Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: Great Haste at Level 25

If you have Great Haste 25 there is very little reason not to start combat by casting it on yourself
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
corwyn

Well, it's a bit selfish; I could probably increase the party's damage significantly more by hasting the tank (and I do occasionally), but this is more fun for me.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:42 AM   #13
ArchonShiva

Casting it on yourself allows having up to five hasted party members by the end of your third turn, whereas casting it on the tank (and you really probably mean the striker or DPS here) doesn’t scale as well... on top of the fact that they might have run out if range when their initiative came up.

Being hasted yourself also gives you the option to move into position and then casting, as there is no Move & Concentrate maneuver.

At 2FP per party member, you can usually afford more than one casting.

If you want to drive your GM insane, get GH 35 and recast every tenth second with your second action. Ignoring critical failures but using Luck to reroll the really bad ones, you can keep this up all day... and force him to throw rule zero at you. (Note that this costs about [80] on a stock Wizard, balanced with some other game’s ATR.)
Old 12-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #14
corwyn

If I G hasted the entire party, the gm would have to beef up our encounters and I would then be forced to do it nearly every fight. I do not want to be locked into spending 4 turns every fight buffing. I haven't run out in a fight yet, so that's 1/3 of the time buffing. Boring. I save it for tough fights and, yeah, the fighters.

I said tanks because tanks, in gurps, are almost always DPS because tanks means ST means high damage. We have a knight, a holy warrior, 2 thieves, a cleric and, including me, 3 wizards. Since I'm a hybrid Scout, I am the other DPS.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #15
Kalzazz

If you have Recover Energy 20 casting GH on yourself takes 4 minutes to rest up from

On someone else that is going to take them a lot longer to recover from the 5 FP hit
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #16
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If you have Recover Energy 20 casting GH on yourself takes 4 minutes to rest up from

On someone else that is going to take them a lot longer to recover from the 5 FP hit
2 minutes, actually, since 1 is coming from my reserve. Also, lend energy will speed up the process as well since I get effectively 1 per minute and the rest get 1 per 5 or 10 minutes.