Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Difficult monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Dragons: You can shoot a magic-using one in the eye with a meteoric iron arrow.
AFAICT, these still aren't things.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
AFAICT, these still aren't things.
Adventurers, pg 106.

Meteoric Iron can be applied to any metal weapon for +19CF. It doesn’t prohibit projectiles, so there is no reason you can’t have meteoric arrowheads.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Delvers are effectively spelunkers or cavers who also expect to fight monsters.
Although being tethered to somebody else in a raging melee isn't ideal. ;) If the lines are short and almost taut, you'll have a lot of jerking around to deal with; I'd treat that as -2 to DX (and thus -2 to combat skills and -1 to defenses), the same as bad footing or a minor distraction, on any turn during which any ally steps or retreats. If the lines are long and slack, you'll have trip-ropes underfoot and have to make the usual DX-2 rolls every turn to avoid falling down. I'd never let it be consequence-free, though . . . it's got all the hallmarks of being a terrible idea in a fight.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Although being tethered to somebody else in a raging melee isn't ideal. ;) If the lines are short and almost taut, you'll have a lot of jerking around to deal with; I'd treat that as -2 to DX (and thus -2 to combat skills and -1 to defenses), the same as bad footing or a minor distraction, on any turn during which any ally steps or retreats. If the lines are long and slack, you'll have trip-ropes underfoot and have to make the usual DX-2 rolls every turn to avoid falling down. I'd never let it be consequence-free, though . . . it's got all the hallmarks of being a terrible idea in a fight.
In GURPS, the Sure-Footed and Teamwork Perks sound like they could reduce or eliminate some of these penalties.

Does DFRPG have some options for close-knit delvers?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm... if everyone has Quick Release Backpakcs and are 'secured' to one another via the packs, then that could pretty easily mitigate the 'tied together' penalty reducing it to only "slack ropes and packs littering the floor, -2 to attack, -1 defense for bad footing".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Hmmm... if everyone has Quick Release Backpakcs and are 'secured' to one another via the packs, then that could pretty easily mitigate the 'tied together' penalty reducing it to only "slack ropes and packs littering the floor, -2 to attack, -1 defense for bad footing".
Oooh, I love all this creative analysis, very clever.

(Be careful evileeyore, your nearing high munchkinism ;-).)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

It isn't that munchkin . . . It certainly makes it easier for some nuisance monster to sneak in and steal all the backpacks during the fight. Plus I love the idea of an absorptive jelly that's eaten a gnome with Widget-Worker just detaching the pack as it absorbs someone. ;)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I just like the visual of coordinating this.
Beastie "roar!"

Party collectively turns sideways, takes a half-step back and hits the release on their packs *thump* *thump* *thump* *thump* *thump* *thump*.

Torchbearer Tod "I'll watch the pack chain."
Old 02-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
Tom H.

Quote:
It isn't that munchkin . . . It certainly makes it easier for some nuisance monster to sneak in and steal all the backpacks during the fight. Plus I love the idea of an absorptive jelly that's eaten a gnome with Widget-Worker just detaching the pack as it absorbs someone. ;)
Touche, that's even more clever.

At first, this went totally over my head until I looked up the specifics.

Let me clarify for anyone else who missed the subtleties.

A Widget-Worker is skilled at disassembling mechanisms. An absorptive jelly can assume a victim's abilities. Therefore, the jelly would then have the ability to detach the backpack of future victims it engulfs at the moment the party tries to pull the victim out via the tether.

Can we upgrade Jellies who do this to truly evil? ;-)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #20
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
A Widget-Worker is skilled at ... mechanisms. An absorptive jelly can assume a victim's abilities. Therefore...
... it absorbs your flesh and makes a clockwork toy out of your bones and surviving equipment.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monsters