Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Wild Magic Blast

I'd avoid comedy effects like turning people blue unless the game is intended to have that flare. Effects like uncontrolled levitation or growing larger or smaller can have great effects on a game. And if there's going to be beneficial effects thrown into the random list I'd give the Random limitation a bit more juice.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Or you can build it as a Modular Ability.

Build your list of possible effects like normal abilities. Figure out which one is the most expensive and then:

M.A. (Cosmic Slotted) (Requires gestures, magic words, -20%; PM, -10%; Random, -10%*) Cost per slot: 5 points base + 3 points per point of abilities.

So if the most expensive ability is 50pts you would need:

Wild Magic Blast (50) [155]

add more slots if you want them to be able to cast more than one spell at a time.

*Random = you can not control what ability manifests when you use your power. It can be the most powerful ability you can do or a fart. I peg this at -10% modifier.
I don't understand these numbers at all. You end up paying 155 points to get an ability that can blast your target for as much damage as a 50 point ability ?

If the best it can do is a 50 point ability, but there is a good chance it won't do anything or do something completely unexpected I would look at it as a form of unreliable, so it should end up costing LESS than what the most expensive ability costs, not 3 times more.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
zoncxs

100 50pt abilities bought as AA cost 50 + (50×99)/5 = 1040pts

That's extreme and, and compared to what I made. I would take what I made.

If you only have about 11 abilites, then buying them as AA with some form of unreliable is cheaper, above that, costs more.

I'll post more when I get home, but cost wise for a power like what is being requested is not cheap. Hope that makes more sense.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

If it were me, I'd price for the most powerful ability and then slap a Limitation, based on Accessibility pricing for how often on average it will be useful, denote that it actually has a range of abilities and they the actual ability used its randomly determined and call it a day.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelDrop View Post
Long story short: One of my players wants a wild magic blast. Basically, it's an innate attack but no-one knows what's going to happen on the receiving end. Could be fire. Could be Extacy affliction. Could be turning into a frog.

What are my options here?
I'd do this as Wild Talent + Ability Only (+0%) and some limitation to reflect it only does "blasts."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #16
FuelDrop

How about a baseline attack with the Wildcard modifier and some form of random effect limitation? Maybe a stun affliction as the baseline?
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:37 AM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd do this as Wild Talent + Ability Only (+0%) and some limitation to reflect it only does "blasts."
This could work, but only once per day.

I think "expected value" is the fairest, minus a little bit for the unpredictability.