Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Maz

Default Dirty Tricks in combat

I'm looking for ideas for Dirty Tricks as per Basic p.405 and MA p.76. that can be used in a combat already going. Ie. not a formal contest.

The book mention "liquid/sand in face". But I'm having trouble figure any others.

So any good general "Dirty tricks" ?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dirty Tricks in combat

In a comedic game, "Look, the Goodyear Blimp!"
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Dammann

"Booger-hooking" is probably a dirty trick, but I think it is more practical to try to deny an opponent vision, breathing, or mobility. I guess controlling the head (by the nostrils) could qualify as mobility denial and breath denial.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Ji ji

I think that dirty tricks are situational. Some examples:

- overthrow a floor-candelabrum in front of or on youe opponent
- slip the carpet under his feet
- throw your shoe to him with your foot (difficult, if you wear boots...)
- hit the chandelier over him trying to get it falls (or, hit the rope holding it and shored to floor/walls)
- launch something to him, with a loose trajectory - no straight - trying to take advantage of his instict to grab it

etc.

For the greatest part of situations, them cannot work, and are very cinematographical; but, in right circumstances, with right timing, they can provide you a little edge on him.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
daniel_gudman

Generally there are two approaches to "dirty tricks":

Unfair Advantage:
The pocket-full of sand (or habenero powder, or glass, etc), wearing shin-guards under your jeans, steel-toe boots, packing your boots with gypsum, wrapping your chest and/or arms with several layers of paper over bandaging... in game terms, these are all partial armor and small weapons carried by a character with the Holdout skill. I've heard of people doing all those things but I've never actually met someone that... enthusiastically paranoid?

Spitting in someone's eye is a classic "don't have sand what now" substitution.

Disallowed Attacks:
Thumbs to the eye, shin to the groin, kick to the side or top of the knee, snapping fingers and thumb; in essence, immediately trying to cripple the most sensitive and delicate parts of a human body.

And, of course, pulling a knife during wrestling.

At any rate the first is about being more prepared and the second is about escalating as fast as possible.
daniel_gudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Dammann

This strikes me as a fair distinction between sport martial arts and practical combat arts, to wit, are there rules of conduct?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
wellspring

Years ago in HS, I got in a fight with a guy who kept trying to calm me down, saying things like, "It's ok, man. Take it easy.." and then sucker-punching me. It was surprisingly effective. Of course, he was also three years older than me, so I'm not sure it would work when the stakes are higher or the power levels more even.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Dammann

The old "fishing with Gandhi," huh?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
The old "fishing with Gandhi," huh?
In game terms, it's called a ruse. ;)
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Maz

Hmh, this illustrates my problem with understanding Dirty Tricks.

Because as I see it most of these examples are simple normal combat actions. They might be considered "unfair" but they are not GURPS Dirty Tricks. I don't see anything about them that fall under the rules of "Dirty Tricks" (Potentially requiring IQ checks).

But I think it is also because what really confuse me is, what benefit should you get from making a Dirty Trick. The Liquid in face has clear rules for it.

The "Hey look behind you" I would say is a classic Dirty Trick which IMO would be an opposed IQ check. but what should it do? should it mean the other target spends his entire turn turning around to look behind him?
Or what about "your shoes untied" what benefit would it give me? Same with the "fishing with Gandhi". Would I scarifies my entire turn to do these and what would the actual rules-benefit be? I tend to agree with Wellspring that these are simply Ruses. Not Dirty Tricks.

"launch something to him, with a loose trajectory - no straight - trying to take advantage of his instict to grab it" This one I think is a pretty clever one. It has a pretty logical setup "Hey, think fast!" and the result is pretty obvious (grab thrown object) but should it also make him drop a weapon in order to catch the thing?

----

So I guess my question is more "What is a dirty trick" and what benefit does it give?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, combat rules