Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
LoganSaj
Fist-Wavin' Shatner

Default Dark Sun magic

Does anyone have any ideas of how to replicate the methods of using magic in the Dark Sun setting in GURPS, not as the only way to use magic, but as an optional method?

For those who are unfamiliar, here are a few highlights (fans can feel free to correct or elaborate on this):

There are two methods for using magic: preserving & defiling. Defilers draw upon the energy/mana of the world and living energies around them, regardless of the cost or side effects upon those life forces (i.e., wilting plants, turning forests into deserts, etc.) Preservers perform the opposite.

I would imagine that the preservers pretty much use the main system of magic presented in GURPS - a balanced method. But, defilers are potentially more powerful, as they can destroy other life around them just to cast more powerful spells.

Hopefully someone else can clarify or elaborate on this better. ;)

Character: Senator Gracchus
Actor: Derek Jacobi
Movie: Gladiator
LoganSaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Dark Sun magic

http://www.secretmasters.net/wrathch..._and_athas.htm

Googlentary, my dear doctor LoganSaj.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
LoganSaj
Fist-Wavin' Shatner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli
Yes, I read that, thank you. :-) However, I was curious if someone had any other ideas ... aside from Umana.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:19 AM   #4
The Speaker in Dreams

I've got some GURPS - Darksun conversion notes if you're interested ... drop me a PM or whatever with where you want the file sent.
A thick mist enters the room, filling the space with a sense of mystery. In the center a shadowy form can be seen standing, but it's features are obscurred, it's speech echoed by some unnatural means and as quickly as it speaks . . . the shadow fades, and the mists roll away . . .
The Speaker in Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganSaj
There are two methods for using magic: preserving & defiling. Defilers draw upon the energy/mana of the world and living energies around them, regardless of the cost or side effects upon those life forces (i.e., wilting plants, turning forests into deserts, etc.) Preservers perform the opposite.

I would imagine that the preservers pretty much use the main system of magic presented in GURPS - a balanced method. But, defilers are potentially more powerful, as they can destroy other life around them just to cast more powerful spells.
Just make it so Defilers can draw mana from the environment instead of using their own, but when X amount of mana is drawn from a place, whatever was living there is killed and the place becomes a lower- or no-mana zone.
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
LoganSaj
Fist-Wavin' Shatner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie the Technomancer
Just make it so Defilers can draw mana from the environment instead of using their own, but when X amount of mana is drawn from a place, whatever was living there is killed and the place becomes a lower- or no-mana zone.
hmm ... what sort of game mechanics would you put behind something like this though? I want it to be a tempting method for PC's, but with social and environmental repercussions.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Huyderman
MIB

Perhaps "A steal mana" advantage or something. An Inherent attack or something that converts damage dealt into extra power or something. Unfortunatly I don't have 4e yet so I can't give any better suggestions.
MiB#0505
http://www.huyderman.com/
Huyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #8
Akicita

Quote:
hmm ... what sort of game mechanics would you put behind something like this though? I want it to be a tempting method for PC's, but with social and environmental repercussions.
Don't have my 4e yet, so there may be a better way to do this, but...

I'd be tempted to invert the cost of Drain Mana. Instead of spending energy drain all the mana from an area, these mages draw power from their surroundings, with the side effect of creating a no-mana region centered on themselves. The radius of the area is determined by how much power they drew.

The effects that could be accomplished with all the extra power one could draw should tempt someone to consider the no-mana area a small price to pay. ("It was only a field, anyway.") But any ordinary mages and mana-dependent creatures would probably not buy that justification.
Akicita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
GreenNight

Let's start with a vampiric bite. Add malediction (choosing the least expensive option), area effect, dissipation and emanation. To end the mix add a homemade limitation "only usable as fatige to power spells up cast within 1 minute after last draining round -20%" that you can alter to better suit your needs.
Stealing 1Hp and 2 yards radius is worth 24 points. 33 for 4 radius +15/each doubling of radius
2Hp and 2 yards 28 points. 39 for 4 radius +17.5(round up)/ each doubling of radius
3Hp and 2 yards 32points. 44 for 4 radius +20(round up)/ each doubling of radius

Just do the math yourself or continue these progressions.

Now add standard Magery to the mix at will. And the main differences beetwen preservers and defilers is a secret and code of honor (not exhaust living beings) for the former and enemies and reputation for the later.
GreenNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM   #10
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
This is off the top of my head.

Instead of burning their own energy (and some from all around because of high skill), a Defiler only spends half (or less, depending on how poweful you'd want to make it) of the energy required to cast a spell and draws the rest from the surrounding environment, effectively giving him two times the energy points a normal spellcaster has. The ground immediately becomes dead (as of the LifeBane disadvantage) and drained of mana, for an area equal to, say, half the energy that was drained. and centered on the spellcaster (this takes place only after the spell is cast, of course).

I wouldn't make being a Defiler different than being a normal mage; it is just a question of choice for the spellcaster (at least that's the impression I got from my extremely limited knowledge of Dark Sun*; if it's not the case, just charge an enhancement on Magery). Of course, there would be social stigmas associated from being a Defiler.

*The Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager CRPGs.

Last edited by Stephane_Theriault; 09-07-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote