Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Captain Joy

Default [Last Gasp] Does All-Out Defense recover AP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid #3/44 Alternate GURPS II, p. 10.
All-Out Defense
p. B366
You gain 2 AP that can only be spent on defensive actions. Parries, blocks, dodges, and retreats (including slips and sideslips) all count, as would resisting Quick Contests in grappling. Nothing that counts as an attack may utilize these extra points – Aggressive Parry is forbidden, for example. If unused, these AP disappear at the start of your next turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid #3/44 Alternate GURPS II, p. 13.
…it should be quite possible to drive an opponent so hard he is forced to All-Out Defend just to recover enough AP to flee!
This confuses me. How would taking All-Out Defenses ever allow you to "recover" AP? You temporarily gain 2 AP, which you lose if not spent on defensive actions. Is that the "recovery" being referred to?

The only thing I can think of is a case where someone doesn't have the AP for a Move maneuver, so they take All-Out Defense: Increased Dodge which allows you to move up to half your Move. Is that what is being referred to in the 2nd quote above? Or are there other things I am missing?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 08-05-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling error
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Last Gasp] Does All-Out Defense recover AP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
This confuses me. How would taking All-Out Defenses every allow you to "recover" AP? You temporarily gain 2 AP, which you lose if not spent on defensive actions. I that the "recovery" being referred to?

The only thing I can think of is a case where someone doesn't have the AP for a Move maneuver, so they take All-Out Defense: Increased Dodge which allows you to move up to half your Move. Is that what is being referred to in the 2nd quote above? Or are there other things I am missing?
Let me check; that might be a simple inconsistency . . . yep. That's errata in phrasing.

AoD is a Zero-Cost event, but doesn't recover AP as written.

I'd treat AoD that doesn't spend any AP on defenses as a Wait - make a HT roll with no bonus to recover AP. Basically, any time you "accidentally" do nothing without actually Doing Nothing, it would be fair to treat this as a flat HT roll to recover AP.

Good catch.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action points, all-out defense, defenses, errata, last gasp, rules clarification, wait