Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
Tom H.

Default Re: Convoy (split from Pocket Box thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Reminds: A couple of the vehicle designs in _Convoy_ are Illegal;
Yes, I believe Steve is still wanted by the state AADA chapters of Tennessee and Kentucky.

But the scandal doesn't end there. Black Jesse's son Smoke turned in the previous Steve for a respectable bounty. Steve's clone was mysteriously activated with full skills and memories in place even though the Gold Cross records show that timely braintape updates were not being performed.

Quote:
I have corrected versions if anyone is interested.
I am now curious. Can you point me to the issues?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #12
swordtart

Before we reveal any errors, maybe preface it with a spoiler alert.

It is also worth bearing in mind that designs that were legal under one edition of the rules set became illegal under a later edition (and vice versa). Some of the equipment stats changed significantly.

Unless you are playing competitively (whatever that means) I find it easier to just take them as read and just play the game. It's much easier with a solo game or refereed adventure as the referee cannot really "cheat" as they have full control anyway.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #13
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I am now curious. Can you point me to the issues?
I'm one the wrong computer at the moment; I will send you a PM later today.

(I believe that also covers Spoilage issues, yes? :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
Fred Skin

Started playing and found that page directions to Beaver Dam from Elizabethtown are missing. Fortunately, the GM's map can get you past that. But it makes me wonder if the error was in the original or only in the reprint.
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #15
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I'd like to hear about your experiences with Convoy if you want to post them.

I played it in the 80's with friends, and it was exciting.

After I get and play the new 6e Kickstarter, I would really like to see the company expand into some little adventures and light role-playing scenarios for the new game.
I've played it solo, decent. Several times, in fact.
I've played it with a buddy running the bad guys... Much better. once.
I've run it in GM'd mode. The form factor is a problem; it's cumbersome. And once you do, it's not as fun solo anymore. I've run it for 3 groups.

For solo, I prefer the AutoVentures solo modules, but only a bit more.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
Started playing and found that page directions to Beaver Dam from Elizabethtown are missing. Fortunately, the GM's map can get you past that. But it makes me wonder if the error was in the original or only in the reprint.
Just to ease your mind, I pulled out an old printed copy of Convoy from 1984. It too missed giving the page number to follow up on that option.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:55 AM   #17
swordtart

I found a few of the "choose your own paragraph" scenarios had muddled paragraph references (and it must be a nightmare to proof-read them).

Brothers In Arms has at least one orphan but with some work you can identify where it is supposed to go, but generally it's best done after you have finished or you end up with spoilers. Of course once you are finished, you probably won't need to identify the mis-match.

If you are very disciplined you can just collate a list of next and prior paragraphs, and if you are lucky you will find a prior without a corresponding next somewhere, but if you end up with more than one, then you need to read the text to match them. This won't work with some scenarios because there are deliberate orphans paragraphs to discourage cheating - of course if you don't cheat you'll never read the fun text these paragraphs often contain - think of them as eastern eggs.

The authors of Convoy clearly thought about this and at least has that map with paragraphs marked to get you out of the worst trouble. You can also use it retrospectively to recalculate your power usage when you get out of sync as long as you kept at the same speed throughout. It's less useful to recalculate time as there are many instances when the encounters burn extra time between way points, but in the worst case you can just return to a known good point and follow the same choices.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
xavilongo

Quote:
Reminds: A couple of the vehicle designs in _Convoy_ are Illegal; I have corrected versions if anyone is interested.
Hello, my group of friends is starting the Convoy adventure and we would like to get your corrected versions! Thanks in advance!

Best,
Javier
xavilongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #19
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
there are deliberate orphans paragraphs to discourage cheating - of course if you don't cheat you'll never read the fun text these paragraphs often contain - think of them as eastern eggs.
#117 You punch in the code and the safe opens to reveal a cred-stick worth $200K payable to the bearer.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #20
woodchuck

There's also one that tells you you're just reading random paragraphs and don't forget the nuke going off.