Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #1
Doppio

Default Create a magical item

Hi everybody.
I need help please, is it possible to create a Shortsword (or in general an item) that increases one attribute, like DX? (and so affecting all the DX-based skills when assigned).

Thanks and regards

Last edited by Doppio; 01-21-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Doppio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:47 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Create a magical item

Yes, and no, and kind of so. First the question has to be asked how you want Magical Items to be represented? Are you talking about using the standard Enchantment system found in GURPS Magic? Or something else?

In the standard Enchantment system there are several ways to boost a weapon's damage. Flaming Weapon (Magic, p. 75), Icy Weapon (p. 185), Puissance (p. 65), and probably a few others enchantments can be added to a weapon to increase their damage. For the classic "this weapon is better at hitting" you can add the Accuracy Enchantment (p. 65). For any of these, if the bonus only apply to a limited class of creature (e.g. Dragons) you can add the Bane Enchantment (p. 62) which make the other Enchantments easier to cast and reduces their cost.

For attributes, the magic system tries not to allow Enchanted items which give permanent advantages or attribute boosts. These are best represented as Gatgets (p. B117-118). Despite the name, a Gadget is any piece of kit which grants an advantage. Take Extra DX (20/level) with some form of Gadget and Mana Sensitive (p. B34).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Doppio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Yes, and no, and kind of so. First the question has to be asked how you want Magical Items to be represented? Are you talking about using the standard Enchantment system found in GURPS Magic? Or something else?
My question is related to the Character Assistant software, not to the GURPS system itself.
I've tried several ways with no luck :(
Old 01-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppio View Post
My question is related to the Character Assistant software, not to the GURPS system itself.
I've tried several ways with no luck :(
In that case you asked in the wrong forum (there's a forum dedicated to GCA), but the right person answered.

To add an Enchantement to a weapon you do so by adding them as a Modifier. Simply add a weapon to the character, then click the Modifiers button for it. In the Modifiers window all of the Enchantments are listed at the end of the list, using a ~ tilde prepended to their name to move them to the end alphabetically (so Pusissance will be listed a ~Puissance). Simply add the appropriate Modifers and GCA calculates the cost based on the default Enchantment costs.

For the DX boost you still did not answer my question about WHICH rules system you want to use to build it. The default Magic system doesn't allow magic items to give attribute boosts. To build it like a gadget simply take the Extra DX advantage and add Modifers to it as appropriate, specifically the Gadget and Mana Sensitive ones I mentioned previously. Or, simply, give it the "Free" modifier to make the cost 0.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #5
ravenfish

Quote:
For the DX boost you still did not answer my question about WHICH rules system you want to use to build it. The default Magic system doesn't allow magic items to give attribute boosts. .
My copy of GURPS Magic has listings for "always on" items for Might, Grace, etc. that provide a boost to the relevant stat for as long as the item is worn. Indeed, my copy of GCA includes these in the list of enchantments that can be added to items, and they are set up so that they add the relevant bonus to the owner's stats. ("Grace, always on", "Might, always on", and "Vigor, always on" boost DX, ST, and HT, respectively. Wisdom seems to be absent, for some reason, but should be easy enough to create using the others as a template.)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
Doppio

Quote:
In that case you asked in the wrong forum (there's a forum dedicated to GCA), but the right person answered.
I thought I was, aren't we under the "Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant" forum?

Is there another forum for GCA?

Anyway, thanks for your answers ;)
Old 01-22-2023, 04:19 AM   #7
Doppio

Quote:
For the DX boost you still did not answer my question about WHICH rules system you want to use to build it. The default Magic system doesn't allow magic items to give attribute boosts.
Hi Eric, sorry for the delay, I had to check it to be precise (quite often the GM is more flexible than the rules).
The GURPS Magic 4th Edition has the following spell (thanks Ravenfish!):

Grace
Regular
Raises the subject’s DX temporarily. His Basic Speed and ability with all DX-based skills are also raised. A caster can raise his own DX to increase his chances of hitting with missile spells, etc.
Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 4 for every point of DX increase (maximum of 5). Same cost to maintain.
Prerequisite: Clumsiness.
Item
(a) Any item. Always on; the wearer’s DX is raised while item is worn!
This is a very rare item. Energy cost to create: 2,000 per point of increase
(maximum 5). (b) Staff or wand. Usable only by mages; the item must
touch the subject. Energy cost to create: 2,000.

So in my understanding, any object can be enchanted to boost any attribute, as there are also Might (ST), Vigor (HT) and Wisdom (IQ).

I'm using GCA5, Version 5.0.202.0

Many thanks
Old 01-22-2023, 07:08 AM   #8
Doppio

I found the problem!
There was probably an error loading the GURPS Magic 4e book under the standard library.
Now in the list, there are:

~Grace, Always On
~Might, Always On
~Wisdom, Always On
and
~Vigor, Always On

Thanks both for your help.

Regards