Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #111
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Maximum Attributes for Real World People

Or use disadvantages. Clueless [-10], Low Empathy [-20], and Oblivious [-5] would pretty much eliminate social skills while Eady to Read [-10], Hindbound [-5] and Laziness [-10] explains a relative lack of success outside of academia. Combine them with Per-4 [-20] and Will-4 [-20], and you end up with a 'realistic' and point effecient IQ 20 character for 100 CP.

Alternatively, you can give them IQ 16 [120] and Mathematical Ability 4 [40]. It ends up being about the same level of effectiveness, but it costs 60 CP. Of course, you are not burning through 100 CP of negative characteristics, so it is a matter of preference. I find the former character more interesting than the latter character, as well as more point efficient.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #112
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Or use disadvantages. Clueless [-10], Low Empathy [-20], and Oblivious [-5] would pretty much eliminate social skills while Eady to Read [-10], Hindbound [-5] and Laziness [-10] explains a relative lack of success outside of academia. Combine them with Per-4 [-20] and Will-4 [-20], and you end up with a 'realistic' and point effecient IQ 20 character for 100 CP.

Alternatively, you can give them IQ 16 [120] and Mathematical Ability 4 [40]. It ends up being about the same level of effectiveness, but it costs 60 CP. Of course, you are not burning through 100 CP of negative characteristics, so it is a matter of preference. I find the former character more interesting than the latter character, as well as more point efficient.
If you just want a Math Genius, why not take Mathematical Ability 10* [100]?

Power ups talents has rules for talents going to 4, 5, 6, and 10 levels.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #113
AlexanderHowl

See the point about point efficiency (and Talents above 4 are a highly optional rule that I do not like anyway, as it contradicts the rules on Talents in Basic). The character with IQ 20 and the 100 CP of negative traits has IQ 20 for a lot of skills outside of the purview of Mathematical Talent, includes every skill within Mathematical Talent, possesses Per and Will 16, has an IQ 20 for generic IQ rolls, and costs just as much as Mathematical Talent 10.

No, 10 CP/level talents that deal with skills from only one attribute are mostly worthless in my estimation. While the reduction in time to learn and the reaction bonus are marginally useful, they are not useful enough to make up for the fact that they are depriving points from more useful attributes, secondary characteristics, advantages, etc. Now, 10 CP/level talents that bridge multiple attributes, like Clown, are a different story entirely.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #114
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Yes. It works fine for Einstein. But it's a bit harder for Tesla who was outstandingly good for very different kind of skills (not only Physics and Mathematics) ...
Artificer and Natural Scientist?

Quote:
But no matter, the solution for creating more realistic characters is always advantages (including talents) and skills, rather than raw attributes.
"Always"? Can you back that up? I'd accept "often".
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #115
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
"Always"? Can you back that up? I'd accept "often".
Yes. Easily ...
  1. There is no historical character that cannot be created with sensible attributes level (between 8 and 14 or 15). There may be some problems at the limits, as we saw it with Hafthor Bjornsson (if you give him just ST 15, it's hard for him to do some of his real feats but if you give him a bit more, it's too easy for him to do the other ones). But those problems can be corrected with the right advantages, perks, disadvantages and skills (as you show it with Tesla) ...
  2. If you choose high level attributes, you end up with cinematic characters (who are not anymore realistic). DX 16 give all physical skills at level 10 or above without training. Ditto for IQ 16 with all mental skills ...
  3. High attribute levels can be corrected with disadvantages, as shown by AlexanderHowl ... But two problems raise here: first, it is more easy to boost only what you have to boost than to boost everything and, then, to reduce everything except what you wanted to boost; second, you end up with strange characters: what, Einstein, hidebound and lazy?
So, in my humble opinion, limiting attribute levels is always a good choice. But there may be exceptions, of course. I just never met one.

Last edited by Gollum; 09-22-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #116
Andreas

Quote:
There is no historical character that cannot be created with sensible attributes level (between 8 and 14 or 15).
There are definitely historical characters with attributes less than 8. Even for healthy adults.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #117
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
There are definitely historical characters with attributes less than 8. Even for healthy adults.
Yes, of course ... Sorry. My intention was about scores above 15.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #118
AlexanderHowl

I disagree. You can make any historical character multiple ways, but the most efficient and fun method is not through limiting attributes beyond the RAW rules. While Einstein with IQ 20 is probably cinematic, Einstein with IQ 20, Per 16, and Will 16 would be just as effective for making a physicist as Einstein with IQ 16 and Mathematical Ability 4, and the former character is better overall than the latter character. In addition, the former character is more fun.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #119
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I disagree. You can make any historical character multiple ways, but the most efficient and fun method is not through limiting attributes beyond the RAW rules. While Einstein with IQ 20 is probably cinematic, Einstein with IQ 20, Per 16, and Will 16 would be just as effective for making a physicist as Einstein with IQ 16 and Mathematical Ability 4, and the former character is better overall than the latter character. In addition, the former character is more fun.
Einsten with IQ 20, even with Per 16 and will 16, has almost all mental skills at level 14 or better (expert level!), including Accounting, Animal Handling, Anthropology, Architecture, Armoury, Artillery, Artist, Camouflage ... and so on. So, yes, he may be more fun to play but such a character is not at all realistic.

Unless you give him all the disadvantages you listed above (and maybe even more). But, then, you fall in the problem I mentioned: how can Einstein be hidebound and lazy? All famous geniuses were people well known for working much more than everyone else around. And Einstein was especially open-minded, not hidebound. I once sent one of his texts to my cousin, asking him for fun: "Who wrote that?". My cousin answered: Buddha.

Last edited by Gollum; 09-22-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #120
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Einsten with IQ 20, even with Per 16 and will 16, has almost all mental skills at level 14 or better (expert level!), including Accounting, Animal Handling, Anthropology, Architecture, Armoury, Artillery, Artist, Camouflage ... and so on. So, yes, he may be more fun to play but such a character is not at all realistic.

Unless you give him all the disadvantages you listed above (and maybe even more). But, then, you fall in the problem I mentioned: how can Einstein be hidebound and lazy? All famous geniuses were people well known for working much more than everyone else around. And Einstein was especially open-minded, not hidebound. I once sent one of his texts to my cousin, asking him for fun: "Who wrote that?". My cousin answered: Buddha.
A converted version of Who's Who 1's Einstein is on the GURPSwiki. Attributes and skills were kept as close to the 3e version as was possible.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute