Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #61
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
You're determined to take all my money, aren't you? =P
I like to take your money and roll in it like Scrooge McDuck. I like's to make it rain, yo! That's how I roll.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #62
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I hate to keep saying this...but I got something for this in the works.
Indeed you do, and it's frigging awesome ;) I wonder how many people is glaring daggers at, me now. Sorry folks, but I was the one who got Ghosty to start writing articles so I guess I deserve the little perk. Also, it's not like I'm the only one who gets to see his articles before publication...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #63
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
GURPS Magic has had . . . um, one follow-on (Plant Spells), even though there are 23 other colleges. Surely someone likes the ol' spell-magic system enough that it deserves some love?
I have the basics of a Metal College sitting on my HDD. Not sure whether that'd be an example article in Pyramid for expanding a sub-college of the Technology college into a full college or if it's enough to produce a multi-chapter supplement.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #64
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I agree on severe. As RPM energy goes, 1 per acre for something that basically paints a giant EVIL WIZARD HERE sign on your location, one time only, AND cheeses off just about everyone is a really bad exchange rate.

That's my only quibble though: the reward seems very underwhelming for the cost... and that's easily fixed by fiddling with a number. It's also screaming for a Corruption tie-in ;)
Me, I'm less concerned. I mean, sure, you might have to set up your evil lair in the Deep Dark Woods or the Bog of Madness, but then you're far more likely to have access to a good square mile without people nearby. That's a good 640 energy sitting right there for whatever nefarious deeds you can scheme up.

In a modern city I guesstimate an acre is roughly a city block, or perhaps 20 home sized buildings. Though why anybody would be doing something so blatantly evil in such a populated area is beyond my ability to scheme up.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #65
vierasmarius

Hmm... I feel like draining the natural energy from a place shouldn't be so easy. As written, anyone with Magery 0 can (seemingly effortlessly) permanently blight an acre or more - in a single Concentrate maneuver, for an Adept! Shouldn't that at least require an Occult or Thaumatology roll? I'd also make it harder in "protected" places, such as those with a guardian spirit.

I know "Magic can't aid Magic", but I could imagine using a Ritual to "tap" a piece of land. This is similar to how Energy Gathering is already done, except that it has permanent effects and might require an opposed roll against the land's metaphysical HT (modified by the size of the area you're trying to tap).

I also have a similar issue with the minimum energy on Botches. A person without Magery and with just 1 point in Thaumatology can't effectively cast spells, but can still blow himself up spectacularly - and in fact can keep attempting Energy Gathering until he does. It would make more sense to me if a Botch for him just made the ritual fizzle, "burning out" his ability to cast or contribute to spells.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 10-05-2013 at 06:48 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #66
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Hmm... I feel like draining the natural energy from a place shouldn't be so easy. As written, anyone with Magery 0 can (seemingly effortlessly) permanently blight an acre or more - in a single Concentrate maneuver, for an Adept! Shouldn't that at least require an Occult or Thaumatology roll? I'd also make it harder in "protected" places, such as those with a guardian spirit.

I also have a similar issue with the minimum energy on Botches. A person without Magery and with just 1 point in Thaumatology can't effectively cast spells, but can still blow himself up spectacularly - and in fact can keep attempting Energy Gathering until he does. It would make more sense to me if a Botch for him just made the ritual fizzle, "burning out" his ability to cast or contribute to spells.
Burning out his ability to cast is a perfectly viable form of a botch; just have it inflict Greater Destroy Magic with a duration (30 minutes) and affects weight (300 pounds) for a price of 30. The effect of the botch is to completely cut the caster off from mana, leaving him unable to cast any spells.

If you were to use this same ritual on a target, they'd have to win a quick contest against your effective skill in order to cast a spell. However, since this is a botch you automatically fail that quick contest.

EDIT: I do agree about a ritual requirement for tapping a piece of land sounding like a good thing.

EDIT2: Huh. The botch for Path of Magic in the book is pretty similar, though it still allows you to tap into your personal mana storage in order to cast and lasts significantly longer (and lacks affects weight). *shrug* Now you got two choices for it!

Last edited by Langy; 10-05-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #67
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Well . . .
  • GURPS Action has just three releases to four for GURPS Monster Hunters and 17 (and counting) for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. That can't be right.

• GURPS Bio-Tech has never received an expansion. Surely there are ultra-short and short items possible on specific new technologies, quick-and-cinematic gengineering rules, Powers crossovers for bio-powers, etc.?

• GURPS Magic has had . . . um, one follow-on (Plant Spells), even though there are 23 other colleges. Surely someone likes the ol' spell-magic system enough that it deserves some love?

• GURPS Mass Combat still hasn't received a single proposal for worked force rosters, or expanded lists of element types, or an element-design system. Huh, I expected all of those about a week after it came out.

• GURPS Social Engineering seems terribly lonely for such a social supplement. (Full disclosure requires me to note that I have one in the publication queue.)

• GURPS Supers has no follow-ons. Whaaa . . . ? Just the FAQs on these forums suggest stuff like GURPS Supers: Speedsters and GURPS Supers: The Ultimate Brick.

• GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles is itself a spinoff, but where are the worked examples of styles? (Again, full disclosure requires me to note that I have one in the publication queue.)
I'll grant that until our queue starts to clear and we can start accepting proposals again, all of this stuff is academic. However, you asked me about need rather than the practicalities of getting supplements approved, edited, and out the door. :)
I think GURPS Horror begs for a Van-Richten style series. "Jack the Stake" asks the fundamental question "Why destroy vampires when you can become one?`"
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #68
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I think GURPS Horror begs for a Van-Richten style series. "Jack the Stake" asks the fundamental question "Why destroy vampires when you can become one?`"
Van-Richten was my FAVORITE Ravenloft supplement, I had them all. I'd write the hell out of something like that. ;-D

Become a Patron!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #69
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
In a modern city I guesstimate an acre is roughly a city block, or perhaps 20 home sized buildings. Though why anybody would be doing something so blatantly evil in such a populated area is beyond my ability to scheme up.
I take it you haven't tuned into the news lately? ;)

Digging through the book, so worth the wait!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #70
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Indeed you do, and it's frigging awesome ;) I wonder how many people is glaring daggers at, me now. Sorry folks, but I was the one who got Ghosty to start writing articles so I guess I deserve the little perk. Also, it's not like I'm the only one who gets to see his articles before publication...
Now to beat out the remaining dints and hope it all jives.

Become a Patron!

Tags
fantasy, magic, ritual path magic