Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #21
ianargent

Default Re: All the howitzers

Upon further though, I think the availability of the 6e counter set and the soon-to-be available Ogre Reinforcements set will be better for me than a whole new ODE counter set.

You still get +4 in the HWZ department for PE (I suspect the Reinforcements set will have less than that for the NAC, esp since it'll have the MHWZ for both factions).

(Though the "ample supply of basic infantry and armor" comment on the back cover copy of the Reinforcements back aimed at ODE owners makes me giggle in light of the discussion here. Clearly we don't think we have an "ample supply" :) )
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #22
cedric18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

You might find an extra set of counters more cost-effective. Obviously you will get more trains, and howitzers, and Ogres, but you will get more of the other units as well.

D.
I did this just to increase my number of NAC and PE conventional units. I ended up selling off some of the other sheets and gave away the remaining ones on BGG in a lottery.
cedric18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #23
selenite

The only unit I ever run short of is HVYs. I was drafting some Vatican Guard HVYs to supplement my Mk V defense on Saturday. MSLs I have plenty of.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #24
ianargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
The only unit I ever run short of is HVYs. I was drafting some Vatican Guard HVYs to supplement my Mk V defense on Saturday. MSLs I have plenty of.
In the ODE box you have 8 PE HVY's and another 8 "Belgian" HVYs. Nightfall adds another 3 on their "civilian" sheet (B5). The relative balance of GEV to HVY (there are as many or more GEVs than HVYs for all factions but the Belgians, even discounting the distortion of the ARF and the ACD, neither of whom have any HVYs) is a little weird. All of the ODE factions get enough GEVs to run a "Fuzzy-Wuzzy" Mk.III defense force, but only NAC and BR get enough HVY's to be able to run a "pure HVY" Mk.III defense force.

6e has more GEVs than HVYs as well, but it's not as large a discrepancy (12/10/10 GEV/HVY/MSL)

Fascinating.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
The relative balance of GEV to HVY (there are as many or more GEVs than HVYs for all factions but the Belgians, even discounting the distortion of the ARF and the ACD, neither of whom have any HVYs) is a little weird.
<bias>That's because GEVs are awesome.</bias>

Actually, it's more likely because of the GEVs history in the game. Especially when you look at things like Breakthrough and Raid, there's a very real need for being GEV-heavy on the counters (potentially 16 GEVs on the attacking side alone). Even though the name on the box is Ogre, G.E.V. is firmly planted in the core of the game.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #26
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Even though the name on the box is Ogre, G.E.V. is firmly planted in the core of the game.
After all, what's an Imperial Walker without a swarm of Snowspeeders?
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #27
ianargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
<bias>That's because GEVs are awesome.</bias>

Actually, it's more likely because of the GEVs history in the game. Especially when you look at things like Breakthrough and Raid, there's a very real need for being GEV-heavy on the counters (potentially 16 GEVs on the attacking side alone). Even though the name on the box is Ogre, G.E.V. is firmly planted in the core of the game.
GEV is on the front of one of the boxes. That does explain a lot; thanks. I own a lot of GEV stuff, but never played a whole lot of it.

Always with the tradeoffs
Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #28
rjg173

Quote:
In the ODE box you have 8 PE HVY's and another 8 "Belgian" HVYs. Nightfall adds another 3 on their "civilian" sheet (B5). The relative balance of GEV to HVY (there are as many or more GEVs than HVYs for all factions but the Belgians, even discounting the distortion of the ARF and the ACD, neither of whom have any HVYs) is a little weird. All of the ODE factions get enough GEVs to run a "Fuzzy-Wuzzy" Mk.III defense force, but only NAC and BR get enough HVY's to be able to run a "pure HVY" Mk.III defense force.

6e has more GEVs than HVYs as well, but it's not as large a discrepancy (12/10/10 GEV/HVY/MSL)

Fascinating.
When referring to "Belgian" HVYs, if you mean the units on the B2 sheet, as the sponsor of the sheet I can state there are NO Belgian HVYs. The only Belgian units are the LGEVs, GEVs and the cruise missiles. The other units come from other European countries.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #29
ianargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg173 View Post
When referring to "Belgian" HVYs, if you mean the units on the B2 sheet, as the sponsor of the sheet I can state there are NO Belgian HVYs. The only Belgian units are the LGEVs, GEVs and the cruise missiles. The other units come from other European countries.
My apologies - they're all listed as "belgian" on the inventory sheet I snarfed off BGG some time ago; I was aware that only the listed units were using the Belgian colors; hence the use of scare quotes when I remembered. I suppose I could have called them "multinational."
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #30
selenite

Quote:
In the ODE box you have 8 PE HVY's and another 8 "Belgian" HVYs.
I should merge the Belgian/Thirdforce counters in with the PEs. They're impossible to tell apart in normal lighting anyway.

The lack of HVYs doesn't bother me in non-Ogre games. SHVYs take over their role anywhere outside range of Ogre missiles.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote