Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #101
JimTullis

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Calling people "lazy scrubs" probably isn't the right way to convince them to try something. "Grab and play" is a perfectly valid style of gaming.
Maybe, you're right. But I've tried posters, free copies of games and bribes. I can't get Car Wars players with the current edition.

I have plenty of players interested in 6th edition "grab and play" Car Wars (including me) BUT, the wait is draining local interest.

I would have been better off if I hadn't seen the Car Wars add-on in the Ogre Kickstarter 5 years ago. It brought back so much hope.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #102
Parody

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbot View Post
Well, not technically. They say finishing ODE commitments is one of their two priorities, and Car Wars kickstarter was a achieved stretch goal on ODE.
My inner rules lawyer says that they already had a Car Wars related Kickstarter, the one for Arenas. (Not that my rules lawyer has any more power than yours. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I really need 6th to come through. I can't fall back on just playing earlier editions, because I can't get the lazy scrubs here to play anything that requires tinkering. If it doesn't have a pretty new box and easy rules they won't look at it.
If it's only about not wanting to make cars, make cars for them and see if you can draw them in that way. It's probably not, but we do fine at conventions that way.

Last edited by Parody; 04-11-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #103
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
If it's only about not wanting to make cars, make cars for them and see if you can draw them in that way. It's probably not, but we do fine at conventions that way.
I know you guys do great a cons. You've been my sole source of games for a while. And it's hard to get in to the ones you run. But worth it.

It's not the car creation. It's the lack of Shiny Bits. The local gamers want at least Ogre level Bits, and preferably X-Wing level. I'm praying that the Cars are pre-painted, or I'll have to do that for 90% of local players too. (I love the little paper cars. It gives me room for more imagination. )
Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #104
swordtart

Quote:
I know you guys do great a cons. You've been my sole source of games for a while. And it's hard to get in to the ones you run. But worth it.

It's not the car creation. It's the lack of Shiny Bits. The local gamers want at least Ogre level Bits, and preferably X-Wing level. I'm praying that the Cars are pre-painted, or I'll have to do that for 90% of local players too. (I love the little paper cars. It gives me room for more imagination. )
Sounds like you would be better spending your wait time making your own SHINY BITS.

Heck, since you don't have any players, it's not like you have anything else to do with your time ;)
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #105
Magesmiley

Quote:
I'm not sure what part of the country you hail from, but there are a few of us scattered about. It might also be worth checking (and registering) in the game finder (http://www.sjgames.com/gamerfinder/) for other Car Wars players.

Quote:
My recommendation is to build your own collection of shiny bits over time. When getting together to play, only one person really has to have the actual game pieces. The first step might be to look into upgrading the cars from cardboard to something a bit more 3-D.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #106
schoon

Before everyone goes full-doom-and-gloom on this, just because Car Wars wasn't mentioned in the stockholder's report, doesn't mean it doesn't exist as a project.

When Phil posts here that there's been a change in priority or delay, then I'll worry.

There are plenty of things for me to worry about without me creating unverified ones.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #107
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

I'm still pleased that they would rather wait and make the game as they would ultimately like it to be, than rush something out.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #108
AhabDarab

I can't believe that I have waited this long to find out that they don't want my money. So much for the Ogre stretch goal. I cannot properly express my disappointment.

The next Steve Jackson Games item I will buy is Car Wars 6th edition. I will be spending the funds I have been saving for this product elsewhere.

I really feel like I was taken for a ride on this one.

Ahab out . . .
Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #109
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Nowhere have we stated that we have stopped working on this project. There was an in-house playtest a week or two ago. There most certainly will be a Car Wars 6th edition.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #110
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Would we be disappointed when a rushed product comes out? (I'm gonna wager $20 on a big, fat yes.)
Closed Thread