Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
rdowdy95

Default Fighting more than one monster. Level up multiple times?

First time Munchkin player. Me and the son did our first game very slow step by step style.

We came across this where he played a wandering monster as I was fighting another monster. I killed both monsters. Do I level up twice? Since I killed my monster and his wandering monster?

Another question. Same instance. After beating both monsters I got two treasure cards for one monster and one treasure for the wandering monster he played. So I got three treasure cards...Problem was in my hand I had 3 monster cards. So at this point I had six cards in hand and I am only suppose to have 5 cards. So am I right to discard enough of those cards to the lowest level played on the table, and if their hands are full discard to the discard pile?

Thanks guys...I can't wait to really get into this game even further. All I have is some level counters to keep track of level and the original Munchkin card game. Pretty sweet!

Last edited by rdowdy95; 08-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
rdowdy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Flemroid

Default Re: Fighting more than one monster. Level up multiple times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowdy95 View Post
First time Munchkin player. Me and the son did our first game very slow step by step style.

We came across this where he played a wandering monster as I was fighting another monster. I killed both monsters. Do I level up twice? Since I killed my monster and his wandering monster?

Another question. Same instance. After beating both monsters I got two treasure cards for one monster and one treasure for the wandering monster he played. So I got three treasure cards...Problem was in my hand I had 3 monster cards. So at this point I had six cards in hand and I am only suppose to have 5 cards. So am I right to discard enough of those cards to the lowest level played on the table, and if their hands are full discard to the discard pile?

Thanks guys...I can't wait to really get into this game even further. All I have is some level counters to keep track of level and the original Munchkin card game. Pretty sweet!

You are correct in regards to leveling up. You level up for every monster you defeat. So if you defeated 2 monsters that each gave you 1 level you would level up twice.

In regards to the treasures. You are correct, you do get the total sum of the treasures given by all the monsters you defeated, BUT you may have as many cards in you hands as humanly possible until you end your turn. Then you can only have 5. Which means that if you were able to play any of those cards in front of you if they were items/races/classes etc you could do that before giving charity or you could play any curses or level up cards that you had as well.
If you had no cards to play and needed to give charity, it would go to the lowest level player at the table no matter how many cards he/she may have as again they can hold as many cards as humanly possible until the end of their turn.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Bampop

Yes, you get levels and treasures for all monsters slain.

When getting down to your 5 card limit, you give to the lowest level player. There is no limit to the cards they may have until the end of their turn. The only way you have to discard is if you are the lowest level at the end of your turn.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowdy95 View Post
So am I right to discard enough of those cards to the lowest level played on the table, and if their hands are full discard to the discard pile?
In addition, you may never discard cards from your hand to the discard pile UNLESS it is the end of your turn, you have more than 5 cards and you are the lowest level. Charity MUST be given if there is a lower level player and you have more than 5 cards at the end of your turn.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
rdowdy95

Guys! Thanks so much! You have been a great help. I know where I am coming if I have more questions. I LOVE MUNCHKIN!
rdowdy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
C. J. Burke

With regard to hitting the card limit with multiple monsters -- it rarely happens to me because I either find myself dumping cards to beat them or promising some of the cards to other players in exchange for their help. So you can use the card limit in your decision-making process.
C. J. Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Since the card limit only comes into play at the end of one's turn, I'm unsure of what you are trying to say above.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level, monster, rdowdy95, wandering