Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #101
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [MH] Why no Heavy Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
The BAR is an awesome weapon at TL6. At TL7 or TL8, it's just stupid. It has serious length, weight, and ergonomic issues compared to any of the various 7.62x51mm NATO automatic rifles (FAL, G3, Galil, etc), especially the layout of the stock and the lack of a pistol grip. Most of these are too small to matter in GURPS, but as a GM I'd certainly enforce them.

Cheers

HANS
How would your enforcement have any impact if the issues don't matter in GURPS? "Your gun works better, but I keep telling you how uncomfortable it is to handle" is really not going to make an impression.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #102
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post

How would your enforcement have any impact if the issues don't matter in GURPS? "Your gun works better, but I keep telling you how uncomfortable it is to handle" is really not going to make an impression.
Docking the user a couple of extra FP for the heavy, uncomfortable weapon would be a way of doing that. I suppose that players of the "If it ain't written, it ain't so!" mindset would object, but I invited those guys out of my social circle back in my teen years, sometime in the 1980s.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #103
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Indeed.

Speaking for myself, I'd really like HANS to publish something containing a long list of minor features, bugs and other issues of specific weapons, along with optional rules on how to reflect them in game play. Not everyone has the required knowledge about guns to know what issues he should be considering and even those who do often lack an elegant way to present it in mechanical terms.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #104
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Docking the user a couple of extra FP for the heavy, uncomfortable weapon would be a way of doing that. I suppose that players of the "If it ain't written, it ain't so!" mindset would object, but I invited those guys out of my social circle back in my teen years, sometime in the 1980s.
Granted, but a treatise on when to charge extra FP, when to apply a minor penalty to certain tasks and, most importantly, which real world weapons ought to receive such special consideration, is something that would allow GMs who are not both extremely knowledgable about guns and extremely proficient at off-the-cuff rules-making, to overcome these flaws and present all the minor differences between gun models in a true technothriller fashion.

Not something that would see use in play for those who really only want a short list of guns (small pistols, big pistol, smg, rifle, automatic rifle, etc.), but the success of HANS' catalogue books of guns seems to indicate that a significant sub-group of gun-nut roleplayers exist out there.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #105
Sam Cade

Quote:
The BAR is an awesome weapon at TL6. At TL7 or TL8, it's just stupid. It has serious length, weight, and ergonomic issues compared to any of the various 7.62x51mm NATO automatic rifles (FAL, G3, Galil, etc), especially the layout of the stock and the lack of a pistol grip.
Latter production BARs had a pistol grip.

Belgian Type D:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...owning-792.jpg

and the manual to same

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-c...D%20manual.pdf

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #106
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
You can't add a folding stock to most AR-15 systems, including this one, because the stock contains the buffer tube. Recently a design has become available that works on the AR-15, but means that you can't fire AT ALL with the stock folded, which is a less than perfect solution.
I know that. Some AR systems use pistons and have folding stocks; in that case, re-caliber t0 50 Beowulf. But the Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter works fine for shoving a 50 Beowulf assault rifle in your trenchcoat. It takes a ready maneuver or FD to get it flicked open, but it works fine for concealment. I understand you can fire one shot with it open and then it ruins the gun until you replace the buffer tube, etc.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #107
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Yes. In fact, the best configuration of this gun for play is the R80 Monitor (High-Tech: Pulp Guns 2, p. 11), which has a shortened barrel, pistol grip, and compensator. It's still very heavy, and very rare, to boot.

You should ALWAYS make the most of the Bulk penalty. The rifle is huge. As to the more subtle ergonomic issues, there are rules that can be applied -- for example, you can DISALLOW the Weapon Bond perk, mimicking the fact that most people just can't get comfortable with the thing. You can assign a Fast-Draw penalty, since the BAR has an awkward magazine release (inside the trigger guard).

Cheers

HANS
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #108
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Apparently, one of the differences between the TL6 weapon and the TL8 weapons is that TL8 weapons can be designed to be far more modular, thus easy to gunsmith into exotic varieties, and to take accessories more easily. Which is a real advantage for heroic monster hunters.
I don't have any real gun knowledge (I'd love to learn about). And I'm used with fantasy games, so I'm not good at gurpsmithing guns (although I have the right books and I'm reading then). At a first glance, dmg 7d, Rof 9 and Rcl 2 seemed the perfect combination for a rifle. I'm totally limited to rely on these rules, looking for what is allowed or forbidden.

My only goal is to build the most powerful rifle with Rcl 2 at TL 8. I'd appreciate the help of my forum's fellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post

Belgian Type D:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...owning-792.jpg

and the manual to same

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-c...D%20manual.pdf
But damage and recoil would be the same of Browning M1918 BAR, 30-06 (HT 120)?

Quote:
You should ALWAYS make the most of the Bulk penalty. The rifle is huge. As to the more subtle ergonomic issues, there are rules that can be applied -- for example, you can DISALLOW the Weapon Bond perk, mimicking the fact that most people just can't get comfortable with the thing. You can assign a Fast-Draw penalty, since the BAR has an awkward magazine release (inside the trigger guard).
In a cinematic game like Monster Hunter, the Commando's Gunslinger advantage would help with those limitations?

Last edited by Carlos; 09-27-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #109
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I would welcome a list of optional, non-weapon-table traits such as "Adds +1 to FP costs for combat," "Off-limits for Weapon Bond," "Extra -1 to Bulk in close combat only/for Holdout only/for Move and Attack only," or even "Gives -5 to unfamiliar shooters, and is always at -1 without an Exotic Weapon Training perk." We could also have beneficial ones like "Bulk is -1 less severe in close combat only/for Holdout only/for Move and Attack only" or "Configurability gives +2 for Weapon Bond." We already have footnotes on reliability in High-Tech, which are a very similar idea. Then these traits could then be assigned to particular models of guns. That would make a great Pyramid article (and illustrate how "gadget bugs" exist even in the real world).
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #110
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I would welcome a list of optional, non-weapon-table traits . . . That would make a great Pyramid article (and illustrate how "gadget bugs" exist even in the real world).
Challenge accepted ;)

Cheers

HANS

Tags
guns, monster hunters