Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
LBurger

Default Feint and other combat questions.

Hey all.

Well, i have some questions as how you deal with some stuff in combat, hope you can help me with your thoughts:

1) If someone hit a critical hit in a Feint check, what happens? The opponent cant defend the attack or something?

2) If the someone is lying down, and an attacker Feints him, does the prone guy have -4 penalty to his Feint check?

3) If I have Dual Weapon Attack, can I Feint with one weapon and attack with the second in the same round (benefiting from the Feint)?

4) If I have Dual Weapon Attack, I cant trade one of them to make a Rapid Attack, right?

If anything else comes to my mind, ill post here.

Thx in advance.

Burger
LBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Feint and other combat questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBurger View Post
Hey all.

Well, i have some questions as how you deal with some stuff in combat, hope you can help me with your thoughts:

1) If someone hit a critical hit in a Feint check, what happens? The opponent cant defend the attack or something?
Feints are quick contests, as such, there are no crits (successes or failures)
Quote:
2) If the someone is lying down, and an attacker Feints him, does the prone guy have -4 penalty to his Feint check?
Not sure, but I would say that no.
Quote:
3) If I have Dual Weapon Attack, can I Feint with one weapon and attack with the second in the same round (benefiting from the Feint)?
Yeah, fairly common in my games.
Quote:
4) If I have Dual Weapon Attack, I cant trade one of them to make a Rapid Attack, right?

Burger
No, you can not perform dual weapon attack and rapid strike on the same turn
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
LBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Quote:

Yeah, fairly common in my games.
But if I attack with one weapon, feint with the second, the Feint aplies to ALL attacks made in the next round, right (as it states that a Feint lasts for 1 second).
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Dinadon

Quote:
But if I attack with one weapon, feint with the second, the Feint aplies to ALL attacks made in the next round, right (as it states that a Feint lasts for 1 second).
You should see Martial Arts, pg 127, which goes into this in detail. in short your feint gets to apply to one turn's worth of attacks. If you attack after you feint, but on the same turn, then it applies that turn. If your attack is instead on your next turn it will be that turn that feint applies.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
LBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
If your attack is instead on your next turn it will be that turn that feint applies.
I see that. But if I have a Double Weapon Attack, use one to attack and the other to feint, the feint will aplly too all my attacks next turn, right?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Joseph R

Quote:
I see that. But if I have a Double Weapon Attack, use one to attack and the other to feint, the feint will aplly too all my attacks next turn, right?
I don't believe so.

If you feint and attack all in same turn, then you don't also get a whole other second's worth of feint benefit on your following turn as well. It would probably be legit to do some multiple "attack" action that ended with the Feint, if you wanted the benefit next turn. But then that would be instead of the benefit on this turn, of course.

Getting the benefit over 2 turns could be quite unbalancing. Consider that it's legal for any person to combine Rapid Strike with All-Out Attack and get three attacks in one turn. If you started with AoA (Feint) w/Rapid Strike and then followed with AoA (Double) w/Rapid Strike, that would give 5 attacks that potentially benefited from a single feint. Things would get even more abusive once you factored in characters with Extra Attack(s) who could do so without sacrificing defences.
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
if you feint as your LAST attack, then the feint will apply to all the attacks you made during your NEXT turn. Easy peasy
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote