Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #41
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Low-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

Are there fastdraw scabbards?
No, sorry . . . Those would be fantasy-tech. Low-Tech is very strictly about tech that archaeologists and historians can confirm. There are rules for crummy scabbards that are not great for Fast-Draw on p. 57, though. Normal scabbards are assumed to be good enough to give no penalty. Note that you could easily apply the Quality rules on p. 14 to the costs on p. 57 and say that the relevant bonus affects Fast-Draw, though.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #42
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Low Tech 4e Errata

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Your tastes are in the minority on this point.
My tastes might be in the minority when compared to the playtest group, but I'd suggest, based on all the other books published out there, that my tastes are in the majority for what normal gamers want in an equipment table.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that the current table isn't useful, I'm saying that the expectation would be for an additional table with armor pieces listed once.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #43
Barghaest

So far I'm semi-satisfied with Low-Tech. It's got lots of stuff I can use (especially the section on armor), I'm just a wee bit irked by all the references to 'Low Tech Companion #' because most of the stuff I want to use will apparently be in them... like scaling, equipment damage and equipment construction.

At least it's only a 'wee bit' of irk :P
Barghaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #44
Kalzazz

Ah. I just figured since quick draw holsters were in High Tech, then quick draw scabbards should be Low tech
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #45
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
My tastes might be in the minority when compared to the playtest group, but I'd suggest, based on all the other books published out there, that my tastes are in the majority for what normal gamers want in an equipment table.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that the current table isn't useful, I'm saying that the expectation would be for an additional table with armor pieces listed once.
We disagree. There was no expectation for an additional table with armor pieces listed separately. The book is quite clear on how to get the results wanted. It doesn't need any such thing. And I would argue that I am part of that "majority" of normal gamers.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #46
Knight_Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
We disagree. There was no expectation for an additional table with armor pieces listed separately. The book is quite clear on how to get the results wanted. It doesn't need any such thing. And I would argue that I am part of that "majority" of normal gamers.
But math man!
My God! Think of my poor brain!
Knight_Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #47
Barghaest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Marshal View Post
But math man!
My God! Think of my poor brain!
Could be worse... could be Champions!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #48
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post

normal gamers
I can say with complete confidence that no such beast exists. That's why there are goodness-knows-how-many systems out there for each subgenre, and why we get wars on forums and mailing lists. Where equipment is concerned, some gamers want first-principles design, some want modular design, some want prefab stuff with customization options, some want One True Canon Item, and some want yet another approach. GURPS has customarily fallen somewhere between the first two options (first-principles design and modular design), being the system that brought you stuff like Vehicles and Robots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barghaest View Post

I'm just a wee bit irked by all the references to 'Low Tech Companion #' because most of the stuff I want to use will apparently be in them... like scaling, equipment damage and equipment construction.
Sorry about that! We had to draw the line between "core" and "supporting" somewhere. Like the distinction between design vs. prefab (above), this is necessarily a purely subjective judgment call. Our aim is to have the three supporting PDFs out by the time the book is printed; the PDF version of Low-Tech is a bit of an advance release, with all that implies for getting support into position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

Ah. I just figured since quick draw holsters were in High Tech, then quick draw scabbards should be Low tech
The difference is that – as far as we know – fast-draw holsters did exist for TL5-8 guns, but fast-draw scabbards didn't exist for TL0-4 melee weapons. Both books are about "what was and is," not "what might be," so they mostly exclude purely conjectural items.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #49
Barghaest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Sorry about that! We had to draw the line between "core" and "supporting" somewhere. Like the distinction between design vs. prefab (above), this is necessarily a purely subjective judgment call. Our aim is to have the three supporting PDFs out by the time the book is printed; the PDF version of Low-Tech is a bit of an advance release, with all that implies for getting support into position.
No biggie... like I said it's just a 'wee bit' XD
Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #50
Barghaest

I am glad they took out the caveat that to layer armor it had to be 'concealable as or under clothing' but I'm still pondering the rigid... I could see someone hanging a mail 'tabard' over plate armor, which could technically be considered layering flexible over rigid and I'd have a hard time telling someone they couldn't (or that the DR wouldn't help) so I see it more as interior rigid layers penalizing the ability of outer layers to be concealed - if you put a breastplate under a chain hauberk it would make it far harder to conceal the suit as a whole than the the hauberk alone...

Tags
agriculture, cabaret chicks on ice, low tech