Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-31-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
corwyn

Default Dragon Heresy

So how much of this book is fluff? Is it worth getting if I don't care about 5e mechanics?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dragon Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
So how much of this book is fluff? Is it worth getting if I don't care about 5e mechanics?
I'd hazard 20-25% of the book is completely distinct from the 5E mechanics. There was a lot of material that was written and eventually cut when I realized a first-timer wouldn't be able to crowdfund 800 pages of written material in three volumes.

Some of the DH material that would be "fluff" is embedded in the "crunch" that is mechanics, but (for example) most if not all of the monsters are in the Nordlond Bestiary. and that was 250 of the 800 pages if not more. Delvers to Grow and the DFRPG core books take the place of a lot of what would be PHB type stuff, and that leaves about 200-300 pages (25-35%) that would be campaign world and fluff even of the original material.

So more fluff was cut than crunch to get from my original work down to the "introductory set."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #3
corwyn

Okay, slight redirect then.

How much of the fluff in the book isn't in the DF books already published. A lot of the Nordlond campaign books have a fair bit of background as well - HoJ, Rosgarth, Forest's End.

Any chance what's left will find it's way into DF?

Old 12-31-2023, 01:30 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Okay, slight redirect then.

How much of the fluff in the book isn't in the DF books already published. A lot of the Nordlond campaign books have a fair bit of background as well - HoJ, Rosgarth, Forest's End.

Any chance what's left will find it's way into DF?
Last answer first: High chance. I've occasionally been asked for a Nordlond sourcebook proper. There are a few things I might wish to do with the setting and I have a few ideas that I need to check if feasible. If so ... a true setting sourcebook would make a lot of sense.

There's a bit of the history of the place, which I might like to change if I brought that material to Nordlond DFRPG instead of Torengar Dragon Heresy. There's MORE on culture and behavior in the DFRPG material than made it into Dragon Heresy, but an expansion of divinity beyond the domain heads might be of use to some.

I hate to say "don't," but honestly most of the published material leans very heavily on the changed mechanics to get from 5E to Dragon Heresy. The DH was originally intended to be a short PDF that said "tweak these things" but I rapidly realized that would be stopping game play every few moments to convert: easier to give it the fantasy heartbreaker treatment.

So the published DH material is very mechanics-heavy, and honestly I'd rather "blow up" the DFRPG world and turn it into one or more islands in my Infinite Archipelago concept than continue the "vast continent, most of which is only vaguely defined" trend started in Dragon Heresy.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:40 PM   #5
corwyn

Thanks for the honesty. I'm just finishing up a Nordlond campaign, having used up all of the high-end content. I'll be revisiting it at some point with a lower point game but I think I can wait on this for now.

BTW, any chance of a sequel to Rosgarth? It's a bit cliffhangery.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Thanks for the honesty. I'm just finishing up a Nordlond campaign, having used up all of the high-end content. I'll be revisiting it at some point with a lower point game but I think I can wait on this for now.

BTW, any chance of a sequel to Rosgarth? It's a bit cliffhangery.
Need to talk to Kyle on that one. He definitely had a sequel in mind, but it's been a very, very rough 2023 for backer counts for ANY project, and DFRPG are costly to produce due to full-color that I don't really want to give up (I think DFRPG/GURPS fans should get good-looking stuff, because if I were on the buying side, I'd want good looking stuff).

We'll see. I expect my 2023 fiscal report to say nothing good, and I know I ended the year on a down note from a payroll and working capital perspective. Doing a full-on adventure that's high point total - which is what a Rosgarth direct sequel would be - would be rough going.

That being said ... I can think of a few ways to go there that would maybe allow some nifty things to happen. So no promises, but I do have some ideas.
Old 12-31-2023, 05:43 PM   #7
corwyn

One more thing. Will Nightmare fuel/Shields Up be available on W23?

Old 12-31-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Last answer first: High chance. I've occasionally been asked for a Nordlond sourcebook proper. There are a few things I might wish to do with the setting and I have a few ideas that I need to check if feasible. If so ... a true setting sourcebook would make a lot of sense.
I would love to see a Nordlond sourcebook. It is a fun world.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:33 PM   #9
corwyn

I'm very happy to see a gurps setting that I can demo gurps/DF with.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:19 AM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
One more thing. Will Nightmare fuel/Shields Up be available on W23?
Eventually, and likely sooner rather than later in PDF at least. When last we spoke about warehousing, SJGames was wary about any extra space taken up by not-SJGames stuff, so physical product there seems like a discussion to have.