Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #311
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

As the weekend draws to a close, here is a look at the first character for our GURPS Cyberpunk game, "Darknet." It is actually two characters: Alfonse Camus, sneaky hacker dude, and HEX, his swashbuckling online avatar.

Enjoy the peek at how we put 'em together and the discussion on some of the mechanics we'll be using in the games ahead. It has begun!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #312
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
As the weekend draws to a close, here is a look at the first character for our GURPS Cyberpunk game, "Darknet." It is actually two characters: Alfonse Camus, sneaky hacker dude, and HEX, his swashbuckling online avatar.

Enjoy the peek at how we put 'em together and the discussion on some of the mechanics we'll be using in the games ahead. It has begun!
I enjoyed the vid last week and the read just now.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #313
mook

Well, folks, last weekend we had the first game of our new GURPS Cyberpunk group, Darknet! Links to the video and initial player handout are available from the Game Geekery post for those following along.

One of our players wasn't able to make it, so I was able to use his character as bait for the others. We did a little world building, a little (virtual) combat, a little "Who the heck are these guys?"... it was a great time.

I'm working my way back through the video now, hope to have more notes and details to share. What do you think of the launch?

In addition to that, I'm trying to decide what to offer for my usual three slots at Gamex 2018, coming up soon. Only a couple of weeks before pre-registration deadline! Hope to see you there (Friday 2pm, Sunday 2pm, Monday 9am slots).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I enjoyed the vid last week and the read just now.
Thanks, Refplace, hope the first game doesn't disappoint.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #314
mook

Yikes, been a while! Not intentionally, but regardless -- hoping to get back on track.

Slithering forth from the shadows like... a great slithering thing, I return from Parts Unknown with a useful treasure, from Neigutten on the unofficial GURPS Discord server. He put together a character sheet for GURPS Ultra-Lite, and I added a few PDF form fields, and now you, the discriminating Ultra-Lite player, can take it for a spin.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #315
mook

'Ello, GURPSers!

The latest customized GM screen I've been working on is finally done and ready for download.

The font is bigger than my original teeny-tiny 8- and 10-point-er, and the section headings are brightly colored so you can find what you're looking for faster. I'm a huge fan of reading GURPS books for fun, but when I'm at the table GMing, quicker is better.

There are a few deviations from the Basic Set -- no Feint maneuver, range bands instead of the full table, custom tables for criticals and fright checks -- but I think the majority of GMs will find it useful for their games.

It also has a small Do-It-Yourself component, since I included a few tables and rules for myself, personally, that are not publicly available. I made those tables form-fillable in the PDF and noted the Basic Set page numbers, so you can enter that info yourself if you like.

Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #316
mook

Hey all!

A few smaller posts and bits have gone up.

Scattershot - August 2018 talks about a few random gaming tidbits:
  • A small correction to the Color Coded GURPS GM Screen
  • "How to Be a GURPS GM" hitting the Amazon Best Seller category for GURPS
  • Stephen Colbert and Joe Manganiello geeking out about D&D
  • The Fantasy Trip Kickstarter (and the new, unofficial Discord server)

Yesterday's post has some thoughts on the recently announced Limited Publishing Agreement for The Fantasy Trip and how, even though I know better, I can't help but hope that someday it could lead to a similar program for GURPS.

And finally, I've updated the site to fully integrate links to the newly created Fantasy Trip Discord Server, a "sister server" to our much beloved and long-running GURPS Discord Server.

Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #317
mook

Just a quick post today, in response to a couple of folks asking my opinion of "What's the most important thing to know about GURPS before reading it for the first time?"

To me, it would be "Keep in mind that GURPS makes almost no assumptions about the kind of game you want to play." Treating it like another single setting, single play style RPG is the road to frustration!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #318
mook

For this week's GURPSDay, I look at a simple system I'm tinkering with for whipping up a GURPS game in just a few minutes by collaborating with the players to define some key aspects of the game (Genre, Setting, Power Level, Story Type) and then just jumping on in.

Paired with the Quick-Start Character Creation (and maybe the Color Coded GM Screen), you could go from "no game and no PCs" to "here's a game and characters we all came up with together" in as little as 30 minutes (assuming at least the GM already has some GURPS experience; the players can be total newbies).

Though the resulting game can certainly be the starting point for an ongoing campaign, it's particularly great for last-minute pick-up games and convention one-shots. Of course, all this assumes a GM and group who are comfortable building the adventure as they go with no prior prep, but if that's your thing this might be an interesting starting point.

I imagine I'll be revisiting the system and making tweaks. Let me know what you think!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #319
mook

Howdy, Folks!

Just a quick note to let you know that the cyberpunk-ish GURPS game I have been GMing online for some of the fine folks from the Happy Jacks podcast has finally returned with the third installment (fourth if you count the character creation).

Here is the latest game, and here is the playlist of all four videos.

Please, don't be shy with suggestions and constructive criticism. I'm always looking to improve, and I've not been GMing online all that long (relatively). I sometimes feel like my grandpa trying to work the VCR for the first time!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #320
mook

I continue to be obsessed with the unholy abomination of melding GURPS 4th Edition and Fate Core! FURPS? Gate Core?

Today's dark experiment is a quick system for eyeballing skill conversions between the two -- basically, a complete list of all GURPS skills and which of the Fate Core default skills they correspond to (along with some thoughts on adjusting levels and so forth).

Good luck, enjoy, and I hope to see your unnatural characters roaming the Internet unfettered.

Tags
blog, blogs