Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
(common sense would indicate characters would just go forward and alternatively occupy overlapping hexes, but I don't know what RAW say?)
That's exactly how I do it. I only count a creature in a half hex as being "constrained"* if the other hexes around it are all filled with other creatures or terrain (walls, furniture, etc).

* By which I mean I treat it as being in Close Combat for all intents as purposes due to having limited space to shift about in.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
scc

I think there might be problem with bit for Mana and Sanctity, varying levels shouldn't affect Recover Energy other then by changing skill level. Heck given the way things work I'm not even sure if Sanctity should affect Recover Energy.

You're also missing 'Sanctity' for Druids
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
TODO:
if I had the power to add things to your To Do list it would be these:

1 - Add a clear Entrance. As in a defined entrance point.

2 - Have a map version that lables the 'a' and 'b' stuff on the map.

EI:
East Door a: Oak door (1/2"): DR 2; HP 29; it is locked, a +2 bonus to pick the lock.

East Door b: Oak door (1/2"): DR 2; HP 29; it is locked, no penalty to pick the lock.

These doors are identical on the map, one presumes 'a' is the northernmost door... but...

3 - That room had three doors on the eastern wall, two go into a neighboring room and one to a corridor. The neighboring room only lists one door on it's western wall and that one does not match either of the previous two... so can we get the rooms to list all their doors? Or at least be labeled?

I gather the issue in #3 is probably down to the digger algorithm adding a door when it digs into a new room and the room has already propagated it's description... so... this might not be doable[list all doors], but would the "add labels to the map" be possible?

Last edited by evileeyore; 06-27-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Maz

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I think there might be problem with bit for Mana and Sanctity, varying levels shouldn't affect Recover Energy other then by changing skill level. Heck given the way things work I'm not even sure if Sanctity should affect Recover Energy.
I'll add in the note that preventing Recover Energy is for DFRPG, not straight DF. I'm eventually going to be adding in a ticky-box or something to select between the two rules-sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
You're also missing 'Sanctity' for Druids
"Natures Power" is what druidic stuff is called in DFRPG, I forget what it is in DF - and it's definitely on the list. However that one is more complicated because while you can say mana and sanctity are affected by mysterious unknown forces, Natures Power is from factors directly visible in the environment.

Which means figuring that out means the generator has to pay attention to some of the insane crap it spits out. I'm going to start by primarily basing it on walls/floor construction, which defines the general environmental conditions - which in turn means it depends on those features being properly added.

It's very much on my priority list, it's just quite fussy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
if I had the power to add things to your To Do list it would be these:
You do! You can always request things and presuming they're semi-reasonable I will probably add them on the pile. No guarentee they'll get done in any particular order or speed, but that's the same with my own ToDo items.

Quote:
1 - Add a clear Entrance. As in a defined entrance point.
The stairs up and down are the entrances, depending on which direction you're coming from.

Quote:
2 - Have a map version that lables the 'a' and 'b' stuff on the map.
In the cards, it's actually related to the work on traps, as well as the work I'm doing with the tunneling algorithm

Quote:
3 - That room had three doors on the eastern wall, two go into a neighboring room and one to a corridor. The neighboring room only lists one door on it's western wall and that one does not match either of the previous two... so can we get the rooms to list all their doors? Or at least be labeled?
Yes, that's a problem with two rooms sharing a wall and rudely punching doors in it without informing the other room description. Whats even worse is when they decide to dig a door at the same spot, leaving you with one room listing 3 doors, the other listing 1 door, all with unique descriptions... but there's only 3 doors.

If you use the less tightly packed dungeons they don't share walls as much and it does reduce that kind of nonsense, but that's not a solution (I like the busy dungeons).

As part of the general cleanup in preparation of the tunnel digging changes, I'm going to remove responsibility from door creation out of the hands of the rooms, as the rooms are quite self centered and don't care about anyone else. It's going into the overall tunneling code, as that has a view of the entire map and while it can be very silly, at least it knows not to step on its own toes.

EDIT: And yes, I tend to personify my code. It makes it easier to yell at in frustration.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
rkbrown419

Very cool. thanks for sharing.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
Refplace

Quote:

EDIT: And yes, I tend to personify my code. It makes it easier to yell at in frustration.
LOL
Ill be adding this thread to my resource list
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
The stairs up and down are the entrances, depending on which direction you're coming from.
If you set "Stairs?" to "No"... there are no stairs... if you set it to "Yes" you have no control over how many stairs there are... (granted one can just truncate those hallways, but)...

Quote:
Yes, that's a problem with two rooms sharing a wall and rudely punching doors in it without informing the other room description. Whats even worse is when they decide to dig a door at the same spot, leaving you with one room listing 3 doors, the other listing 1 door, all with unique descriptions... but there's only 3 doors.
Ah, so it's the room propagation algorithm in charge of laying in doors.

Quote:
Just remember that code has feelings too.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #20
scc

Quote:
"Natures Power" is what druidic stuff is called in DFRPG, I forget what it is in DF - and it's definitely on the list. However that one is more complicated because while you can say mana and sanctity are affected by mysterious unknown forces, Natures Power is from factors directly visible in the environment.
I'm not seeing that that. For reference I'm using the GURPSLand hosted version seed of 'The Gauntlet of Ghastly Death' and every else default expect for room layout which is dense.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeons, random dungeon, utility