Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #41
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Weapon Bond & Signature Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But Weapon Bond says that you have to pay a character point for each new instance of Weapon Bond, and that you have to provide a storyline to show the process by which you acquire another weapon with equivalent suitability.
It certainly says the former, but I don't see how it says the latter. In fact it says "If you acquire a better weapon later on, you can buy a new Weapon Bond but not transfer an existing one." Which along with the rules on Exploits p. 93 seems to indicate that you can just spend a point on it (if you are one of the six professions that have it). I don't see any justification in the rules for adding extra hoops to acquiring this really minor ability.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It certainly says the former, but I don't see how it says the latter. In fact it says "If you acquire a better weapon later on, you can buy a new Weapon Bond but not transfer an existing one." Which along with the rules on Exploits p. 93 seems to indicate that you can just spend a point on it (if you are one of the six professions that have it). I don't see any justification in the rules for adding extra hoops to acquiring this really minor ability.
Is that what it says in DF? I know the version from GURPS Fantasy. Since I'm not planning to read DF, I probably shouldn't try to discuss the specific implications of its rules.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Is that what it says in DF? I know the version from GURPS Fantasy. Since I'm not planning to read DF, I probably shouldn't try to discuss the specific implications of its rules.
I don't understand. Why post here then?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't understand. Why post here then?
Error of judgment, perhaps.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #45
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Which is why I never take it as a Player. It's an inevitable wasted exp.
Depends on the campaign. I have a character with three "wasted" Weapon Bond points, one for a weapon that got destroyed (by him, in an embarrassing accident), and two for weapons that he no longer normally carries, but keeps for particular circumstances.

However, all three of those Weapon Bonds were very useful at earlier stages of a long-running campaign, and the three wasted points are under 1% of the experience he's earned in the campaign, so the loss doesn't seem especially significant.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #46
(E)

The most memorable use of weapon bond in one of my games was a result of a critical scavenging check looking for weapons, a broken bit of deer antler, I figured the player would use the antler as a handle for something else, nope he used it as a fist load/knuckle duster for the whole run of the character.

Providing weapon bonds from time to time especially on random or ineffective weapons is quite often a nice hook that other roleplaying elements can be built off.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #47
InfinitePudding

Vow-only use prefered weapon adds an extra wrinkle to that in the case of the Swashbuckler.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote