Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Natural Recovery as Long Tasks?

I'm not sure what the objective of this discussion is, but based on real world healing, the reason you rest to recover from injuries is (a) it's fairly easy to re-open a partially healed wound or re-break a partially healed break, undoing your healing, and (b) you tend to not want to work, because of pain and fatigue.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Rest is a 24 hour period without performing tasks that have rolls associated.
So you can walk but not travel,
read, eat and be helpful to others but not to the point where they get a bonus to a roll
Since in theory you can roll to walk (hiking) or even do stuff which can be pretty leisurely (drive a car in an open field at 5mph) perhaps a guideline would be it's restful if it's "Like Riding a Bike" (TDM of at least +3, final effective skill of 15) since those don't require rolls as of Psionic Powers.

Quote:
If there's an attack at the hospital and you grab your gun and take a single shot to end the fight, but fall right back into bed, then that's not enough of an interruption to fail your healing for the day.
If I wanted to figure a distinction there, it's not that you didn't roll (since you did roll to hit) but that you didn't expend any Action Points if using Last Gasp rules: ranged attacks consume 0 AP (kinda strains belief though: can't recoil exhaust you? or holding up a heavy gun to aim it?)

Much like an 'attack' at low ST with a light weapon should be less exhausting than an attack using full ST with a heavy weapon it'd be neat if we could vary that bit (decimal AP!) and then the AP consumed in a fight determines how much this is going to impact your resting process: you would regain FP/HP more efficiently if your AP is nearly always full or nearly-full.

Quote:
If you buy Very Rapid Healing, I don't care what the book says, you already spent more than Regeneration so that extra HP is healed regardless of rest or HT roll, it's just a free one every day.
PK (and I think one of the MH books) proposed VRH could function like the multiplier you get for 20 HP and double HP regain from everything: not just the daily HT rolls, but also healing potions, when mages heal you, and also regeneration itself.

With that in mind I think it's fine to keep making the HT rolls: which should be pretty easy due to the +5 bonus.

You might handwaive HT rolls for Rapid (or VR) healing on the basis that the +5 could be seen as a Task Difficulty Modifier of more than +3, so long as it reaches an effective HT of 15 or more (Psionic Powers: "Like Riding a Bicycle") but if effective HT was 14 or less than you should have to roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
based on real world healing, the reason you rest to recover from injuries is
(a) it's fairly easy to re-open a partially healed wound or re-break a partially healed break, undoing your healing
(b) you tend to not want to work, because of pain and fatigue.
Applying AP or FP costs to healing covers the 2nd half of B, and I think the alternative wounding system in one of the Pyramids (forget name) dealt with long-term pain penalties for injuries.

I find in my experience of injury you don't just risk undoing your healing but even making the injury worse. Example: if I have a cut on my hand, I might not just rip off the scab, but the original cut might get wider if I'm doing a bunch of stuff with it.

That'd be something more than just HP loss though, probably something to do with Blood Loss rules and being active with an injured extremity.

I could be missing 1 HP due to a cut on my right hand and I'm not any significantly more likely to further injure my right hand if I'm keeping it in a sling but being otherwise active with the rest of me by (I'm Vegeta in this example) doing thousands of left-handed pushups.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
Rolando

I don't think "resting" for recovery purpose means doing nothing.

A resting person may heal perfectly fine by working a desk job, specially if the injury is not crippling.

A broken rib, arm or a deep cut in a hand can be healed perfectly fine while you have a normal life, going to work and doing some house chores.

I think "rest" means no strenuous activities and activities that involve the wounded part in ways that can open a wound or upset a broken bone, etc.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I think "rest" means no strenuous activities and activities that involve the wounded part in ways that can open a wound or upset a broken bone, etc.
To get crunch associated w/ this (ie what is strenuous?) wondering if maybe anything done with a wounded limb could get some kind of HT roll to avoid incurring further damage, like maybe with a penalty of -1 per 10% of max HP you've taken to that limb? Just spitballing
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiking, last gasp, long tasks, mitigators, natural recovery