Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Magic: Plant Spells

With slow certainty
Great castle and interred king
Crumble and feed me
— Some hack
The latest GURPS item from e23 is GURPS Magic: Plant Spells, by Scott Paul Maykrantz. This isn't Dippy the Druid's Love-In of Peace. With the customary grasping root-and-vine spells and falling-tree-parts spells, magic that turns plants toxic or even into vampires, and several different ways to transform leaves into blades, Nature's Vengeance hits a lot closer to the mark. Of course, there are many perfectly pleasant spells, as well as advantages, perks, disadvantages, meta-traits, and techniques for your tree-hugging casters. Fungus also gets a nod . . . and yes, we know that Fungi and Plantae are different kingdoms, but mushroom-popping mystics historically didn't, and there's no Summon Robert Whittaker spell in the book.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Yami Fowl

Default Re: GURPS Magic: Plant Spells

Very much appreciated!
A must have complement for Magic!
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Greg 1

Bravo!

I imagine that this one will see a lot of use. It adds a lot of interesting options for plant mages.

I would love to see many more like this for other colleges of magic.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Fungus also gets a nod . . . and yes, we know that Fungi and Plantae are different kingdoms, but mushroom-popping mystics historically didn't, and there's no Summon Robert Whittaker spell in the book.
You know it's kind of funny. Fungi are more closely related to animals than to plants, but in most schools, if you want to study fungi, you do so through the Botany Department. Well, you might do it through the Plant Pathology Department instead (that's where all of my academic exposure to fungus comes from).* In other words, the way that academia treats fungus is not much more progressive than Magic: Plant Spells does.

*In case you don't know, plant pathology is the study of diseases of plants. It's a critical part of the advancement of agriculture, as there is a continuous arms race between plant pathogens and plant breeders (and other scientists who combat the pathogens.) Fungi make up a good number of the various plant pathogens. Heck, the crowd of kingdoms that attack the plants is very much larger than those that attack animals.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
dcarson

Game time in my Batman Continues game is currently mid Feb 1980. When spring comes and Poison Ivy shows this will be useful.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
PK

So, this one's sold in the triple digits now, but I haven't heard a lot of feedback on it. (Basically in this thread and over here.) I'm not really trying to shill, just wondering what the general opinion is -- since, among other things, we're wondering whether doing 23 more of these (for the other colleges) would go over well. (As opposed to releasing other GURPS books.)

EDIT: I think my post was totally unclear! I wasn't trying to get a "vote" to see if we should release more, so please don't respond "yes" or "no", or try to vote on the next college to be written up! I was just hoping to get some feedback on what you did and didn't like about Plant Spells. If you haven't bought it, feel free to chime in with your opinion as well!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 11-02-2010 at 10:27 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
b-dog

I bought it an really liked it. I think the spells have a lot of imagination and there are some neat ideas for spellcasters who are druids, plant wizards, elves etc. It made me want to have some more DF books like druids, wilderness adventures, a book for elves and other fairies. I like books like this because they give me a lot of ideas for my games.

Last edited by PK; 11-02-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Thread edit to remove "vote" feel
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
lexington

I would buy an expansion on Illusions or Air. Maybe Fire or Water if I heard it was really clever.

Plant Magic doesn't interest me so much.

Last edited by PK; 11-02-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Thread edit to remove "vote" feel
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

*closes his eyes and crossings fingers while he chants in his head, "please make one for Tech College" *

I know my SO would have loved the Plant Spells, their next requested have been the Animal College 8)

Last edited by PK; 11-02-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Thread edit to remove "vote" feel
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Kazander

Despite the fact that there are around 850 (I think) spells in Magic, a lot of them fail to capture a player's imagination, or they simply are outside practical use under most 'Adventuring' conditions due to lengthy casting times or high cost to cast. Expanding the repertoire should help this, foremost. More 'pizzazz', please!

Last edited by PK; 11-02-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Thread edit to remove "vote" feel
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, plant spells