Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #371
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Olive sets into her drills with dedication. Her life could very well depend on this. After each drill, she resets the chip, which takes more time than doing the drill, but its almost as useful as doing the drill herself.

Again and Again she performs the drills. She doesn't actually practice lighting things on fire, but she feels confident that she can.

When its time to eat, she orders more food than she needs, including items she can burn.

As she's eating, she gets another ship-wide message:

"Restrictions are being relaxed. You may go about the ship now. The conspiracy has been stopped, and is being investigated. Continue to proceed with caution, and report suspicious behavior"

She also gets a personal message from Dr. Kuse (the oldest of the doctors she helped).

Olive,

The Crisis seems to have abated. I believe you have several medical conditions that you could use assistance with. I would be happy to help. Set up an appointment and come down to the east medical bay please.

Dr. Kuse.

She also has a message from Yuria:

Olive! I've got my permissions back. Mr. Welker was part of the plot, so all the things he did to my account were reversed. I know you don't know the news system that well, so I thought I'd tell you the plot. A bunch of people on the ship conspired to send a sample pod down to the planet off-schedule. Its crazy how many people participated, and the timing on how they pulled it off! I'm not sure if its related to your attacks or the headaches, but I sure bet it is! And I bet Mr. Welker was feeding us crap about the whole thing!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #372
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
When its time to eat, she orders more food than she needs, including items she can burn.
I never even thought of this, like making a candle out of saturated fat?

Quote:
She also gets a personal message from Dr. Kuse (the oldest of the doctors she helped).

Olive,

The Crisis seems to have abated. I believe you have several medical conditions that you could use assistance with. I would be happy to help. Set up an appointment and come down to the east medical bay please.

Dr. Kuse.
"Heera could you tell me what appointment slots are available over the next couple days?"

Quote:
She also has a message from Yuria:

Olive! I've got my permissions back. Mr. Welker was part of the plot, so all the things he did to my account were reversed. I know you don't know the news system that well, so I thought I'd tell you the plot. A bunch of people on the ship conspired to send a sample pod down to the planet off-schedule. Its crazy how many people participated, and the timing on how they pulled it off! I'm not sure if its related to your attacks or the headaches, but I sure bet it is! And I bet Mr. Welker was feeding us crap about the whole thing!
*types reply to Yuria*
"Why do you think they'd want to send a pod down early? What's the rush? So where's Welker now?"

while awaiting Yuria's reply...
"Heera cuold you tell me the coordinates of Kuse, Yuria and Welker? Are they all on-ship?"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #373
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I never even thought of this, like making a candle out of saturated fat?
yes. An awful lot of food burns if you know how to prepare it right. I've seen people make flour explode. The trick is low water content and lots of oxygen.

Quote:
"Heera could you tell me what appointment slots are available over the next couple days?"
There are a number of appointments, starting in the next "morning", and scattered over the next few days.

Quote:
"Heera cuold you tell me the coordinates of Kuse, Yuria and Welker? Are they all on-ship?"
The exact room and pod they're in appears to be confidential information, as is their literal location, though that Kuse is currently at work in the East Medical Station is public knowledge.

Welker's location isn't public, but his status is. He's on lockdown in his pod, and he's in an isolated virtual room, The exact virtual room is listed, as is the "warden" for it.

Yuria's specific location isn't public, but she's certainly has a clear and active digital signature. She's talking to people and sending messages on a minute to minute basis.

Quote:
*types reply to Yuria*
"Why do you think they'd want to send a pod down early? What's the rush? So where's Welker now?"
Welker is under arrest with the rest of the conspiracy. They've got him on lockdown in his pod. They're all claiming that they don't know why they did it. Every single one. Can you believe it? The theory is that specific pod has some equipment smuggled on it, and we were going to find it early. Or maybe it has some earth-germs on it. Its probably an action by corporates who want the world contaminated early or a head start on the research.

Another theory is that they want to claim the honor of being the first on the planet. I don't know if that's a good theory.

Or you can believe the people who think this is a cyber-terrorism attack.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #374
Plane

Quote:
There are a number of appointments, starting in the next "morning", and scattered over the next few days.
Will take the morning one.

Quote:
The exact room and pod they're in appears to be confidential information, as is their literal location, though that Kuse is currently at work in the East Medical Station is public knowledge.
Making a mental note to go down there next.

Quote:
Welker's location isn't public, but his status is. He's on lockdown in his pod, and he's in an isolated virtual room, The exact virtual room is listed, as is the "warden" for it.
Is it possible to contact the warden? I assume that would be necessary to discuss the possibility of entering the virt-room.

Quote:
Yuria's specific location isn't public, but she's certainly has a clear and active digital signature. She's talking to people and sending messages on a minute to minute basis.
So it's possible to send a message?

Quote:
Welker is under arrest with the rest of the conspiracy. They've got him on lockdown in his pod. They're all claiming that they don't know why they did it. Every single one. Can you believe it? The theory is that specific pod has some equipment smuggled on it, and we were going to find it early. Or maybe it has some earth-germs on it. Its probably an action by corporates who want the world contaminated early or a head start on the research.

Another theory is that they want to claim the honor of being the first on the planet. I don't know if that's a good theory.

Or you can believe the people who think this is a cyber-terrorism attack.
Jane is entertaining the idea it might be linked to the weird impulses people were having, except this seems to be even more complex than previously observed. Maybe affecting different parts of the brain/psyche and altering things in a way less perceivable as random?

If it's possible to message Yuria will ask "do you think this rebellion could be linked to the weird impulses some people have been having, like wanting to swing chairs or tackle me in my room?"

If it's possible to message warden "is it possible to talk to Welker?"

While awaiting replies for these (I assume they could be conveyed anywhere) will walk down to East Med if possible. Can she apply for some kind of job/duty there?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #375
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Is it possible to contact the warden? I assume that would be necessary to discuss the possibility of entering the virt-room.

Yes, you can reach out to Cesar Rubio, who is the warden for Mr. Welker. Looking him up, The man still has most of the color in his hair, a rarity aboard this ship. He was trained in logistics, not traditional security.

Quote:
If it's possible to message warden "is it possible to talk to Welker?"
Mr. Rubio: "I'd have to be there if you want to talk. You can send mail through. On the other hand, who are you? why aren't you listed as a crew member? is this a real account?"

Quote:
So it's possible to send a message?

Jane is entertaining the idea it might be linked to the weird impulses people were having, except this seems to be even more complex than previously observed. Maybe affecting different parts of the brain/psyche and altering things in a way less perceivable as random?

If it's possible to message Yuria will ask "do you think this rebellion could be linked to the weird impulses some people have been having, like wanting to swing chairs or tackle me in my room?"
From Yuria:
I think its very likely to be related. I think the conspiracy did something to trigger those weird impulses. I don't think the weird impulses would be that coordinated. The impulses were spastic and looked like medical disorders. You're suggesting mind control, and that shouldn't be possible without major brain surgery.

Quote:
While awaiting replies for these (I assume they could be conveyed anywhere) will walk down to East Med if possible. Can she apply for some kind of job/duty there?

She pokes her head in, and sees Dr. Kuse running a test on someone.

Dr. Kuse "Do you mind? Patient privacy and all that?"

Once the test is over, Dr. Kuse will speak with Olive:
"The emergency is over. Though... we're missing people all over the ship. I'll bring up your availability when we talk about filling in the missing spots at noon. I'll let you know at your appointment tomorrow."

OCC: You won't be able to see it, but I'm getting a chuckle out of the reactions of the remaining ship leadership about the suggestion of putting you to work. Especially once they notice your real skill set.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #376
Plane

Quote:
Mr. Rubio: "I'd have to be there if you want to talk. You can send mail through. On the other hand, who are you? why aren't you listed as a crew member? is this a real account?"
*replies*
"I don't think I would be officially listed as a crewmember. I think they might classify me as a stowaway although I don't remember the stowing. Welker was one of the crew I was introduced to prior to this."

Quote:
From Yuria:
I think its very likely to be related. I think the conspiracy did something to trigger those weird impulses. I don't think the weird impulses would be that coordinated. The impulses were spastic and looked like medical disorders. You're suggesting mind control, and that shouldn't be possible without major brain surgery.
*replies*

"What I mean is that maybe there were more than overt spastic impulses, but also impulses in other parts of the brain, causing changes in behavior or thinking? I don't know if that's CONTROL per se, or just a personality shift. Like if you hit your head and began to get angry or suspicious more easily, except something other than hitting your head."

Quote:
She pokes her head in, and sees Dr. Kuse running a test on someone.

Dr. Kuse "Do you mind? Patient privacy and all that?"

Once the test is over, Dr. Kuse will speak with Olive:
"The emergency is over. Though... we're missing people all over the ship. I'll bring up your availability when we talk about filling in the missing spots at noon. I'll let you know at your appointment tomorrow."
"Is the noon meeting private or open to observation?"

(after meeting with Kuse, will ask computer to remind her what time appointment is tomorrow, and set a reminder if forgotten/overslept)

The above replies to Rubio/Yuria would be sent after finishing discussing with Kuse.

Quote:
OCC: You won't be able to see it, but I'm getting a chuckle out of the reactions of the remaining ship leadership about the suggestion of putting you to work. Especially once they notice your real skill set.
That could take some time though, I assume.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #377
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Is the noon meeting private or open to observation?"
Kuse:Its a meeting of managers, its private. I'll let you know what they say about you though, and I can try to get them to talk to you during part of the meeting.

Quote:
*replies*
"I don't think I would be officially listed as a crewmember. I think they might classify me as a stowaway although I don't remember the stowing. Welker was one of the crew I was introduced to prior to this."
Rubio:You'll forgive me for not trusting what one of the conspirators says about your Status. Do you have any proof that you are a stow-away? Other than not having records at all?

OCC: if you want to talk about general direction of your response rather than playing this out again, that's fine.

Quote:
*replies*

"What I mean is that maybe there were more than overt spastic impulses, but also impulses in other parts of the brain, causing changes in behavior or thinking? I don't know if that's CONTROL per se, or just a personality shift. Like if you hit your head and began to get angry or suspicious more easily, except something other than hitting your head."
Yuria: "Why would a personality shift make them all conspire to launch a probe ahead of schedule? Though I suppose if brain surgery was involved and then triggered, we may have seen the side effects... but the docs should have caught surgery that common. They inspected everyone"

Quote:
That could take some time though, I assume.
That test you took is pretty much attached to your files at this point.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #378
Plane

Quote:
Kuse:Its a meeting of managers, its private. I'll let you know what they say about you though, and I can try to get them to talk to you during part of the meeting.
>K: "Okay, if there is some adequate warning to prepare I guess, I'm not entirely sure what to say so I hope they would lead the conversation."

Quote:
Rubio:You'll forgive me for not trusting what one of the conspirators says about your Status. Do you have any proof that you are a stow-away? Other than not having records at all?
>R: "What's the alternative? Do you mean like if I was an authorized member of the crew who was scrubbed from the records? I thought you would assume everyone is a stowaway until they're proven not to be...

That's not to say I'm confident that I chose to stow away... I mean I guess it's possibly someone else stowed me, or I somehow got here by accident by falling asleep in a shipping crate?" *seems puzzled*

Quote:
Yuria: "Why would a personality shift make them all conspire to launch a probe ahead of schedule? Though I suppose if brain surgery was involved and then triggered, we may have seen the side effects... but the docs should have caught surgery that common. They inspected everyone"
>Y: "All I can figure is people might have already had ideas or inclinations, but a shift might make the more likely to act upon them where they otherwise wouldn't."
Old 06-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #379
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
>K: "Okay, if there is some adequate warning to prepare I guess, I'm not entirely sure what to say so I hope they would lead the conversation."
Kuse: You'll just need to be assertive about wanting a job and the ways in which you can be useful.

Quote:
>R: "What's the alternative? Do you mean like if I was an authorized member of the crew who was scrubbed from the records? I thought you would assume everyone is a stowaway until they're proven not to be...

That's not to say I'm confident that I chose to stow away... I mean I guess it's possibly someone else stowed me, or I somehow got here by accident by falling asleep in a shipping crate?" *seems puzzled*
Rubio: Normally, I'd agree with you, but we're not in a normal situation. You could be part of the conspiracy, or you could have been someone they had to eliminate in order to conceal their plan. I'd have to think about if that's consistent with their seeming motives... or lack thereof.

I suppose I should just come down and talk to you myself. And have someone medically inspect you while I'm there.

Quote:
>Y: "All I can figure is people might have already had ideas or inclinations, but a shift might make the more likely to act upon them where they otherwise wouldn't."
Yuria: "What, like they already had a plan and the weirdness made them all paranoid or confused and they acted on it? that's... not the craziest idea I've heard. It means the mental weirdness and the conspiracy are separate, but the mental weirdness made the conspiracy much less functional... I'll have to think about it more. Its a little complex, but it at least explains some things."

Old 07-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #380
Plane

Quote:
Kuse: You'll just need to be assertive about wanting a job and the ways in which you can be useful.
She mulls this over and tries to think of more ways to be useful before asserting where.

Quote:
Rubio: Normally, I'd agree with you, but we're not in a normal situation. You could be part of the conspiracy, or you could have been someone they had to eliminate in order to conceal their plan. I'd have to think about if that's consistent with their seeming motives... or lack thereof.

I suppose I should just come down and talk to you myself. And have someone medically inspect you while I'm there.
"Sure, just please give me some advance notice of who you are approving to perform the examination."

Quote:
Yuria: "What, like they already had a plan and the weirdness made them all paranoid or confused and they acted on it? that's... not the craziest idea I've heard. It means the mental weirdness and the conspiracy are separate, but the mental weirdness made the conspiracy much less functional... I'll have to think about it more. Its a little complex, but it at least explains some things."
"I think a lot of people might have slight paranoias and plans on how to react to extreme situations which they usually file away and never use because those extreme situations never come, but if you are led to believe a situation is more extreme than it is, then those plans could manifest"