Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #41
JLV

Default Re: TFT Gamemasters Screen -- What needs to be in it?

Or maybe come with a built in pizza stone...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #42
Ronald

For some reason I was just thinking about the Hackmaster 4e screen which was laminated so wet/dry erase markers could be used on it.
I have not used a screen in quite some time, but I wonder if any of you see value in such a feature?
I also have no idea as to the feasibility of manufacture.

(Also useful for easy cleanup of stains, spills, smudges, fingerprints, etc.)
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #43
JLV

That's an excellent idea, but I have no idea what it would do to production costs, timelines, or profit margins.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #44
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

It would add cost. With current tech, it would probably not change production time.

I'm not sure I see the value in making the ref screen shiny/water-resistant - reflective things, in fact, are harder for me to read. But I will invite others to speak on the subject.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #45
JLV

I suppose you WOULD have to do it to both sides, wouldn't you? I was thinking more of the GM side of the screen though, so he could literally take notes on things that needed to be done, or adjust results for a specific issue for his campaign, etc., with a grease pencil or something.

Reflective on the player side would be a pain in the tochus. That's a problem for me -- remembering that the PLAYERS will want to read the information on their side and use this thing too! ;-)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #46
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
It would add cost. With current tech, it would probably not change production time.

I'm not sure I see the value in making the ref screen shiny/water-resistant - reflective things, in fact, are harder for me to read. But I will invite others to speak on the subject.
The potential advantages of a laminated screens:
  • The ability to use overhead pens to call out session-specific items
  • Tape does not lift text off (neither by pulling the ink/toner off nor by pulling the fibers it's on/in away from the substrate)
  • Resistance to spilled beverages (provided the edges are sealed, too)
  • Slightly improved wear and tear resistance

Drawbacks:
  • increased Glare (many paper screens have glare, too)
  • increased price
  • increased shipping mass

Also, matte finish lamination exists, and is a standard in naval charts, and used by some pilots for checklists, Terminal Approach Charts, Terminal ground/taxi charts, and terminal data pages. It has an added benefit: one can write upon it with pencil. (Erasing needs a gum or vinyl eraser; rubber won't do; it damages the finish. Scotch tape, however, will lift the pencil...)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #47
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Also, matte finish lamination exists, and is a standard in naval charts, and used by some pilots for checklists, Terminal Approach Charts, Terminal ground/taxi charts, and terminal data pages. It has an added benefit: one can write upon it with pencil. (Erasing needs a gum or vinyl eraser; rubber won't do; it damages the finish. Scotch tape, however, will lift the pencil...)
That last is quite true -- we used that when I flew Helicopters for the USAF (which was almost 30 years ago); I'd frankly forgotten that.

However, having said that, it might be more expensive than regular lamination.

(Which also raises the point that if we can find a print shop willing to do the job, we could always just laminate them ourselves...)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #48
Rick_Smith

Default Writing on GM screens. POLL.

I do not see any need for the ability to write on the GM screen. It's job is to hide my secret papers, and provide info in a big, easy to read format.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #49
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
That last is quite true -- we used that when I flew Helicopters for the USAF (which was almost 30 years ago); I'd frankly forgotten that.

However, having said that, it might be more expensive than regular lamination.

(Which also raises the point that if we can find a print shop willing to do the job, we could always just laminate them ourselves...)
Relative cost varies by size - for pouch laminators, it's about 30-50% extra. For 3x4' maps, it's more than 10x the cost, due to low demand.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #50
JLV

Default Re: Writing on GM screens. POLL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
I do not see any need for the ability to write on the GM screen. It's job is to hide my secret papers, and provide info in a big, easy to read format.

Warm regards, Rick.
That may be true, Rick, but other folks would seemingly like to have the capability.