Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [RPM] Charms and NMZ?

Do all the charms a mage has get erased if have to pass through a No Mana Zone? Or do they just stop working until the mage emerges?

It also says to treat No Mana as 'Permanently Desecrated', so, can mages use their ER in such areas?

Last edited by Kalzazz; 11-12-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Charms and NMZ?

As far as RPM is concerned, a NMZ is just a desecrated area. So the only effect is that ambient energy cannot be gathered; you could still tap your personal reserves, sacrifice FP, etc.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Kalzazz

So no effect on the charms?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Mirkul

I just started RPM myself and from what I understand a charm or conditional ritual already gathered their energy before they are "Triggered". So you can activate a charm in a no-mana zone because your charm already got all the nutritious mana juice it needs.

Though permanently no-mana zone might have additional mumbo jumbo attached to them, like causing everyone (Including the caster) to have some magical resistance because magic is constantly sucked out of the area. Or that casting any sort of spell might trigger some quirk or some wild magic due to the disturbance in magical energy.

Try to set as a general rule why this area is a no-mana zone and make it your mission to make your players life difficult. Well not difficult as to make it impossible, but enough to make them groan and maybe, just maybe, think outside the box. Magic is fun and all but its capricious, if abused it often change its rules. Remember Netheril. Remember Altantis.

Magic is a golden apple :3
Mirkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
starslayer

My concern is that that is radically more 'soft' on RPM than it is on magic as skills, sorcery, or things that have the -10% magical limitation.

For all of the other items above magic does not work in a NMZ- period. Ongoing spells end, delayed and triggered spells end too.

If a witch can still access there charms for full effect in an NMZ and even do casting (just with no gathering allowed)- they are significantly less restricted then anyone else who uses things labeled 'magic'.

From a broader view from the infinite worlds setting RPM witches are absolutely terrifying; strand them on a no-manna world and they wrek almost as much havoc as normal manna world, but they'll have to be more terrifying and make up cults or perform involuntary sacrifice.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If you want to make them hurt in a NMZ you could say that you can't trigger a charm without the presence of at least a little magic.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Gnome

When I GMed a game with RPM, I treated NMZs differently. They basically destroyed all magical energy, so charms were destroyed, energy could be neither gathered nor spent, etc. Seemed more "fair" to the mundanes of the world to give them some countermeasure against magic that has a reasonable chance of working.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
My concern is that that is radically more 'soft' on RPM than it is on magic as skills, sorcery, or things that have the -10% magical limitation.
Right, because base RPM doesn't have that -10% limitation. It isn't dependent on mana zones, but instead on "energy" which can be drawn from personal reserves or from the world around you (if not desecrated).

That said, feel free to change that to fit your game. For example, in DF19, "incantation magic" (a variant of RPM) cannot be used in a NMZ, is at -5 in a LMZ, at +2 in a HMZ, and +5 in a VHMZ. No reason you couldn't do that with standard RPM.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote