Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Magic Weapon: Advantage or Signature Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Like I said, Sigear sounds like it represents my concept perfectly, it's just so cheap - stacked up to advantages and cyber, it's unbalanced.
Anything you can buy with money is likely to be 'unbalanced' against similar abilities bought on points. This is expected. GURPS doesn't consider available gear to be part of point-balance.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
Dragyn

Quote:
Like I said, Sigear sounds like it represents my concept perfectly, it's just so cheap - stacked up to advantages and cyber, it's unbalanced.
But how are you're Street Sams gonna like that?

Is the price of the Tomahawk and similar items as Sig Gear comparable to that of a Pancor?

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #23
Lorka

If you are trying to replace Shadowrun rules I would definitely make is as an advantage - the items are bound to the magic user, and while others can steal them they have to bind them themselves, that is spend the points to make it work, thats how it works in the Shadowrun rules and how I would rule it in GURPS.
Lorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #24
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragwulf View Post
But how are you're Street Sams gonna like that?
That's my original reason for comparing the two: Sigear was designed to do EXACTLY what I want but it is WAY to cheap to be balanced compared to the high cost of most cyber a street sam is packing.

For Example, Cyber Claws do Thr Cutting for 6 points, the outlined tomahawk does SWG+3 Cutting as well as +1 to Hit and Afffects Insubstantial for 5 points - sure it can be disarmed and stolen, but it can also be thrown, which about of balances it out.
Danukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #25
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
That's my original reason for comparing the two: Sigear was designed to do EXACTLY what I want but it is WAY to cheap to be balanced compared to the high cost of most cyber a street sam is packing.

For Example, Cyber Claws do Thr Cutting for 6 points, the outlined tomahawk does SWG+3 Cutting as well as +1 to Hit and Afffects Insubstantial for 5 points - sure it can be disarmed and stolen, but it can also be thrown, which about of balances it out.
The counterpoint is that the street sam can buy a magic tomahawk too. This does of course mean that cyber claws are only a good idea if you really want the benefits of them as an Advantage, rather than wanting to have a blade on you and thinking they're the cool way to do that.

If the street sam can't buy a magic tomahawk for himself, then getting it as sig gear may not be the right thing to do.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
warmachine

Quote:
Well, cybernetics breaks that definition: it's powerful technology bought as an advantage, so yeah - I'd have to say that the SG trait is broken RAW.
I don't know Shadowrun but how to treat cybernetic enhancements depends on how common improvements are in the campaign. If enhancements can be bought and installed by anyone with the cash, it's just equipment but also requires you to have a few CP spare. PCs can easily acquire enhancements but so can any NPC. Use Signature Gear for the plot protection. If enhancements are uncommon, buy them at character creation as Advantages without money cost. In the game, enhancements are bought like other traits but also requires you to have some spare cash. PCs can acquire them with difficulty and only powerful NPCs acquire them.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The counterpoint is that the street sam can buy a magic tomahawk too. This does of course mean that cyber claws are only a good idea if you really want the benefits of them as an Advantage, rather than wanting to have a blade on you and thinking they're the cool way to do that.

If the street sam can't buy a magic tomahawk for himself, then getting it as sig gear may not be the right thing to do.
Besides which, any Shadowrun Street Sam worth his chrome will prefer Mono-edged Talons..

Talons (Switchable +10%, Armor Divisor (10) +200%) [24]

<><
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
David Johnston2

Quote:

But then the point of Cyber Claws is to be able to pull surprise attacks when apparently unarmed. If you want to kill people at range with an obvious weapon, use a gun.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #29
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
But then the point of Cyber Claws is to be able to pull surprise attacks when apparently unarmed. If you want to kill people at range with an obvious weapon, use a gun.
The man has a point.

<><
Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #30
PK

Quote:
Okay - I am starting a Shadowrun style [Cyberpunk + Fantasy] campaign, and was writing up sample characters when I noticed a major discrepancy in point cost for a magic item: I wanted to make a tomahawk that affected insubstantial for a Shaman. There are two ways recommended to do this as listed in The Book: as Signature Gear, or as an Advantage.
If this is something that anyone can theoretically purchase, then buy it as Signature Gear. Save the "advantage + gadget limitations" builds for situations where you're buying something that doesn't normally exist in the game world -- something that can't be explained with whatever technology or magic exists.

So this sounds like Signature Gear to me.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote