Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #41
Refplace

Default Re: Psionics in 4th Ed: I'm not getting it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd say that chapters 1 and 2 make it a valuable book whether or not you find chapter 3 useful.
Exactly my point. I even found it useful enough that I bought it twice, PDF and later the softcover.
Yet the head slapping beauty of it is not that its a bunch of new rules but a fleshing out of existing material and in such a way that you still felt you got your moneys worth.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #42
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Personally I feel that GURPS is lacking more books like Psionic Powers, that present the Powers system in bite sized chunks, precooked and ready to eat.
You do not think the Sample Abilities section from Powers did a good enough job in that regard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah I did that too and since it doesn't seem to have been accepted was considering offering part of it for a Pyramid article.
That is too bad. I hope you can get it in print in the other medium.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #43
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
You do not think the Sample Abilities section from Powers did a good enough job in that regard?
That is too bad. I hope you can get it in print in the other medium.
Thank you, if nothing else I will post it in the forums, though that would be kinda clunky and it would get buried quickly. And an authors credit would be kinda neat. Currently all I have are some educational materials and a few articles in a now defunct local gay newspaper (which I actually was paid for). Though not bad for someone with Dyslexia.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Not really. It did a good job on showing how to BUILD the abilities, but Psionic Powers goes far beyond just building the abilities, and into showing how all the pieces of the Powers framework fit together: it not just presents a big set of pre-built abilities, but also presents a fully worked example of all the options to use, what optionals and source specific extras to add, how to organize them in levels so they can be purchased and improved gradually...

Save for a handful of new enhancements and limitations, everything comes from Powers, but it's not evident
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #45
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Not really. It did a good job on showing how to BUILD the abilities, but Psionic Powers goes far beyond just building the abilities, and into showing how all the pieces of the Powers framework fit together: it not just presents a big set of pre-built abilities, but also presents a fully worked example of all the options to use, what optionals and source specific extras to add, how to organize them in levels so they can be purchased and improved gradually...
You do not have to sell me... I got my copy early!

JK! You mentioned the possibility of a submission yourself... got an idea what source you would work on?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #46
Edges

I'll echo Kuroshima's appraisal of Psionic Powers and the worked abilities in Powers.

Even after reading Basic and Powers, I had a feeling that there was more potential to the system than I was appreciating. I found it very valuable for RevPK to use his expertise to offer an example of what GURPS can really do. It has greatly benefited my worldbuilding.

Psionic Powers accelerates the advanced portion of the GURPS learning curve.

If I was Filthy Rich, I'd hire Mr. Levine to write worldbooks for my ideas. : )
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #47
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
You do not have to sell me... I got my copy early!

JK! You mentioned the possibility of a submission yourself... got an idea what source you would work on?
Right now, I'm getting some experience in writing for SJG by doing Pyramid articles (Not a native English speaker) and I must say that using the style guide and the formatting patterns takes some work to get used to. Once I feel confident that I can write up to the standard of SJG, and meet deadlines, I'll check what remains to be done, as before then, it would be vaporware (And being in the software industry, I HATE vaporware)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #48
lachimba

Quote:
I must say that using the style guide and the formatting patterns takes some work to get used to.

I'll Say! You do need to read them a couple of times before you start.

It is a great skill to learn though.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #49
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllarson View Post
Its only high crunch if you go into the nuts and bolts of how to build each ability. If you set that aside, and only deal with prices of the abilities, and their descriptions, you don't have to understand all the crunch. You can play right from that using the Talent/Power/Skill paradigm.

And, if you are familiar with 3E, its a good fit, giving you costs for 4E with the style of 3E.

And when you feel ready to upgrade the designs, the crunch is there to assist you.
But from the perspective of a newbie or in this case, someone returning to the game from an earlier edition, the nuts and bolts are the things that leap out at you. It's completely bewildering in most such cases.

Personally, I find Psionic Powers is a level higher or more in crunch than Imbuments, even though Imbuements introduces totally new stuff and Psionic P. largely takes from Powers.

There is nothing akin to "At level X, the power acquires this new trait, increasing it's cost" in Imbuments, just a skill name, it's class of Imbument type and what it does, and maybe wha it does if the user takes a penalty to the skill.

Psi P. is a good book, but it's a book best used by experienced GURPS players.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #50
Captain-Captain

Quote:

Save for a handful of new enhancements and limitations, everything comes from Powers, but it's not evident

And in doing all that, it became a heavier crunch book than Powers itself, which didn't do that. This btw is NOT an attack on Psionic Powers. It's a statement of a simple fact and relevant here by the other simple fact that the OP specifically used Psionic Powers as an example of why she was having trouble getting back into to GURPS.

Finding ways to dilute the crunch or make it easy for the newbie to build up an immunity to it's crunch shock would be good things to do.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4th edition, help me out there, psionics, rules