Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Soft announcement: new Ogre set!

An announcement! Sometime this year we’re going to release a new Ogre set in the Ogre Designer’s Edition scale. But this “Ogre 6th Edition” will include only the Ogre map (exactly the same as the one in the ODE), the Ogre rules, and a generous helping of counters to play them.

This is a “soft” announcement. The real announcement will include little details like the actual release date, the full contents, and the price. We are trying for “summer or fall” and $49.95, but print buying isn’t done yet so nothing is set in stone.

The counters are done. The Ogres (and their four GEVs) are a very cool new maroon-and-gray, and the defenders are also a new faction color: blue with light-blue accents. Very spiffy. There are map overlays and “?” counters, and the ten ? counters are red so they don’t duplicate the ones in ODE.

The rules are merely ALMOST done, and that’s what the attachment is. Proofreading welcome! As you’ll see, this was created by cutting down the ODE rules, so there may still be some orphan mentions of (for instance) overrun attacks. You can help by pointing out any such thing. I’m actually more worried that I might have accidentally deleted a rule you need to play Ogre. So: “many eyes make all bugs shallow.” Tell me what you see.

However, things I don’t need are:

(0) comments that some rule numbers have been skipped. They sure have! I’m preserving the ODE numbering by just knocking out G.E.V. rules and NOT changing the remaining numbers. Now, if you find that decision to be confusing and disorienting, do say so. People so far have been good with it, but you are a larger test group. (And yes, if you think you see a mistake in the skipped numbering itself, DO tell me!!)

(1) suggestions on changing the rules. If you must advocate a Move 3/4 GEV, for instance, start a new thread for it. This is a proofreading thread.

(2) comments on the illustrations. Every counter illustration in the rules will be completely remade using the new unit colors. That will happen AFTER the words are completely finalized, as part of the layout process. If I had done them already, I’d have to change some sizes when the words were finalized, and our heroic production department does not need to be redoing anything they don’t have to. I know perfectly well that there are MHWZs and LGEVs and so on in these images. They’re just placeholders now, for “yep, some counter art will be close to here.”

Anticipated FAQ:

Q: When will the full announcement be? A: Probably at the GAMA show in Las Vegas, if we are satisfied with our print buying by then. We’ll certainly know more at that time, and we’ll share what we have. We will have two seminars and a penthouse party at GAMA . . . retailers, come see us and check out the prototypes!

Q: I already have the ODE. Why do I need this new set? A: You don’t. Your ODE contains enough maps and counters for you to play until the Sun goes dim. This new set is for all those people who would have bought the ODE if they’d found out in time, and all the people who have learned to play from their friends with the ODE and want their own copy, and all the kids who don’t play wargames yet, but when they’re a bit older, YOU will teach them.

Q: Will this be a Kickstarter? A: No, this will be sold through normal retail channels. Meaning, your local game store.

Q: Is this the promised “expansion set” from the Kickstarter? A: No, this is entirely separate. The expansion set will contain, among other things, an Ogre that has not yet been in 3-D form, and maps S3 and G3.

Q: This box will be even bigger than the ODE, right? A: No. No, no, no. Aieeee. It will probably be about 11” square by about 4” tall.

Q: Are the faction colors different from those in the ODE? A: You’re just looking for an excuse to buy it anyway, aren’t you? Yes, they’re different. But . . .

Q: Will I be able to buy JUST the counter sheets? A: Print buying question. I hope we will be able to offer that 2-sheet set through W23 at a reasonable price, but the amount will be limited.

Q: Will there be a die? An Ogre garage? A: Yes to the die; it will be a new color. Yes to the Ogre garage, too, but the details are still in print buying.

Q: Anybody you want to thank for help on this one? A: See, that’s why it’s nice to make up the questions myself. Yes. Thanks to Phil Reed for his constant support, to Sam Mitschke for physical design, to Gabby Ruenes for great coloring and layout in many iterations, and to Drew Metzger for providing an early outside review of this rulebook.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ogre 6e Rules.pdf (3.55 MB, 334 views)

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 02-07-2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Replace PDF
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
ianargent

Default Re: Soft announcement: new Ogre set!

Will this incorporate the errata?
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
adm

I've downloaded the rules twice, are pages 13 through 19 supposed to be blank?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
hagbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
They're not done yet so possibly soon.
hagbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
It's a 12-page rulebook. (goes and looks). Okay, I see what happened. Spurious/leftover pages at the end of the PDF. I've been doing my own checking from a printout. Congrats, adm, for the first erratum spotted :)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
andreww

Hot diggity dog!

More Ogre in any form is great news. This will be a more portable set for playing the basic scenarios, the +4 G.E.V. scenarios, and the Ogre Scenario Book scenarios, which is quite a bit.

Thanks for resisting the temptation to throw in just one extra new thing so the owner's of DE would be compelled to buy this.

I don't "need" this, but...
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
greyarea

Fantastic!
greyarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
HeatDeath

Aren't the ODE Quickstart rules already an "Orange Map Only" proper subset of the ODE rules?

That text, which I've never heard anyone complain about on this forum or BGG, should most likely be carried over verbatim, I would think. Though it looks like, from this PDF, that you're also wanting to include the Cruise Missile, Laser Tower, and Building rules sections, to support the scenarios from the Orange Map section of the Scenarios book. A case can also be made for including the 3 AU SHVY partial-damage rules, which I see are still in this PDF.

Edit: I see from an earlier response that the extra pages are spurious and do not reflect an intention to include cruise missiles, laser towers, or buildings. NM.

The new faction colors are cool. My first question was going to be whether the defending force will be using the existing PE line art, the existing Combine line art, or new line art altogether. The illustrations in the new PDF strongly imply that the existing line art will be used (although the illustration of the GEV pieces is conspicuous in its absence) but doesn't say which side will get which set of designs.

EDIT: The text in the PDF states in a couple of places, quite unambiguously, that the attacking Ogres are combine and the defending armor and infantry are PE. I would therefore expect the line art to reflect this.

Of course the counter mix is of great interest to me - PE didn't get anywhere near enough Heavy Tanks in ODE, and I'm curious to know if monoculture defenses will be possible.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 02-06-2016 at 11:05 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Dave Crowell

Excellent news! If I weren't a KS backer I would be begging to preorder this now. As an Ogre fan I will probably buy it anyway to have a "portable" copy.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
MadWombat

Happy store owner here, planning space for the new OGRE goodness.

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
MadWombat is offline   Reply With Quote