Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 AM   #31
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo2001 View Post
Um, did all of you miss the part about the big Reality Quake of January 1, 2000? That means that pretty much everything in the Schroeck timeline is subject to revision in any way the GM wants. Constant reality quakes fit right into the genre because superheroes keep getting relaunched, and because despite their awesome powers and their super-science, their world doesn't change too much.

I think one good type of change, which is also very much in the genre, would be to make a most of the characters younger. Voltmaster and Doctor Radiation still work as old guys, but Flamin' Jane would be over 50 now, kind of long-in-the-tooth to be flying around in a minimalist body-stocking.

[EDIT: Removed NSFW link and slight political threadcrap --PK]

Anyway, unless there was a super actually on one of the planes, the September 11 attacks would have probably gone the same way, with Supers as well as F-16s being deployed too late to stop the attacks. IST New York and other supers could have saved more people, particularly if Drop Zone was on the scene.

Part of the problem there was the person who wrote up those sample characters added specific dates of birth, something of a no-no when dealing with largely unaging Super hero types. She was in her mid 30s by the time of the 2nd edition of Supers. She turned 52 on Feb 12th. Given that Reed Richards was a WWII vet, this is not that big a problem for the Genre.

My main objections to the 'update' is that it completely wipes out the world descibed in IST with 'Reality Quakes' and definitely is incompatible with the material J. Hunter Johnson had in Pyramid about IST and Infinity.

Edit: See "Banestorming Infinity Unlimited" June 19th, 1998. Krypton 1, the "Evil IST" is negotiating with Centrum, not really doable from Q3, where the new IST puts that universe.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.

Last edited by Captain-Captain; 03-20-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #32
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

The Reality Quake of 2000 could be used to "reset" the birthdates of popular heroes and villains in the IST worlds. Or it could make a new reality full of younger versions of the same superbeings. Call them IST-1 and IST-2, with the major difference being the ages of the super-beings ... wait, this sound familiar ...

If one insists on the War on Terror, the COBRA-style super-terrorist organization idea sounds better than a real-life band of cave-dweller car-bombers. That would mean that some equivalent to SHIELD or G.I. Joe would be needed.

And airplanes wouldn't be needed for a 9/11 scenario - in the IST world, terrorist groups had already gone nuclear multiple times. A multiple nuclear bombing strike, perhaps, or even a biological strike (perhaps a Wild Card virus like infection, creating a new flurry of monstrously-mutated victims).

By the way, are the IST worlds the same as the Krypton worlds in the old Pyramid article? Or are they completely separate realities with no connection? (Perhaps the IST worlds are comic books on the Krypton worlds and vice versa?)
Old 03-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #33
LoneWolf23k

I'm pretty sure IST is the new term for the worlds that used to be called Krypton in those Pyramid Article.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #34
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
I'm pretty sure IST is the new term for the worlds that used to be called Krypton in those Pyramid Article.
IST is the name of the Would that use to be in GURPS Supers.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #35
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Part of the problem there was the person who wrote up those sample characters
That should be "people", not "person".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
added specific dates of birth, something of a no-no when dealing with largely unaging Super hero types. She was in her mid 30s by the time of the 2nd edition of Supers. She turned 52 on Feb 12th. Given that Reed Richards was a WWII vet, this is not that big a problem for the Genre.
Since it appears you don't like Bob's "standard life-extension package in the metagene" doubletalk... Quoting from some of Bob's supplementary material on his website:

"This material was originally written for GURPS I.S.T. in 1989, and revised a couple years later for a Roleplayer/Pyramid article that never quite made it. As a result, some of its dates (particularly the 1990s' "ten year plan") -- are woefully out of sync with the real world. It doesn't take a genius to figure that the GM needs to shift things by fifteen or more years when it comes to the active dates in order to put the Circle's plans right where a well-run campaign would make best use of them. "

There you go - the person who wrote the book has given you permission to change specific dates. (Not that a GM really needs permission to change anything in her own game, but for some reason unknown to me a few people want to have that permission anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
My main objections to the 'update' is that it completely wipes out the world descibed in IST with 'Reality Quakes' and definitely is incompatible with the material J. Hunter Johnson had in Pyramid about IST and Infinity.
J. Hunter Johnson isn't Robert M. Schroeck... but it's your game and you get to pick and choose what you want in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
The Reality Quake of 2000 could be used to "reset" the birthdates of popular heroes and villains in the IST worlds. Or it could make a new reality full of younger versions of the same superbeings. Call them IST-1 and IST-2, with the major difference being the ages of the super-beings ... wait, this sound familiar ...
"Ummm. Speaking for myself, I'd prefer to avoid blatant thefts from either DC or Marvel ... " -Chris Davies, July 30, 2005, in a discussion about updating GURPS I.S.T. to the Infinite Worlds setting.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
IST is the name of the Would that use to be in GURPS Supers.
Which in the old Pyramid articles was called "Krypton".
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
Phantasm

Random Idea:

IST-2K - The name given by Infinity for the world of IST after the Y2K "reality quake". The "reality quake" event was revealed to be the total elimination of superhumans from the world when one of the priemier heroes in the IST first secured political power through subtle telepathic mind control, and then actual world-shattering raw power from an outside source - still unrevealed at this time. This hero ultimately conquered the world - keeping the existing infrastructure intact - and ruled for a brief time before suffering a fatal heart attack. Upon his death, power reverted to the various governments, who then had to figure out what to do now that superhumans were no longer a force to dealt with. As such, many laws which created the ISTs were repealed.

It is now ten years after that event (ca. 2010, or the present day). The first new superhumans have just appeared on the scene, mainly in India, China, Russia, Canada, and the United States. The UN, remembering that it was an IST member who conquered the world, has not reinstituted the ISTs.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #38
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Random Idea:

IST-2K - The name given by Infinity for the world of IST after the Y2K "reality quake". The "reality quake" event was revealed to be the total elimination of superhumans from the world when one of the priemier heroes in the IST first secured political power through subtle telepathic mind control, and then actual world-shattering raw power from an outside source - still unrevealed at this time. This hero ultimately conquered the world - keeping the existing infrastructure intact - and ruled for a brief time before suffering a fatal heart attack. Upon his death, power reverted to the various governments, who then had to figure out what to do now that superhumans were no longer a force to dealt with. As such, many laws which created the ISTs were repealed.

It is now ten years after that event (ca. 2010, or the present day). The first new superhumans have just appeared on the scene, mainly in India, China, Russia, Canada, and the United States. The UN, remembering that it was an IST member who conquered the world, has not reinstituted the ISTs.
I like that. Would you mind if I copied it to Bob's forums, giving you attribution?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Why? I mean you just undone the key point to the setting? if you do that, you might as well start from stack in yet another super setting... All i see it does is annoy fans.

I mean you Don't Disband the CIA just because one Operative goes Rogue... what you do is simply make it harder for it to be repeated
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #40
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Why? I mean you just undone the key point to the setting? if you do that, you might as well start from stack in yet another super setting... All i see it does is annoy fans.
Some people like that sort of game, though.

What this does is give a rich, detailed background with a good amount of history, but gives the players freedom to create characters that wouldn't work in a high-profile team. It also gives the GM an in-game reason for random NPCs to distrust any metahuman.

It isn't the sort of game that I'd run, but I do like the concept...

Tags
international super teams