Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [Psionics] Adjustment (& Visualization) Limitations

Looking at the Adjustment ability (Psionic Powers p44), I've been thinking that it could be limited to specific types of actions, or specific skills or attributes, but I'm not entirely clear on how big a limitation each would be.

Example 1: Healing Only. You can use Adjustment to help (or penalize, if you have Cursing) medical skills, as well as HT rolls made by the patient. You can help with a Poison roll to identify a poison and make the antidote, if any, but not to poison someone. This is pretty useful, but still quite restrictive. Is it -40%? -50%? More? Less?

2: [Attribute] rolls Only. You can only enhance (or penalize), DX rolls, or only Will rolls, et cetra. This could be in two levels: rolls on both the Attribute and skills based on it, and Only for rolls on the attribute, not on any skills. The latter, I would suggest could be -80%, which is also the level that I think might be appropriate for One Skill Only Adjustment, but I'm not so sure about the first level, which is probably less restrictive that the Healing Only limitation, above.

3: Psi Only or [Specific Power] Only. You can only adjust skill rolls for psi powers, or rolls for a specific power (or even a specific ability). I would put a single ability at -80%, unless it has a lot of techniques and is very versatile, in which case 70% or 75% might be a better choice. Not so sure about Psi Only or [Specific Power] Only, though.

Also wondering about the reverse, e.g. Cannot Adjust Healing rolls, or Cannot Effect IQ Skills.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Psionics] Adjustment (& Visualization) Limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Example 1: Healing Only. You can use Adjustment to help (or penalize, if you have Cursing) medical skills, as well as HT rolls made by the patient. You can help with a Poison roll to identify a poison and make the antidote, if any, but not to poison someone. This is pretty useful, but still quite restrictive. Is it -40%? -50%? More? Less?
-30% seems about right for something like this.

Quote:
2: [Attribute] rolls Only. You can only enhance (or penalize), DX rolls, or only Will rolls, et cetra. This could be in two levels: rolls on both the Attribute and skills based on it, and Only for rolls on the attribute, not on any skills. The latter, I would suggest could be -80%, which is also the level that I think might be appropriate for One Skill Only Adjustment, but I'm not so sure about the first level, which is probably less restrictive that the Healing Only limitation, above.
-20% to -30% for DX or IQ, maybe another -20% for HT, Per, or Will.

Quote:
3: Psi Only or [Specific Power] Only. You can only adjust skill rolls for psi powers, or rolls for a specific power (or even a specific ability). I would put a single ability at -80%, unless it has a lot of techniques and is very versatile, in which case 70% or 75% might be a better choice. Not so sure about Psi Only or [Specific Power] Only, though.
Theoretically I could get behind that. I think -60% to -70% might be fairer though.

Quote:
Also wondering about the reverse, e.g. Cannot Adjust Healing rolls, or Cannot Effect IQ Skills.
Generally it's worth about the same thing.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
Wavefunction

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread, but you just gave me an interesting idea (combined with the thread on +1 to everything). How about a Visualization that applies to everything, not just success rolls but defense rolls, reaction rolls, damage rolls, roll against a table, etc... Unless Visualization is already supposed to add to some of those, it's a little vaguely described.

Clearly it's some form of Cosmic, but which level, +50%, +100%, or +300%?

My gut says +100%.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread, but you just gave me an interesting idea (combined with the thread on +1 to everything). How about a Visualization that applies to everything, not just success rolls but defense rolls, reaction rolls, damage rolls, roll against a table, etc... Unless Visualization is already supposed to add to some of those, it's a little vaguely described.

Clearly it's some form of Cosmic, but which level, +50%, +100%, or +300%?

My gut says +100%.
Affecting yourself is default visualization
Affecting others (blessing) is +100%
Affecting others negatively (cursing) is +100%

Thus I would likely stat each additional 'thing' that visualization can do as an additional +100%

IE-
Can affect damage rolls +100%
Can affect table rolls +100%
Can affect reaction rolls +100%

That's +300%, and you'll need blessing and cursing to use it on everything, or +500% total.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
-30% seems about right for something like this.

-20% to -30% for DX or IQ, maybe another -20% for HT, Per, or Will.

Theoretically I could get behind that. I think -60% to -70% might be fairer though.

Generally it's worth about the same thing.
Thank you.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, probability, psionic powers