Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Body Horror and High Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
  1. [* putting it on a track towards quick radical change somewhere in the 90s, giving it even more time to achieve the ideals of morphological freedom (as evidenced by the examples of stuff found in the books, such as transparent braincases).
On the other hand, "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" is legal now and shows no sign of going away. Adding "No Skull" to that list would probably hold up too. Since so much activity takes place on line not many people might end up caring.

It's discrimination on the basis of things beyond a person's control that has the imperative for prevention. Compulsory acceptance of voluntary changes is a much weaker idea.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:25 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Body Horror and High Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's discrimination on the basis of things beyond a person's control that has the imperative for prevention. Compulsory acceptance of voluntary changes is a much weaker idea.
Religion is firmly within a person's control (otherwise nobody would be able to convert!), and so is sexual behaviour (as distinct from the internal orientation), but those are considered protected.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Body Horror and High Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Religion is firmly within a person's control (otherwise nobody would be able to convert!), and so is sexual behaviour (as distinct from the internal orientation), but those are considered protected.
Sexual behavior is usually limited to consenting adults behind closed doors (at best). "Orientation" is more strongly protected but behavior is frequently limited.

Religious "behavior" is more strongly protected but even in the US it doesn't get a blank check. Noise and traffic complaints get litigated frequently.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Body Horror and High Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Sexual behavior is usually limited to consenting adults behind closed doors (at best). "Orientation" is more strongly protected but behavior is frequently limited.
Sexual behaviour is not limited to the explicit stuff going on in the bedroom. And both the hidden and open behaviour usually falls under the same protections as internal orientation itself in jurisdictions which protect the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Religious "behavior" is more strongly protected but even in the US it doesn't get a blank check. Noise and traffic complaints get litigated frequently.
Not a blank cheque, but still the world has many examples of behaviours that are protected when conducted for a religious reason but not when for other reasons. Examples include carrying weapons on domestic flights, making statements that would be illegal in a secular context, or performing non-medically-necessary surgery despite the subjects not being deemed able to consent to it.

But I think we're both risking to spiral off on a tangent at this point. The big thing about THS is that in 2100, what we see as transgressive is taken for granted, and what's unthinkable today is eccentric in 2100, as seen in the collection of memeplexes of THS in the appropriate book.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Body Horror and High Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
S

But I think we're both risking to spiral off on a tangent at this pointk.
We shoukd probably agree to disagree but disgree we do.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.