Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Wizards, for your consideration, the Whip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
What happens when you float your lasso over a foe who immediately takes it off, walks across the arena and skewers you?
Quick-draw(Lasso)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #12
JustAnotherJarhead

I'm squarely in the camp that a "Lasso" is imbalanced.

I happen to be a lasso user in real life, I call it a Lariat, and it's just for fun, but I've been throwing a braided lariat for a few years, and if for nothing more than game balance, it should be adjusted.

Similar "unusual" weapons have a ST requirement higher to use, and unlike missle weapons, and more like thrown weapons, ST is just as important in hitting a target as DX is.

When I snap out at 15-20' to try and snatch your leg, it's very much a strength thing as a DX thing, and it's actually easier to grab a limb than people think.

But the thrown weapons penalties and the damage inflicted and the ST required to use it, and use it well should probably be revisted.

Also keep in mind the two hands required to use it.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #13
Skarg

All that makes sense, and does seem to me to be needed, but I also think there should be some chance to avoid an entangling weapon if you're facing it, especially if you have things like a shield and/or hand weapons ready.

And I'm curious what you think of that from a realism point of view. Assuming an accurate throw, if your target is facing you and not distracted, what are the odds like of them dodging or blocking a lasso with a hand weapon or shield?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
JustAnotherJarhead

Its funny you should ask that. From time to time, men get bored and when those men happen to be lariat users, a game can result.

We call it cowboy jousting.

In essence it's just like it sounds, two opponents start off facing each other about 20' apart.
You have to successfully immobilize your opponent or preferably take him to the ground with a quick jerk of an entangled limb.

If you are especially lucky you will get a full body capture, both arms and torso, but that is really hard to achieve, so it's usually just a single limb.

Although I've never defended with a weapon or shield, I am sure it would add a level of difficulty, or....now thinking about it, it might also add a degree of liability, I could in theory grab your weapon or shield just as easily as your leg.

If someone was not actively waiting to be lassoed, it would be dead easy to ensnare them. But because they are dodging, and simultaneously attempting to ensnare you at the same time, it's quite a challenge. Then of course the strategy comes into play as well, do I throw, do I wait and throw etc...

Also in play is the speed or strength of your throw as well as your accuracy, and then of course the snap back timing and Strength, with out the snap back not much else matters because it's a sliding noose of a construction.

I've had a foot ensnared many times, basically they lead you, toss ahead anticipating your next step, and you literally step right into it in the blink of an eye. but, I've stepped out a hundred times cause they were just a split second slow on the snap back to close the loop.

I battled many a cowboy and a cowgirl or two who was quicker than me, maybe even possess better Dexterity, but they would always comment how hard and fast that coil came AT them, basically not expecting the force I threw. It wasn't intentional, its just how I did it, if you have a strong arm, you use it, and I never claimed to be the quickest shot in the west, but it was also a learning lesson, DX isn't everything with thrown weapons.

Now...I want to engage a sword n shield user just to see how it goes!
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #15
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
I want you to too! Let us know how that works out if you get a chance!

Thanks for the information! Great stuff!

In short though, it sounds like it should not just be a to-hit roll being an automatic effect.

Does it take 30 seconds to re-ready after a miss?

How many lassos could be carried by someone on foot? (i.e. is it possible to have backup lassos that can be readied after a miss instead of coiling for 6 turns?) A different number if mounted?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #16
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
And upload the video!
Cowboy jousting currently returns some lariat action but not quite so relevant....
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote