even more nitpicky focus on equipment and guns. And, it goes without saying, I'd love to playtest it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #122
HANS

Default Re: [MH] Why no Heavy Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Excellent! The Pyramid #3/00: Guns! volume on the wish list looks promising.
Yeah. Steven already told me he didn't want me to write the whole damn issue though, so I have to watch my wordcount if I want to get several articles in there -- and I do, since I have several submitted or in writing for that issue.

I can easily fill an article with traits that provide minor bonuses or penalties due to ergonomics etc. What's unfeasible (and would read rather boring) is simply a long list of all guns written up so far and list their problems or advantages, but I can certainly mention many of them in above-said generic article. Actually, I can even see new techniques and stuff. Oh my. Great idea. Thanks for the challenge ;)

Cheers

HANS

Tags
guns, monster hunters