Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #51
Langy

Default Re: Rapid Healing and Regeneration

Quote:
1. But the writeup for Regeneration doesn't say that. If we get into hypotheticals you ask what if Warp mentioned in the write up that it could be considered mundane with an unusual background cost.
We've been talking about removing Very Rapid Healing from the book and telling people to use a five-point Unusual Background + Slow Regeneration in place of it. We pretty much by necessity are talking about hypotheticals here.

Anyways, if this still upsets you, what about changing the description of VRH to 'This is Regeneration (Slow) plus a five point unusual background. Do not take Very Rapid Healing as well as Regeneration.'

The point is that Very Rapid Healing is effectively exactly the same as Regeneration (Slow), only it costs more. If you don't allow Regeneration (Slow) in a campaign if it costs the same as VRH, you shouldn't allow VRH, either.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #52
trooper6

But they aren't the same.

Very Rapid Healing: Whenever you roll to recover lost HP or to see if you can get over a crippling injury, you get +5 to your effective HT. ... when you roll to recover lost HP, a successful HT roll means you heal two HP, not one. Prerequisite: HT12+

Regeneration includes Rapid Healing (but not Very Rapid Healing)...so Slow Regeneration is: Whenever you roll to recover lost HP or to see if you can get over a crippling injury, you get +5 to your effective HT. You recover 1 HP every 12 hours, in addition to normal healing.

PC Annie (with VRH)
PC ExoticBob (with Regeneration)

Situation 1
Annie and ExoticBob get into a fight, and both get heavily injured. So what do they do? They both make camp and rest for a full 24hrs, with some good food.

At the end of that day, Annie rolls her HT roll, which she makes. And she get's 2hp back due to all that resting she's been doing. ExoticBob makes his HT roll and gets 1hp back due to all that resting. Also, because of his exotic power, he also gets another 2hp...for a total of 3hp.

But what about Situation 2?
Annie and ExoticBob get into a fight, and both get heavily injured. They do some quick bandaging but have no time to rest...because they still have to locate the bomb which is going off in 24hrs! So they get their 8hrs of sleep and have to get up and keep tracking Mickey the Red Scar. At the end of that 24hr period of running, jumping, investigating (a little sleeping)...Annie gets to make no HT roll to recover HP...because she hasn't been resting. ExoticBob doesn't get to make that roll either...because he also hasn't been resting. However, ExoticBob has an exotic power...which means he heals 2hp in that 24hr time span anyway.

No sleep? No food? No rest? Running constantly? Exotic Bob is going to always get 1HP/hr. Annie only heals naturally if she gets a full day of rest and good food.

They are really not the same. And they have really different effects in games where the adventure calls for them to be run ragged.

Last edited by trooper6; 05-19-2010 at 10:46 AM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #53
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6
But they aren't the same.
True, but the first problem that comes to my mind is the assumption that Slow Regeneration could be considered mundane at all. I am not ready to accept that a natural healing rate 3x greater than normal is other than exotic, though I could be convinced otherwise. FTM, I am not even sure how realistic Very Rapid Healing is.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #54
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
True, but the first problem that comes to my mind is the assumption that Slow Regeneration could be considered mundane at all. I am not ready to accept that a natural healing rate 3x greater than normal is other than exotic, though I could be convinced otherwise. FTM, I am not even sure how realistic Very Rapid Healing is.
For me, why I'm okay with VRH in my realistic games is because the minute the PC doesn't get a full day's rest (which often is not going to happen in a time sensitive adventure), they don't get any roll at all.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #55
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
They are really not the same. And they have really different effects in games where the adventure calls for them to be run ragged.
That's a decent observation...but how does it excuse the inferior Advantage costing more points? Knock 50% off the price of VRH and it becomes more sensible.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #56
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That's a decent observation...but how does it excuse the inferior Advantage costing more points? Knock 50% off the price of VRH and it becomes more sensible.
Rapid Healing costs 5pt. Very rapid healing is an much superior to it. It costs 15pt. This is an exact parallel to Fit and Very Fit. That is very sensible to me.

Very Rapid Healing and Regeneration are Apples and Oranges to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #57
aesir23

For a more accurate comparison:

VRH =15 pts,

Slow Regeneration (HT Roll Required -10%, Accessibility: Only While Resting -20%) =7 pts
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #58
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
The problem is that unless you can buy both together, Regeneration is always better, no matter what.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #59
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Rapid Healing costs 5pt. Very rapid healing is an much superior to it. It costs 15pt. This is an exact parallel to Fit and Very Fit. That is very sensible to me.

You just made a post comparing them. I quoted from it. You can't then say that they can't be compared.

Your comparison pointed out how Regeneration (Slow) is different from and superior to Very Rapid Healing.

It does not matter how you categorize them. People compared Basic Set Gunslinger to levels of Guns skill, and were right to do so for all that Skills and Advantages are clearly not the same category of things, and the details differed significantly.

Oh, and not all games fall into the categories of 'supers' (if you don't have exotic advantages that's your problem), 'secret supernatural' (if you have exotic advantages you're paying a UB), or 'mundane' (you don't have exotic advantages). Various sorts of fantasy and science fiction have humans and non-humans openly coexisting. The humans, naturally enough, will generally not have exotic advantages, while most non-humans will have some. But being a non-human in such settings is not an Unusual Background. Their special abilities are balanced by the point cost of those abilities.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #60
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
The problem is that unless you can buy both together, Regeneration is always better, no matter what.
Regeneration is not better if it isn't available in the campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You just made a post comparing them. I quoted from it. You can't then say that they can't be compared.

Your comparison pointed out how Regeneration (Slow) is different from and superior to Very Rapid Healing.
Clearly you didn't get what I was saying in my comment. When I said that they were apples and oranges, I didn't mean to say you couldn't compare them, but that they are two different things. One is exotic, one is mundane. One is not guaranteed to be available in any given campaign.

But we clearly disagree. I have no problem with the costs, and you do. So I'll continue to be happy with RAW and step out of this thread so that you can continue on complaining about it.

Tags
house rules, rapid healing, regeneration