Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ky´v, Ukraine
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Sometimes ritual for it's own sake IS the point.
In Buddhism?

Anyway, I thought it was considered a long-awaited realization that all rituals are focusing aids to be discarded later (at best) or a waste (at worst). Of course, I'm no big expert.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
The Eye of Eclipse Phase. A Discord server focusing on Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, Transhumanism, and discussion of other assorted topics, from tech to boardgames, from politics to philosophy.
vicky_molokh is offline  
Old 12-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
In Buddhism?

Anyway, I thought it was considered a long-awaited realization that all rituals are focusing aids to be discarded later (at best) or a waste (at worst). Of course, I'm no big expert.
Good point.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is online now  
Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
tantric
Banned
 
tantric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Athens, GA
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Honestly, it depends on your sect. Tibetans love rituals, Zen has fewer. They all know the rituals lack inherent meaning, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. The Buddha resisted efforts to establish Buddhist rituals at first, but then have in. A marriage ritual has no inherent meaning, true, but it has lots of symbolic and emotional meaning for the bride and groom. Thus as the Buddha came to understand that his teachings would become a true religion and not just a philosophy, he allowed his followers to make up such rituals, so long as it was done with Right Intention or whatever.

Consider Tibetan sand paintings. Are they pointless rituals? Not so much, became they teach detachment and emphasize the ephemeral nature of beauty and creation. Knowing that beauty fades with times intellectually is one thing, experiences your own hard work, watching your gorgeous creation be blown away - is a deep learning experience, a dharmic lesson.
tantric is offline  
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Honestly, it depends on your sect. Tibetans love rituals, Zen has fewer. They all know the rituals lack inherent meaning, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. The Buddha resisted efforts to establish Buddhist rituals at first, but then have in. A marriage ritual has no inherent meaning, true, but it has lots of symbolic and emotional meaning for the bride and groom. Thus as the Buddha came to understand that his teachings would become a true religion and not just a philosophy, he allowed his followers to make up such rituals, so long as it was done with Right Intention or whatever.

Consider Tibetan sand paintings. Are they pointless rituals? Not so much, became they teach detachment and emphasize the ephemeral nature of beauty and creation. Knowing that beauty fades with times intellectually is one thing, experiences your own hard work, watching your gorgeous creation be blown away - is a deep learning experience, a dharmic lesson.
Interesting. Then planting the British, Indian, and Nepali flags on top of the highest mountain in the world reminds that all glory is fleeting?
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison

Last edited by jason taylor; 12-24-2009 at 09:05 PM.
jason taylor is online now  
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Interesting. Then planting the British, Indian, and Nepali flags on top of the highest mountain in the world reminds that all glory is fleeting?
Just in case I accidently sounded like I was making a sneer, I am interested enough to take it seriously. What I mean is that does seem to follow.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is online now  
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
tantric
Banned
 
tantric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Athens, GA
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

I don't get your point - and I didn't take it as snarky. Are you telling me that most people see those flags as the domination of the mountain by Man? The poor little frozen ephemeral things?

Flag


Mountain
tantric is offline  
Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I don't get your point - and I didn't take it as snarky. Are you telling me that most people see those flags as the domination of the mountain by Man? The poor little frozen ephemeral things?

Flag


Mountain
No, I was assuming that you would think that a temporary glory can be used to remind one of the lack of permanent glory from earthly achievement.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison

Last edited by jason taylor; 12-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.
jason taylor is online now  
Old 12-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If we go back to DF's roots the Martial Artist basically is a Buddhist monk of the cinematic Shaolin variety.
Yes, that was what I'd reply too. The OP should start with the Martial Artist template, then mention those specific elements on it that he doesn't like, and then he can get help on here with changing them.
Peter Knutsen is offline  
Old 12-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Thanks for the help. I guess I am hoping to create a DF character with a lot of "historical" and real world elements thrown in to add color. As I look at all the wats here I really begin to think about how cool real world religious stuff is and how it would be fun to incorporate that into a DF world as opposed to a generic "cleric" or "martial artist." White wolf added a lot of pseudo historical touches to their games and I feel it added some ambiance. Anyway thanks.
I opted for real-world religions too, in my ─rth fantasy setting (it's historical fantasy and alternate history), because they're so almost infinitely much richer than anything anyone can make up.

So far, my focus has been entirely on Europe and vicinity, though. I haven't really gotten into the proto(-ninja) hill mystics of Japan and their struggle against the Lich Emperor of China.
Peter Knutsen is offline  
Old 12-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #20
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
But DF is an entirely different cookie. I'd say that Buddhist clerics can't do holy/unholy stuff, but that they can put a serious hurt on the squid-god. Make them immune to mind control magics and have a dispel illusions abilities. Then give them psychic powers instead clerical spells.
Yes, I'm big on the Resistance to Illusion thing (often near-Immunity), as a Buddhist (and Christian) concept, both in Modern Action RPG, and in the historical fantasy ─rth setting.

I'm not sure exactly how Resistance to Illusion should be costed in GURPS. Maybe a PR bonus with a Limitation? And ISTR there's a See Invisibility Advantage too, uncomfortably binary for my taste (you either have it or you don't, there's no middle ground) - I prefer to handle the concept of invisibility as a kind of illusion, so that illusion resistance is a gradual phenomenon - but it works (assuming it is there, and I'm not misremembering).

And yes, psychic powers might work too, as in taking the Martial Artist template and giving it some psionic powering-up options.

I'm also not sure how the "vs Squid" thing would work. Probably some kind of Resistance.
Peter Knutsen is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
clerics, dungeon fantasy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.