Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Hex-scale labyrinth mapping?

Those are pretty interesting; I love how they approximate the scale of a megahex, yet solve the tessellation problems you encounter when going back and forth between labyrinth and battle-map scale hexes. The description says one set has 14 backgrounds, which doesn't seem like much diversity for a pdf product; how many unique tiles are there?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Hobgoblin

Default Re: Hex-scale labyrinth mapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Those are pretty interesting; I love how they approximate the scale of a megahex, yet solve the tessellation problems you encounter when going back and forth between labyrinth and battle-map scale hexes. The description says one set has 14 backgrounds, which doesn't seem like much diversity for a pdf product; how many unique tiles are there?
Maths isn't my strong point, but I think the potential combinations would run into the thousands. The Battle Tiles one actually has 20 backgrounds (including six 'bonus' ones) and then has 70 different features that can be added on top (chiefly roads and rivers in different positions). Then there are six sets of 'obstructions' (fog, rocks, bushes, etc). In most cases, it would be a case of adding one feature and perhaps one obstruction - but bushes won't go over rivers, for example. That said, my Adobe skills aren't great, so I'm not sure whether you can fiddle with the order in which the layers are applied.

The corridors set allows for many more combinations of features - so that you can have caves with walls, sand, vines and shallow water, plus stairs leading down (for example). There must be many thousands of potential combinations there.

It's worth noting that the set isn't designed with TFT-style megahexes in mind. When I used them, I just put together sheets of hexes and didn't worry about megahexes at all.

But you could do a couple of things to create sets of versatile megahexes that scale with the official TFT ones. The most obvious thing is to use the 1.5" grid and just cut out a megahex from the centre of each page. You'd be printing a sheet of A4 per megahex to do that, though.

Another option would be to use a much smaller grid (0.75") and then scale it up by printing at an appropriately large size, so that you get virtually a full page from which several megahexes can be cut out.

If you were to print on paper and then glue to sturdy board, you could easily create lots of full-colour, interlocking megahexes.
Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote