Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
larsdangly

Default Question for the hive mind re. knocked down combatants

Consider the following situation: On turn 1 of a combat at DX 12, combatant A strikes B, doing 8 points of damage. B is scheduled to act at DX 11, and C (on the same side as A) at 10.

The rules state clearly that B is immediately knocked to the ground, loses any attack that could have been delivered on turn 1, and on the following turn (2) is permitted a limited range of actions (stand up, crawl or do nothing). Combatant C clearly should be licking his chops in anticipation for his +4 DX attack at a downed foe that will come at DX 10 of turn 1.

Or should he? In principle, the letter of the law permits combatant B to do any action other than attack during turn 1 (presumably at DX 9, because of the penalty for a wound of more than 5 points). So, why can't B just stand up on turn 1?

I feel like the spirit of the rule forbids this, and that B is intended to lose ALL actions during turn 1. But the rules only state that he has lost a possible attack.

What is your ruling, hive mind?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Question for the hive mind re. knocked down combatants

Fiigures who have not already acted can do nothing the turn they are knocked down, including standing up, which is strongly implied by their allowable actions on the following turn.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
FireHorse

That's the way I would interpret it too: B is momentarily stunned (by that massive 8 point hit, and being driven to the ground), and can't do anything at all this turn.

And if C does his job, B will never get a chance to do anything next turn, either.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
larsdangly

This jives with my extrapolation about the RAW, but do you know of anywhere in the text (beyond the obvious passage in p. 118 ITL) that makes this clear?
Old 05-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
This jives with my extrapolation about the RAW, but do you know of anywhere in the text (beyond the obvious passage in p. 118 ITL) that makes this clear?
From your page reference, I see this:
Quote:
It may do nothing next turn except stay down . . .
I'm reading a lot into that word stay.

In any event, how's this: I checked the Wizard rules under Reactions To Injury, p. 21.
Quote:
If it has not yet acted that turn, it may take no action.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The GM Screen also seems to support this idea:
"Knocked down last turn: DX = 0 for most purposes; only try to stand/crawl this turn"

But you are right, p118 says:
"A figure that takes 8 or more hits in one turn immediately falls down. If it has not already attacked, it may not attack that turn."

I think that's an error and should read, "If it has not already acted, it may not act that turn." Consistent with the Wizard rules quote above
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
larsdangly

One of many places where you need to have a good sense of the overall intent of the rules to apply what's written correctly.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Skarg

I think that, with some of that common sense, it's quite clear that no actions (not just no attacks) is what's meant.

Of course, I can also think of at least half a dozen other rules questions whose answers seem clear to me, but not to everyone (or not with the same answer as everyone).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #9
JustAnotherJarhead

I'm with Skarg, It's the difference of a "hard hit" like 5+ points of damage that give a handicap of -2 to strike, vs: a knocked on your ass, knock the wind out of you, OMG I didn't see that coming! type of attack that truly floors you, if not kills you.

In fact I'm surprised the rules allow for you to stand in a single round. It would be reasonable to require longer, or add more to the options, like: you can crawl slowly away at the rate of two hexes, but counter attacking is out of the question for two rounds while you orient yourself, pick up your dropped weapon etc...

I noticed that the new rule of being weakened when being reduced to 3 ST or less is particularly mortal in combat. so much for the Halfling snipers lasting more than a hit or two...

Viva armor!
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote