Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Apollonian

Default RPM: Astral & Planar Travel spells

I'm working out some planar travel spells for my Cabal game and would like a little rules-checking...

These are both adapted from the Cabal 3rd ed book.

Planar Visit
Project caster’s mind into another Realm. “The caster projects his ka to another Realm. The caster’s senses are altered to correspond to the average plane dweller’s. If the spell ends before the caster’s ka rejoins his body, or if his body is harmed while his spirit is away, he must roll vs. HT to stay alive! The caster’s body is totally defenseless for the duration of the spell.”

Spell Effects: Greater Control Mind
Inherent Modifiers: Extradimensional Range, Speed
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Extradimensional Range (10) + Speed, 10 yards/second (4) + Duration, 3 hours (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 78 energy. (26 x 3)

As elixir: Add Lesser Create Magic effect. Costs 96 energy.

Note that this is meant to provide a rough equivalent to Astral Travel (Psionic Powers) for mages.

Plane Shift
The caster physically shifts to another Realm. If he is travelling to the Astral Plane, he appears at the spot that corresponds to his current location in the Near Astral (or vice versa if traveling from the Near Astral to the Material), or to a point in the Deep Astral specified upon casting.

Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Extradimensional Range

Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Extradimensional Range (10) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 57 energy (19 x 3).
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM: Astral & Planar Travel spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post

Planar Visit
Project caster’s mind into another Realm. “The caster projects his ka to another Realm. The caster’s senses are altered to correspond to the average plane dweller’s. If the spell ends before the caster’s ka rejoins his body, or if his body is harmed while his spirit is away, he must roll vs. HT to stay alive! The caster’s body is totally defenseless for the duration of the spell.”

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Extradimensional Range (10) + Speed, 10 yards/second (4) + Duration, 3 hours (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 78 energy. (26 x 3)
You don't need Subject Weight for non-physical effects (which this is - you're projecting your mind outward).

Quote:
Plane Shift
The caster physically shifts to another Realm. If he is travelling to the Astral Plane, he appears at the spot that corresponds to his current location in the Near Astral (or vice versa if traveling from the Near Astral to the Material), or to a point in the Deep Astral specified upon casting.

Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Extradimensional Range

Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Extradimensional Range (10) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 57 energy (19 x 3).
This looks good.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 06-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Apollonian

Thanks! I've added these to the RPM rituals thread.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks! I've added these to the RPM rituals thread.
Cool. Good luck. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Shostak

Quote:
Planar Visit

As elixir: Add Lesser Create Magic effect. Costs 96 energy.

Note that this is meant to provide a rough equivalent to Astral Travel (Psionic Powers) for mages.
I think this needs Greater Create Crossroads to give access to the Astral Realm, and Transform Mind + Transform Spirit instead of Greater Control Mind to turn the mind into something native to that plane (see "Transform" THM:RPM p.16). Maybe even Greater Transform. With the Crossroads path used, the extradimensional range and speed modifiers could be jettisoned. This will more than double the energy required.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I think this needs Greater Create Crossroads to give access to the Astral Realm, and Transform Mind + Transform Spirit instead of Greater Control Mind to turn the mind into something native to that plane (see "Transform" THM:RPM p.16). Maybe even Greater Transform. With the Crossroads path used, the extradimensional range and speed modifiers could be jettisoned. This will more than double the energy required.
... I have no idea why I went with Greater Control Mind.

At any rate, an equivalent effect would be a Greater Strengthen Mind to grant Jumper with some discounts, which would be around, say 80 points... y'know, I'm just going to start a new thread to hammer this whole dimensional projection thing out.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Shostak

Quote:

At any rate, an equivalent effect would be a Greater Strengthen Mind to grant Jumper with some discounts, which would be around, say 80 points... y'know, I'm just going to start a new thread to hammer this whole dimensional projection thing out.
Again, I think you want Crossroads for any travel to other planes, dimensions, or times.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
Apollonian

Quote:
Again, I think you want Crossroads for any travel to other planes, dimensions, or times.
The effect I was thinking there was... let's see:

The caster gains the Jumper advantage for 6 hours.

Greater Strengthen Mind (3) + Altered Trait, Jumper (world) (100) + Duration, 12 hours (6). 327 energy (109 x 3).

The spell itself has nothing to do with interdimensional travel, save that it's granting an advantage that allows it.

At any rate, here's the other thread.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
DeathDaisy

Quote:
The effect I was thinking there was... let's see:

The caster gains the Jumper advantage for 6 hours.

Greater Strengthen Mind (3) + Altered Trait, Jumper (world) (100) + Duration, 12 hours (6). 327 energy (109 x 3).

The spell itself has nothing to do with interdimensional travel, save that it's granting an advantage that allows it.

At any rate, here's the other thread.
Gotta go with Shotak here; the description for Path of Crossroads in T:RPM says explicitly that Greater effects can affect people and their powers, which I interpret as being able to create them too.
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It depends on the campaign metaphysics. In my current campaign you could theoretically do both because the astral plane is very much a dimension of the mind as well as spirit.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ritual path magic